45-70 Bullet for Bison Hunt

300gr Shock Hammer. I had to trim the Starline brass quite a bit to keep the COAL within spec to fit into Browning 1886. Not tested on game but shoots well.
I'd be interested in knowing the load and velocity that you're getting with the 300SH. I've hunted with the 402SH and the Barnes TSX 300 mono. They both performed well.

It's just amazing the kind of penetration you can get with a relatively slow hard cast bullet. Kind of like the Energizer Bunny - it just keeps going and going.

I'd surely to know my 430's at 1800 mv from my Marline GG would do on something large……like maybe a Cape Buffalo or on an "end to end shot" on an Alaskan Brown!

I'm on constant alert for either…..but, haven't seen either anywhere close to my house! 😢 memtb

I'd surely to know my 430's at 1800 mv from my Marline GG would do on something large……like maybe a Cape Buffalo or on an "end to end shot" on an Alaskan Brown!

I'm on constant alert for either…..but, haven't seen either anywhere close to my house! 😢 memtb

For whatever reason, lead bullets just don't shoot well in my JM 1895SBL. But, jacketed bullets and monos shoot exceptionally well. I've shot MANY sub moa groups at 100yds & 200yds with jacketed/mono bullets. The 350 Swift takes home the accuracy trophy with producing nearly 1/2" groups at 100yds, repeatedly.

I've taken a lot of critters, big & small, with my 45-70 but never hunted with the big hardcast bullets.

350 Swift.JPG

For whatever reason, lead bullets just don't shoot well in my JM 1895SBL. But, jacketed bullets and monos shoot exceptionally well. I've shot MANY sub moa groups at 100yds & 200yds with jacketed/mono bullets. The 350 Swift takes home the accuracy trophy with producing nearly 1/2" groups at 100yds, repeatedly.

I've taken a lot of critters, big & small, with my 45-70 but never hunted with the big hardcast bullets.

View attachment 494761
If you have the micro groove barrel, they were not as fond of cast as the regualr barrels. Big trick with cast is to start with soft lead and try going up in size .460, .462 and.464. one of those 3 will likely shoot much better than a standard lead in .458. Once you find the soft lead size, back off .001 for 25 Brinnel hard cast.

View attachment 494761

Here's a photo of the second group of 5 rounds ever fired from my GG……the first 5 shots were at 50 yards to test for pressures, proper feeding, and to get me on paper! These are my homemade bullets!

After the shot to the right, I adjusted the scope for the 4 shot group!
I didn't do anymore testing, my thought……"don't look a gift horse in the mouth"! 😁 memtb

1694965476923.png

If you have the micro groove barrel, they were not as fond of cast as the regualr barrels. Big trick with cast is to start with soft lead and try going up in size .460, .462 and.464. one of those 3 will likely shoot much better than a standard lead in .458. Once you find the soft lead size, back off .001 for 25 Brinnel hard cast.

It's my understanding that no 1895SBL rifles were built with micro-groove rifling. I tried Cast Performance & BearTooth bullets in a few diameters. They all shot ok, but nowhere near as good as jacketed or monometal bullets. Sometimes rifles are just quirky. I'm fine with getting the performance that I'm getting.

The last mono I shot was the Hornady 250MonoFlex. At 2,330 (IIRC) it printed slightly over 2" at 200yds. It puts the slap-down on whitetails and range estimation isn't nearly as critical.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the second group of 5 rounds ever fired from my GG……the first 5 shots were at 50 yards to test for pressures, proper feeding, and to get me on paper! These are my homemade bullets!

After the shot to the right, I adjusted the scope for the 4 shot group!
I didn't do anymore testing, my thought……"don't look a gift horse in the mouth"! 😁 memtb

View attachment 494763

Nice shooting - you need to send me some of your home brewed bullets. :>)

Nice shooting - you need to send me some of your home brewed bullets. :>)

Thanks! I have to get off of my butt and cast more…..I'm out! ☹️

I cast some 400 grainers of the same profile for my 460 S&W 8 3/8") same mold (obviously different cavities) at the same time, quenched, and powder coated at the same time, that gave a few 4 shot groups at 100 yards (one chamber was throwing shots) under 4"…..using a 2 moa red dot sight!

Pretty pleased with my luck with cast bullets!

Oh……I'm also using RL 7 in my 45-70! memtb

I'd saw this recently and would love to hear more about your hunt and also the pheasants. Love that pheasant hunting!

Here was the write up I did in another thread, honestly the pheasant hunting was a blast and it was my first ever real bird hunt. In the past I had did the old walk around camp with a shotgun and had kicked up a couple grouse over the years but never got anything. They had a terrible habit of flushing from under logs I was stepping over but I haven't seen one on our property in probably 10 years now.

My Dad talks about hunting pheasants with my grandfather back in the day when they were plentiful in PA but those days are long gone. He wanted to do a western pheasant hunt more than a big game hunt so when I was looking for a hunt I found the best of both.

Incidentally enough I enjoyed hunting pheasant on that trip so much that it inspired me to get a bird hunting/tracking dog of my own. She's a field bred Golden Retriever and I named her Cedar after the cedar trees we hunted amongst on that trip.

IMG_6293.jpeg

Right now she is only 6 months old and I'm still working on training her but next year we plan on doing some formal bird training and then releasing some birds on our property for her to chase around. If I can get her recall under control I might give it a try in January or February and hunt the tail end of our stocked pheasant season.

View attachment 494761

I'll have to try that out. My Remlin SBL stacks the 325gr FTX on top of each other but throws cast all over the place. Haven't tried the Ruger made SBL I just got. My son has eyes on the Remlin (it's one of the good ones) and I have to admit I am fond of the Ruger version. Hopefully she's a shooter.🤞🏽