6.5 BULLETS FOR ELK?

I am curious if anyone has tried the new 144 Berger Hybrid. I know that people have seen great results with other calibers and weights in the Hybrids. I have some that I will start load dev for in my 260AI.

I've personally seen a 143 ELDX, and 140 Berger fail to penetrate elk shoulders at 300-400 yards.
I'm talking total fragmentation with only 3" of penetration.
Use a bonded or mono hunting bullet
I shot a really nice 5x6 with the 143 eldx - blew through the front shoulder at 430 yards and turned the vitals to mush. They are a great bullet.

Good Morning, I am trying to figure out which bullet to use for ELK. I have shot the 143 ELDX, 156 BERGER and the 140 GMX. For those that have experience, Id like to get some opinions. This bullet will be shot from a 6.5 PRC. and ranges from 100 to 700 yards. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I shoot ELDX, ELDMs, and Bergers in everything. I loved the Amax (Eldm) for hunting and my experience with bergers has been awesome on game. The eldx is a great option as well. I found this review of long range hunting bullets a few years ago which lead me to try the eldx and I have been happy with the results.

I am curious if anyone has tried the new 144 Berger Hybrid. I know that people have seen great results with other calibers and weights in the Hybrids. I have some that I will start load dev for in my 260AI.
I have been pressing for some feedback on this bullet as well. I'd love to use them in my PRC. They don't give up much by way of BC to the 156.

I have had great results with 6.5 Nosler 143 grain ABLR. Have killed a wide range of large animals including gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra. Most shot in the shoulder with good penetration and lots of damage. No exits on these large animals. For smaller animals such as impala, deer and warthog, this bullet usually passes through though no animal went far. Using a 1/8 twist.

I haven't tried the 6.5 GMX, but have had great results with the 235 grain GMX for .375 H&H on DG such as Cape buffalo. Have also used this for smaller animals when I was carrying the 375.

Just returning from SCI and will look for images of recovered bullets to post. Both of these bullets have performed well for me.

2018 hunting season I shot at a cow elk broadside at 600yds with my 6.5x284 using 143 ELD-X. Heard the thwaap of the bullet right behind the shoulder. Perfect shot ... right where I wanted. The elk just turned and started walking away like I was a simple nuisance. I had just shot a WT buck an hour earlier with the same gun/bullet everything at 615yds and he dropped in his tracks. After watching the elk appear mildly annoyed at my efforts my mouth just fell open ... I was in disbelief. I really don't have any other comments other than I won't use this bullet out of this gun likely past 400yds on elk. We've all seen the vids, read the posts of guys dropping these animals at twice the distance. This has just been my one time experience. Maybe it was a bad projectile? I really don't know. I am looking to run the 156 Bergers out of this gun now. I'm sure it would have been a different ending with this heavier bullet?

Good Morning, I am trying to figure out which bullet to use for ELK. I have shot the 143 ELDX, 156 BERGER and the 140 GMX. For those that have experience, Id like to get some opinions. This bullet will be shot from a 6.5 PRC. and ranges from 100 to 700 yards. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Many here don't recommend the eldx. I to just bought a 6.5 PRC, and for elk it is going to be the Barnes TTSX. I want TWO holes! Just my 2cents. I bought a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline. What did you buy?

Swift Scirocco 130's. Have broke both shoulders on several bulls at ranges from 251 to 415 yds with. 260 rem. Now using the same bullet in my 6.5/284. No regrets with this bullet and have had penetration failures with Berger and eldx bullets.

2018 hunting season I shot at a cow elk broadside at 600yds with my 6.5x284 using 143 ELD-X. Heard the thwaap of the bullet right behind the shoulder. Perfect shot ... right where I wanted. The elk just turned and started walking away like I was a simple nuisance. I had just shot a WT buck an hour earlier with the same gun/bullet everything at 615yds and he dropped in his tracks. After watching the elk appear mildly annoyed at my efforts my mouth just fell open ... I was in disbelief. I really don't have any other comments other than I won't use this bullet out of this gun likely past 400yds on elk. We've all seen the vids, read the posts of guys dropping these animals at twice the distance. This has just been my one time experience. Maybe it was a bad projectile? I really don't know. I am looking to run the 156 Bergers out of this gun now. I'm sure it would have been a different ending with this heavier bullet?
Yep I've seen the same poor performance.
I watched my buddy put three 143's in his bull at 300 yards from a 6.5 creed.
The first shot was right in the lungs, he started walking off and my shot 2 rounds center shoulder.
Both completely came apart in the muscle/ scapula.
Luckily the bull eventually died from the lung shot.
ELDMs are also terrible elk bullets, dont take any stupid advice saying otherwise.
Here's a pic of a 225 eldm that blew up on an elk at 700 yards last season, same buddy shot him and it turned into a tracking nightmare.

IMG_65291.jpg

Elk can take hits from a 338 Win mag and walk away.Does that make a 225AB a bad elk bullet?Nope,it was bad shot placement on my part.I did not lose him as I shot him twice more.Seems easier to blame the bullet then admit that maybe the shot was not perfect.JMHO,Huntz

Elk can take hits from a 338 Win mag and walk away.Does that make a 225AB a bad elk bullet?Nope,it was bad shot placement on my part.I did not lose him as I shot him twice more.Seems easier to blame the bullet then admit that maybe the shot was not perfect.JMHO,Huntz
Absolutely
A bad shot is a bad shot.
What we're talking about is making sure you have a bullet that'll hold together on heavy muscle and bone, and still expand reliably.

I've sent a 140 partition through both shoulders of a bull at 200 yards with my 6.5 saum, it broke the heavy leg bone on the offside.
Now seeing a 143 ELDX, and a 225 eldm fail to even penetrate a shoulder is pretty conclusive that they're the wrong bullet for elk.
Don't even get me started on Berger's, I could list a bunch of failures on elk (first hand experience).
After last season I'll never shoot a non bonded bullet at an elk again

Did you recover the elk and confirm it was a good shot right behind the shoulder? Sounds like you missed the elk. A bad shot isnt the bullets fault...

Yep I've seen the same poor performance.
I watched my buddy put three 143's in his bull at 300 yards from a 6.5 creed.
The first shot was right in the lungs, he started walking off and my shot 2 rounds center shoulder.
Both completely came apart in the muscle/ scapula.
Luckily the bull eventually died from the lung shot.
ELDMs are also terrible elk bullets, dont take any stupid advice saying otherwise.
Here's a pic of a 225 eldm that blew up on an elk at 700 yards last season, same buddy shot him and it turned into a tracking nightmare.

View attachment 174470
:rolleyes: People need to take this guys advice with a grain of salt. Hope the ignore button works on the new site.