6.5 - 2900 ft/s most efficiently?

A guy showed up at the range a couple of days ago with a new custom. I offered to chronograph it with my magnetospeed to help out as he forgot his tripod for his chrono. Rifle has a 22" proof barrel, velocity average was 2980 fps with Hornady factory ammo and 143 ELD-X. Accurate too. Know you KNOW what this new chambering will do. Expect a bit more velocity capability with a 24" barrel.

A guy showed up at the range a couple of days ago with a new custom. I offered to chronograph it with my magnetospeed to help out as he forgot his tripod for his chrono. Rifle has a 22" proof barrel, velocity average was 2980 fps with Hornady factory ammo and 143 ELD-X. Accurate too. Know you KNOW what this new chambering will do. Expect a bit more velocity capability with a 24" barrel.

What caliber was this? The 6.5x284?

I believe the 260AI will get there the most efficiently (less powder) than the others, but it requires fire forming brass.

6.5-284 you might have to push max loads to get to 2900 in 140gr plus with 24 in barrel, depends on the gun. In both of my 6.5-06 I have to push max loads to get 2900 fps out of 140gr

The short mags SAUM, PRC, SS will get there the easiest without pushing them at all, but they will take the most powder to run.

It depends on your definition of efficient, if it were me I would go with 6.5-284 or PRC, just because I don't like to form cases anymore, I prefer correctly stamped brass

Don't think Hornady makes 6.5 x.284 ammo. They do make 6.5 PRC with 143 ELD X bullets that has muzzle velocity of 2960 fps with a 24" barrel, so would assume this is what the guy was shooting.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said "factory" ammo . Should have known!

For what you are wanting, this is as good as it gets.

For the 6.5 PRC to be held up as being so efficient of a case then why is every load on that load sheet a compressed load. If they are all compressed then I would think the load is not as good as it all talked up to be.

Sure makes it tough to compare cartridges when it isn't mentioned! The custom was chambered in 6.5 PRC with 143 ELD-X factory ammo.

So far, based on actual results there sure doesn't seem to be anything that indicates there is much if any material difference between the 6.5PRC and 6.5x284 other then the(rather subtle) case dimensions. Pressures, charge weights, accuracy, velocity, ES, and powder capacity is comparable. Many are coming to the conclusion that the 6.5 PRC is more efficient(or performs better) based on load data shown in the reloading manuals, not understanding that the 6.5x284 loads are understated because of historical differences in throating. Anecdotes about velocity differences with either cartridge between specific barrels can also be misleading since velocities can swing as much as 50FPS with either. Barrel life differences between the two remain to be seen, but will likely be comparable under similar conditions. The major benefit of the 6.5PRC is the availability of higher performance factory ammo. Special accommodations to the feeding system are neccessary to achieve the performance of the 6.5PRC cartridge in a true short action. Pick your poison!

Greyfox,

I agree with your assessment. I also think the 6.5 PRC and 6.5-284 are very similar. As a handloader I would choose the 6.5-284 because there is quality brass available. If I wanted to shoot factory ammo, I would choose the 6.5 PRC.

I endorse the 6.5x284 Norma for all reasons mention and no need to repeat.

I will add there are options for the 6.5x284 shooter that does not reload. For instance Copper Creek produces ammunition that does shoot sub .5 MOA, 2950fps as advertised through my custom rifle with 24'' Proof carbon wrap barrel.

as I said previously, I run a 6.5-06... it feeds butter smooth, find brass anywhere so it will always be around, and it has equal or slightly better ballistics... my bartlein barrel has never had any load go over 1 moa when developing. it's a laser with re26, re25, h1000... all gave amazing accuracy but re26 did give a velocity boost over the others. you can use .270 win, .280, 25-06, 30-06, and a European cartridge 7x64 brenneke brass... I currently run norma 30-06 brass in one pass through my sizing die to form.

Last edited:
I'll be running a 260AI with 25" Rock Creek barrel. I don't think I'll have any problem getting 2900 FPS with 140-143gr bullets. But will be pushing for 147gr plus bullets going around 2950 fps. I'll probably need to coat with HBN. I may not achieve it but some barrels are faster than others so we'll see.

My wife's 260 reloaded with rl17 gets in the ballpark of 2900 or faster..dont remember off top of my head....it is a safe load in her rifle and shoots really good....i found decent accuracy with my 65284 with rl26 around 2960fps...but needs to be refined a touch more....

I would really like to know if anyone has shot their 26nosler with rl26...as accurate says it is made for magnum cartridges......
Right now with rl33, 75gr it spitting 3200fps....what i can't figure out is why at 100 yards it shoots 1-1.5"....but at long distance it's likes to suck them in tighter....first time shooting it at 1000yds plus it took me five shots to hit the little rock....first two were without wind correction..hit about 20" right..third with wind correction shot right underneath poa...140ab...
Shot with 140 Berger same wind and hit 1/2 the distance of 140ab...
Corrected for wind and spun the rock around...
Again...that was first time shooting over 1000yd....
26nosler isn't what you are asking about....but I also had only 19.25moa from site in at 200yds......my 65284 has over 23moa to get that far....which I plan to improve upon....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.