Monometal Bullet Choice for Elk 6.5 PRC

We have been loading north of 3450 fps in the prc with rl26 or n560 and the 124g Hammer Hunter. I just quick ran some numbers in jbm ballistics at 5000' elev. This combo gives a max point blank range on a 5" radius kill zone of 422y without changing your hold. Zeroed for max point blank range you literally have a 500y hold hair combo. Impact velocity at 500y is still 2600 fps. Hammer Hunter bullets will retain the same 65% from high velocity down to 1800 fps. Our you could say they shed the same 35% no matter how fast you impact them. (We have yet to be able to impact one
too fast) At 300y the impact velocity of this combo is as fast as the muzzle velocity of the 156g bullet being suggested, that will have sketchy results with impacts above 2700 fps. With Hammers you don't have to remember to stay off bone or make sure that your elk isn't quartering in order to keep it from failure to penetrate. The window of opportunity with shot angles and impact velocity is simply much bigger with Hammer Bullets. I am very comfortable saying that Hammer Bullets have better terminal performance than any other bullet on the market in a wider range of impact velocity and shot angles involving heavy bone or no bone. Terminal performance is the backbone of our bullet design and business plan. We will not sacrifice terminal performance for anything. All copper bullets are not the same. Not even close. I say this as a pre emptive to those who are going to chime in and try to lump Hammer Bullets into the mediocre list of other mono bullets. Copper is not a generic material. Trust me when I say most copper does not make highly effective bullets for terminal performance. We went through thousands of pounds of copper trying to find the one we use because everything else we tried was not capable of doing what we want for terminal performance. Rapid expansion and shedding of the nose petals in the first 2" of penetration at high or low velocity impacts. The retained shank that forms a flat square front, like a dangerous game bullet, after shedding. When we accomplished this, it put Hammer Bullets in a class alone, better than everything else in the market.

The only solid copper I'd use for elk would be the 124 Hammer.
While I just picked up a 6.5 PRC, I've been hunting with and reloading for a 6.5 X 55 for a few years now. I haven't tried Berger bullets yet, mostly a supply & demand issue but I've considered them. These are the bullets I like for 6.5

143 Norman Bondstrike
142 Nosler ABLR
143 ELDX
140 Partition - frontal shot at a steep uphill angle on a mule deer at 275 yds. Clipped the top of the heart, one lung, and exited through the back strap. Passed through about 18" of deer and he was DRT.
140 AB
156 Oryx - this one is a hammer and you won't see too much difference in performance out to 300 yds. A little slower, not a pin hole group, but is capable of taking moose and black bear.

If I knew my shots were going to be 300 - 500 yds using a 6.5 PRC, I'd probably go with the ELDX, Bondstrike, or 156 Berger EOL. The 124 Hammer is a solid choice as well.

In the old days, the problem with cup and core bullets was that they would come apart at high velocity. Barnes solved that issue with their bullets. The higher the velocity, the more the shock, assuming the bulelt expands enough to transfer its energy. I can't imagine that any bullet shot at 3400 fps that holds together couldn't kill an elk quickly.

My first bull was shot at about 250 yds. with a 7mm RM 140 gr. Barnes X. Shot was bad and hit the liver. Bullet didn't exit. Elk went 35 yards. I've used 160 gr. or 168 gr. bullets since.

Check the elevation for the area you are going to hunt. Albuquerque is 5000 ft. and most NM elk country is higher elevation. I'm not much of a long range hunter, the longest shot I've ever taken was 340 yards.

We have been loading north of 3450 fps in the prc with rl26 or n560 and the 124g Hammer Hunter. I just quick ran some numbers in jbm ballistics at 5000' elev. This combo gives a max point blank range on a 5" radius kill zone of 422y without changing your hold. Zeroed for max point blank range you literally have a 500y hold hair combo. Impact velocity at 500y is still 2600 fps. Hammer Hunter bullets will retain the same 65% from high velocity down to 1800 fps. Our you could say they shed the same 35% no matter how fast you impact them. (We have yet to be able to impact one
too fast) At 300y the impact velocity of this combo is as fast as the muzzle velocity of the 156g bullet being suggested, that will have sketchy results with impacts above 2700 fps. With Hammers you don't have to remember to stay off bone or make sure that your elk isn't quartering in order to keep it from failure to penetrate. The window of opportunity with shot angles and impact velocity is simply much bigger with Hammer Bullets. I am very comfortable saying that Hammer Bullets have better terminal performance than any other bullet on the market in a wider range of impact velocity and shot angles involving heavy bone or no bone. Terminal performance is the backbone of our bullet design and business plan. We will not sacrifice terminal performance for anything. All copper bullets are not the same. Not even close. I say this as a pre emptive to those who are going to chime in and try to lump Hammer Bullets into the mediocre list of other mono bullets. Copper is not a generic material. Trust me when I say most copper does not make highly effective bullets for terminal performance. We went through thousands of pounds of copper trying to find the one we use because everything else we tried was not capable of doing what we want for terminal performance. Rapid expansion and shedding of the nose petals in the first 2" of penetration at high or low velocity impacts. The retained shank that forms a flat square front, like a dangerous game bullet, after shedding. When we accomplished this, it put Hammer Bullets in a class alone, better than everything else in the market.
I have 10lbs of N560 ready to rock for load development but like you mention with terminal performance at close range is why I started this whole question with the 156s. Thanks for your answer and reply…much appreciated.

In the old days, the problem with cup and core bullets was that they would come apart at high velocity. Barnes solved that issue with their bullets. The higher the velocity, the more the shock, assuming the bulelt expands enough to transfer its energy. I can't imagine that any bullet shot at 3400 fps that holds together couldn't kill an elk quickly.

My first bull was shot at about 250 yds. with a 7mm RM 140 gr. Barnes X. Shot was bad and hit the liver. Bullet didn't exit. Elk went 35 yards. I've used 160 gr. or 168 gr. bullets since.

Check the elevation for the area you are going to hunt. Albuquerque is 5000 ft. and most NM elk country is higher elevation. I'm not much of a long range hunter, the longest shot I've ever taken was 340 yards.
Yes ill be in the Raton area…7000-8000ft elevation so will see a difference in ballistics compared to the 1000ft where I live.

Typical exit on large cow elk at 320 yards from a 6.5 Creedmore and a 124 Hammer just under 3000 fps launch velocity. Didn't need to blood trail cause she made it 50 yards and flopped but even on dry dirt could have easily followed her. Every elk she shoots looks like this with Hammers. She has zero issues to 600 yards with her set up, a PRC I would even hesitate!
The Barnes 127 is a great bullet if you like tracking elk and doing mag dumps.
Those are the two bullets I have shot that you asked about so we'll stick to those!!
Shot placement is always King, my daughter puts every bullet in the same place, all her elk die the same and with one shot!
IMG_20211128_122103386.jpg

Last edited:
Typical exit on large cow elk at 320 yards from a 6.5 Creedmore and a 124 Hammer just under 3000 fps launch velocity. Didn't need to blood trail cause she made it 50 yards and flopped but even on dry dirt could have easily followed her. Every elk she shoots looks like this with Hammers. She has zero issues to 600 yards with her set up, a PRC I would even hesitate!
The Barnes 127 is a great bullet if you like tracking elk and doing mag dumps.
Those are the two bullets I have shot that you asked about so we'll stick to those!!
Shot placement is always King, my daughter puts every bullet in the same place, all her elk die the same and with one shot!
View attachment 453113
Thx for posting. I have a box of 15 124gr HH to test with in my 6.5 X 55 which is very similar to the 6.5 CM in terms of velocity. I've been reading up on Hammer's website but limited availability of powder has caused me to put of testing these bullet. Sounds like they are a slam dunk for the 6.5 crowd.

I was converted to Mono's by Barnes X because of bullet penetration. I shot them for decades with great success. However, I have in recent years switched to Hammers because I think their construction/design is superior it terminal performance. I'd definitely shoot the 124g Hammer Hunter. It is what I shoot in my 6.5x284, which is a cousin to your PRC.

Last edited:
Bigngreen that looks like great performance. I've never thought to try my 6.5x47 with the 124 HH on elk. It works great on whitetail. I'm shooting them at 2938 FPS out of an 8 twist benchmark at 25" long. Currently building a 338 RUM to kill these bullet proof elk ha ha.

Bigngreen that looks like great performance. I've never thought to try my 6.5x47 with the 124 HH on elk. It works great on whitetail. I'm shooting them at 2938 FPS out of an 8 twist benchmark at 25" long. Currently building a 338 RUM to kill these bullet proof elk ha ha.
Haha! Use your 6.5x47 on elk with the 124g Hammer Hunter. No man bun necessary!