45-70 Bullet for Bison Hunt

Other trick with cast is keep soft lead below 1300 fps, unless you a running gas checks or coatings, and 25 Brinnel below 1650. You will get a lot better accuracy.

405 grain X .460 diameter Hard Cast from Bullet Barn, 25 Brinnel, out of a Remlin at 100 yards. Squares are 1" on a side.

1695071250470.jpeg

Hard

Last edited:
Late to this game…if'n I was to take a 19th century breechloader, single shot type, I would be looking to use a contemporary lead bullet. Lee makes a 500 grain flat point gas check bullet and used to make a copy of the trapdoor 500 grain bullet. You're not talking long distance, ala buffalo hunting on the plains in the 1870s, so reload to the period. Both bullets are accurate, so go for it and be authentic!

never hunted anything that big. But I have some 405 hard cast with gas checks. I heard someone shot a buf with one of these- and it went through BOTH shoulders-- exited and killed a smaller one that was on the other side. Now-- thats penertation---- ! cast performance bullets 405 hard cast with gas check. I would think about 1500-1800 should work......

If you have the micro groove barrel, they were not as fond of cast as the regualr barrels. Big trick with cast is to start with soft lead and try going up in size .460, .462 and.464. one of those 3 will likely shoot much better than a standard lead in .458. Once you find the soft lead size, back off .001 for 25 Brinnel hard cast.
Solid advice.
I often opt for softer alloy, but I cast my own.

Lapping has helped every cast shootin gun i have tried it on. Some more than others.

@CMP70306 care to share your load and hunt details?

Below is the link to the thread I made for the hunt, load data was 402gr Shock Hammer over 42gr H4198 in Starline Nickel brass with a CCI 200 primer. Gets me around 1800 fps out of a 30" barrel.

Below is the link to the thread I made for the hunt, load data was 402gr Shock Hammer over 42gr H4198 in Starline Nickel brass with a CCI 200 primer. Gets me around 1800 fps out of a 30" barrel.

Thank you!