Bullets for Elk

Out to 500yds according to my guide. I'm able to work up past that distance at my range.

My go to hunting bullet is the GS Custom hv. The 160g hv will run 3200fps out of your 300 wsm. With a .401 bc and a 300yrd zero you will 7.6 moa drop at 600yrds with a 4.4 moa ful value 10 mph wind. Still running at 1950 fps.

My experience with the bullets is that it has less meat damage than any other bullet I have used and kills very fast at long or short range.

If you go this route, use GS's load data. They do not use conventional data. They are a little different critter than conventional bullets.

Let me know if I can help.

Steve

If you are only shooting a max of 500 yds. there are a lot of good bullets to choose from but I would choose one that is well constructed that shoots well in your rile. By well constructed I mean bonded, partition or monos. etc. The Bergers are good at longer ranges but I would not personally recommend them on elk at the closer ranges. Ya, they will kill in dramatic fashion given the right hit but with the wrong hit at close range you might get a roast but the rest will get away:D My opinion......Rich

If you are only shooting a max of 500 yds. there are a lot of good bullets to choose from but I would choose one that is well constructed that shoots well in your rile. By well constructed I mean bonded, partition or monos. etc. The Bergers are good at longer ranges but I would not personally recommend them on elk at the closer ranges. Ya, they will kill in dramatic fashion given the right hit but with the wrong hit at close range you might get a roast but the rest will get away:D My opinion......Rich

+1....:)

I have never shot Bergers at game at close range but I would agree with Rich, that a highly frangible bullet (Amax also) might damage a lot of meat or not perofrm as hoped. Having said that, the 210 won't have a real high MV out of a 300 WSM. I do prefer controlled expansion bullets because I believe their results are a little more predictable and reliable.

A-max is not a hunting bullet. Tried it anyways and it just doesn't knock animal down at close range(30 cal A-max going over 2500fps impact on elk and muley) Guessing it does much better between 2500- 1800fps. Assuming it due to many reviews I have read.

A-max is not a hunting bullet. Tried it anyways and it just doesn't knock animal down at close range(30 cal A-max going over 2500fps impact on elk and muley) Guessing it does much better between 2500- 1800fps. Assuming it due to many reviews I have read.
I think your experience is consistent with what some of us have been saying about velocity vs target bullets........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.