45-70 bullets for elk

My final load for the hunt was 54.5Gr. of Varget with the 405 Cast Per. running about 1750. The recoil was stout but not uncomfortable, due to the weight of the rifle and the recoil pad installed. The country was hilly with scrub cedars rather close together. It took about 5 hours to get on a small herd that was cutting through cedars on the opposite hillside. When I got into position one of the herd caught a glimpse of me and they took off. Later we caught them stepping into a food plot and I set up behind a small cedar for the shot. The distance was just under a 100 yards.
She was quartered toward me, I went for the point of the shoulder, the CP 405 blew a sizable hole in the near lung and angled through and out the other side, out of the paunch. She turned, made 2 steps and slammed the ground. Blood was all over the ground, I was most impressed with the performance!
View attachment 442199
Excellent. Great hunt and thanks for the followup post. Always nice to see how things work out. You can see why so many Bison were effectively killed by 45-70 and 50 Sharps. Big heavy bullets don't have to be going fast to do an awesome job.