45-70 Bullet for Bison Hunt

CMP70306

Good Morning Everyone,

So almost a decade after I bought a Shiloh Sharps I have decided it's finally time to go on a bison hunt. The trip will be in January 2022 so I have until then to get my load squared away.

Coming from a whitetail background I'm currently on the fence in regards to the particular bullet to use, do I go modern with one of the hammers or do I go old school and run one of the 500gr Paper Patched bullets? I've heard they are incredibly hard to kill if not hit right so would it be better to take the lung shot or should I go for the behind the ear shot to drop them outright?

Still doing some research so any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Man that's a tough call. Just for the nostalgia I think I'd go the paper patched bullet. Maybe try both the PP bullets and the Hammers and see which shoot the best and give you the terminal performance to match your hunt.

I agree with the idea of going with a classic projectile considering that you've chosen to hunt with a Shiloh Sharps.

But if you decide to use a modern projectile, I had good luck with the 402gr Hammer bullet at 1,700 ft/sec. Hammer just started to produce lighter (45-70) bullets about the time I ordered a few boxes of the 402gr bullets. Even their 276-300gr would probably work fine but the 45-70 is really a heavy bullet cartridge IMO.

Buffalo can absorb more horse power that you might think. I shot a 2.5 yr old bull twice with a 375 Ruger and a 260 Partition bullet. Both bullets went just behind the shoulder and were caught in the hide on the opposite side. The buffalo just stood there and took both impacts. He fell over when he was good & ready.

After watching what a 300g Barnes X did to a black bear my son shot, the first thing that went thru mule mind was how awesome it would be to shoot a Buffalo or Brown Bear with one.

You aren't likely to be shooting long distance so Ultimate accuracy is not the biggest consideration. Anything that will do under 2" at 100 will work fine.. I would load a 500-550 grain Cast at about 1400 fps. That will exit the Bison on just about any angle. If you want to use a jacketed bullet then it is very hard to beat the RN Hornady 500 grain bullets. They are accurate, great penetration and easy to come by. Good luck on your hunt.

S
bison_skeleton_xray_illustration.jpg

WhitetailDeerAnatomyOrgans2.jpg

th

Study the anatomy of a Bison. They are built VERY different than a whitetail. The reason so many wander off after being shot is they are hit too far back. What most people think is right behind the shoulder is actually way too far back and will even miss the lungs if not hit quite high near the back bone.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone,

So almost a decade after I bought a Shiloh Sharps I have decided it's finally time to go on a bison hunt. The trip will be in January 2022 so I have until then to get my load squared away.

Coming from a whitetail background I'm currently on the fence in regards to the particular bullet to use, do I go modern with one of the hammers or do I go old school and run one of the 500gr Paper Patched bullets? I've heard they are incredibly hard to kill if not hit right so would it be better to take the lung shot or should I go for the behind the ear shot to drop them outright?

Still doing some research so any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you going on your hunt? Henry mountains? Wyoming perhaps?

Where are you going on your hunt? Henry mountains? Wyoming perhaps?

I'm going to the Dismal River Club in Nebraska which worked the best for what I wanted to do. I had looked around for a few years at applying to hunt some of the wild herds but in all honesty with the tag cost, low non resident tag counts leading to long wait time, high pressure in small areas just outside the parks and no guarantee of a shot at a nice bull it just seemed like a lot of effort for very little benefit over hunting one on a ranch.

On the flip side I absolutely have no interest in hunting the equivalent of a fluffy cow where they are raised by people so you are just walking up to them at 20 yards and shooting which it seemed like a bunch of ranch hunts offered. Based on the research that I did the bison on the Dismal River only get human interaction when they are hunted so they tend to behave more like wild animals from what I've seen.

This also location also works out as they offer upland bird hunting as well so my Dad and Brother will come with me as observers on the bison hunt and then we will spend the rest of the trip hunting pheasants together.

I agree with the idea of going with a classic projectile considering that you've chosen to hunt with a Shiloh Sharps.

But if you decide to use a modern projectile, I had good luck with the 402gr Hammer bullet at 1,700 ft/sec. Hammer just started to produce lighter (45-70) bullets about the time I ordered a few boxes of the 402gr bullets. Even their 276-300gr would probably work fine but the 45-70 is really a heavy bullet cartridge IMO.

Buffalo can absorb more horse power that you might think. I shot a 2.5 yr old bull twice with a 375 Ruger and a 260 Partition bullet. Both bullets went just behind the shoulder and were caught in the hide on the opposite side. The buffalo just stood there and took both impacts. He fell over when he was good & ready.

I've previously loaded some 550gr bullets along with some of the 300gr Lehigh defense bullets but never got to take any game with them. The 550gr however are not much fun to shoot with a steel butt plate so recently I've been loading the 405gr with trail boss as a fun plinking load but at 1100 fps I think it would be too slow to penetrate deep enough.

For the Hammers I was debating the 402 vs the 447 as I thought they would give better penetration due to the higher S.D. and I was concerned the 300 might give up too much velocity if I have to reach out to 200 yards.

Don't over think your bullet choice.....they are not hard to kill. I shot my free range MT bison with a 26 Nosler in the neck. The best shot is either in the neck, or right behind the ear. Do not shoot them in the shoulder to try to get a heart shot or you will waste a ton of the best meat you will ever eat. Again, they are NOT a tough animal to kill.

Don't over think your bullet choice.....they are not hard to kill. I shot my free range MT bison with a 26 Nosler in the neck. The best shot is either in the neck, or right behind the ear. Do not shoot them in the shoulder to try to get a heart shot or you will waste a ton of the best meat you will ever eat. Again, they are NOT a tough animal to kill.
If you drive a 405 to 500 grain bullet at 1500 FPS it will go clear through a Bison. Making them go faster will NOT improve the results, it just beats the snot out of the shooter.

I have posted this on other 45-70 threads and it matches my experience as well.

This is by Randy Garret of Garret Ammunition Manufacturers.
https://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

PENETRATION: THE 45-70 & 458 MAGNUMS

The following article is based on bullet penetration test results as measured in water-saturated penetration materials (wet newspapers). Water is the primary substance of life, and constitutes about 90% of the content of all mammals. I have observed that some "testers" have chosen wood boards or dry newspapers for penetration testing material, and this is a very poor choice, which in no way simulates the characteristics of a bullet impact with animal flesh. Wood tends to channel the bullet path, and is less demonstrative of the terminal instabilities inherent to non-expanding bullets when impacting game animals, and is thus an inferior material for the testing of bullet penetration characteristics. Water-saturated penetration materials such as newspapers or ballistic gelatin are far superior with regards to their ability to demonstrate the terminal instabilities that typically occur when non-expanding bullets impact live animal flesh. - Randy Garrett
There are few things in the world of ballistics less well understood than the issues relating to comparative penetration. It is commonly believed that the faster one drives a solid bullet, the deeper the penetration. We see this all the time in the various attempts, via new calibers, to achieve higher velocity for improved performance on heavy game. The current rage among big bore shooters seems to be the 458 Lott, since it achieves a good 200-300 fps higher velocity than the 458 Winchester Magnum. It is claimed that the new 458 Lott is an improvement over the 458 Winchester Magnum since its higher velocity supposedly results in more lethal impact-effect and deeper penetration. This, it is claimed, is just the ticket for busting the heaviest game. Of course, the new 458 Lott also achieves greater kinetic energy as a result of its higher velocity, and this is also a convincing characteristic for those brave souls in pursuit of the heaviest game.

Despite all the impressive "science" deployed to reinforce the assertion that higher speed projectiles are more capable of inflicting the deep penetration and impact-effect required to reliably anchor heavy game, one finds that these assertions simply do not withstand common sense, repeatable penetration testing. In fact, if one conducts these tests, one finds that there is nothing that can be observed which supports the assertion that the faster one drives non-expanding solids the deeper they penetrate.

Very interestingly, if one takes the Hornady 500-grain .458 diameter solid bullet and compares the penetration that results from impact speeds varying from about 1500-fps to 2500-fps, one finds that the higher impact speeds produce the least penetration. When driven to about 1500-fps (as the 45-70 will do) one finds that such solids produce nearly 6-feet of penetration in wet newspapers. When the same bullet is driven to about 2100-fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Winchester Magnum) one finds that the penetration is reduced to about 4 to 4 and 1/2 feet. When one tests the same bullet at 2300-2400 fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Lott) one finds that the penetration comes up nearly 20% short of that produced by the 458 Winchester. And when one tests the same bullet at the blistering speeds characteristic of the mighty 460 Weatherby Magnum, one finds that the penetration achieved is the most shallow produced by the various 458s.

What is apparent from testing is that penetration stops increasing at impact speeds above about 1250-1300 fps. When the impact speeds significantly surpass about 1600-fps, there is a very definite and measurable decrease in penetration depth. This raises some interesting issues regarding the relationship between kinetic energy generation and impact-effect. Although higher velocity projectiles always generate more kinetic energy they clearly do not produce deeper penetration, and when the velocities reach the levels common to today's magnums, the increases in velocity result in significantly reduced penetration. Simply stated, the faster they strike the faster they stop.
Fortunately for all of us who shoot the 45-70, it can be considered to be the deepest penetrating of the various 458 calibers. This is not due to any particular inherent superiority, but due to the 45-70's "inability" to achieve the velocity with heavy bullets that leads to decreases in penetration. The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood. However, anyone who takes the time to run comparative penetration tests will find that those of us who pack a good 45-70 with heavy bullets need not take a back seat to any other 458 caliber, especially when the game is heavy and the penetration requirements are great.
- Randy Garrett

The effect of speed on incapacitation is typically called Hydrostatic shock. That effect does not happen with projectiles trraveling less than 2500 FPS. It is why Roy Weatherby built the beast of cartridge that is the 460 Weatherby Magnum. I own one in a left hand action MKV. It produces awesome recoil, it is the only rifle I own that has a brake on it. Despite all the roaring, flame and drama it does not kill any faster than my 45-70 and I have shot a lot of bears with both. I have also shot bears with a 45-70 loaded from1100 FPS to 2000. I can tell you from experience the sweat spot is 1400-1500 fps for quick kills, reasonably flat trajectory, at least by 45-70 standards, and quick second shot recovery. My favourite load is a Hornady 350 grain RN over 3031 powder at 1500 fps.

5 quick shots at 100 yards over the hood of the truck.

HnJE62nl.jpg

3 shots, same 350 grain Horn RN traveling quite a bit faster. Accuracy is still fine.

l1NNAA1l.jpg

Quote Reply

Come on Dean, where did you see me talking about velocity? The title says "45-70 Bullet for Bison Hunt", and again, have personally seen a number of bison killed, and killed one myself, THEY are NOT a hard animal to kill, and they usually stand still for an extended period of time after being shot. There is a reason why they were almost eradicated, because hunters could virtually ride right up to them, and shoot them point blank. And when one animal in the herd is injured, the others usually stick around to try to help or shield the wounded, making it easy for Buffalo Bill and others to kill virtually 100s at a time.

Come on Dean, where did you see me talking about velocity? The title says "45-70 Bullet for Bison Hunt", and again, have personally seen a number of bison killed, and killed one myself, THEY are NOT a hard animal to kill, and they usually stand still for an extended period of time after being shot. There is a reason why they were almost eradicated, because hunters could virtually ride right up to them, and shoot them point blank. And when one animal in the herd is injured, the others usually stick around to try to help or shield the wounded, making it easy for Buffalo Bill and others to kill virtually 100s at a time.
The response is not aimed at you. I was responding to the OPs comments about shooting 550 grain bullets from a gun with a curved brass buttplate. The faster u try to drive them the more it hurts. Millions of bison were killed with 500 grain bullets at 1100 fps and the recoil from those loads is not bad at all. That was all I was getting at. Driving big bullets fast doesn't kill better but it sure kills your shoulder.