6.5 BULLETS FOR ELK?

Good Morning, I am trying to figure out which bullet to use for ELK. I have shot the 143 ELDX, 156 BERGER and the 140 GMX. For those that have experience, Id like to get some opinions. This bullet will be shot from a 6.5 PRC. and ranges from 100 to 700 yards. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
The 2 bullets you listed will do the job with well placed shots. I would avoid on the point of should facing shots or others where penetration might be block by anatomy. Getting in behind the front leg through the ribs and 90 degree high forward shoulder shots should be great.

What you have to remember is these are bullets intended to perform best at longer ranges such as 300-700 yards. They can perform at higher velocity's but you're likely not going to get as deep of penetration as high velocities. So, you get a 100 yard shot make sure you place it carefully. Elk tend to swallow up bullets so follow up shots are good to be ready with. I double lunged a big cow once near the heart with a 180 Accubond from a 300 WSM (3000fps) at 393 yards. No exit, never found the bullet. Carefully shot another big cow with a 7LRM at about 200 yards in the pocket with a 195 EOL Berger with no exit bullet dissappeared. Exits don't always happen on Elk but they did both die within a few steps.

:rolleyes: People need to take this guys advice with a grain of salt. Hope the ignore button works on the new site.
Why because you don't like hearing my experiences?

I've been hunting elk relentlessly since my early 20's, and 12 years later I've taken 8 bulls, and helped my friends and wife harvest many more.
I've learned a few things along the way..

I've shot two bulls with 147's, and they were explosive even beyond 800 yards.
I kept using vlds and ELDM's because they shot so well, but it's caused me some serious headaches.

I respect the heck out of elk and want to share my stupid mistakes in using the wrong bullets with others.
Hunt with whatever bullets you want
man.
If you think I'm full of it then shoot me a PM and let's talk

Why because you don't like hearing my experiences?

I've been hunting elk relentlessly since my early 20's, and 12 years later I've taken 8 bulls, and helped my friends and wife harvest many more.
I've learned a few things along the way..

I've shot two bulls with 147's, and they were explosive even beyond 800 yards.
I kept using vlds and ELDM's because they shot so well, but it's caused me some serious headaches.

I respect the heck out of elk and want to share my stupid mistakes in using the wrong bullets with others.
Hunt with whatever bullets you want
man.
If you think I'm full of it then shoot me a PM and let's talk
PM Sent - explosive beyond 800 yards?! Lol. Dude, come on....

I'd like to know more about your setup and loading.
Rifle? Twist? load data/performance.
thanks
26" Pac-Nor barrel 8 twist RL33, CCI 250s with Nosler brass pushing it at 3345fps. Hit a cow last year at 425sh yards broadside caliber size entrance, destroyed the heart good holes through the lungs with a golf ball size exit. Shoved it through a forked horn whitetail buck at 410, if I remember correctly, hard quartering away shot. Came in behind the ribs exited in front of the off side should, left a lot of bloodshot in entrance and exit awesome damage to the lungs. The only one I've recovered a bullet from was from a muley that was as a 489 yards, he must of stepped towards me as I shot because the bullet went in at the neck traveled down it and under the shoulder busted a couple rib on the way in, damaged the lungs and broke ribs on the way out, was stuck in the hide on the off side.
DA9BA7DC-316C-483D-825F-43E2E68778CC.jpeg

Bullet from the muley.
idcwby

I have had great results with 6.5 Nosler 143 grain ABLR. Have killed a wide range of large animals including gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra. Most shot in the shoulder with good penetration and lots of damage. No exits on these large animals. For smaller animals such as impala, deer and warthog, this bullet usually passes through though no animal went far. Using a 1/8 twist.

I haven't tried the 6.5 GMX, but have had great results with the 235 grain GMX for .375 H&H on DG such as Cape buffalo. Have also used this for smaller animals when I was carrying the 375.

Just returning from SCI and will look for images of recovered bullets to post. Both of these bullets have performed well for me.

First image is two 6.5 Nosler 143 grain ABLR recovered from gemsbok and wildebeest. Second image is a GMX.

Attachments

• Nosler 65 ABLR.jpg
    Nosler 65 ABLR.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Horn GMX.jpg
    Horn GMX.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 103
26" Pac-Nor barrel 8 twist RL33, CCI 250s with Nosler brass pushing it at 3345fps. Hit a cow last year at 425sh yards broadside caliber size entrance, destroyed the heart good holes through the lungs with a golf ball size exit. Shoved it through a forked horn whitetail buck at 410, if I remember correctly, hard quartering away shot. Came in behind the ribs exited in front of the off side should, left a lot of bloodshot in entrance and exit awesome damage to the lungs. The only one I've recovered a bullet from was from a muley that was as a 489 yards, he must of stepped towards me as I shot because the bullet went in at the neck traveled down it and under the shoulder busted a couple rib on the way in, damaged the lungs and broke ribs on the way out, was stuck in the hide on the off side.
View attachment 174623
Bullet from the muley.
idcwby

How many grains of RL33 are you using to achieve this velocity?