6.5 bullet choice

midwesthunter

Having a 6.5 WSM being built for a long range deer and antelope rifle. At the speeds I should be getting will 140 bergers hold together? I'm thinking of CE 130's matrix 142's or 160 or hornady 140 amax. More of an antelope rifle then a deer rifle. Thoughts? Or suggestions?

Don't forget the Matrix 150 gr VLD. It's not on the website but still in stock a couple weeks ago. Just give them a call.

I have not used any of those bullets but I can tell you that the 130 Nosler Accubond works great close up like 30 yards and as far out as 500 on white tail deer at a muzzle velocity of 3350 fps from my 264 Win mag. Out of around 20 deer shot all but one have been through and through both shoulders and all have been bang flop. I did recover one bullet shot lengthwise through edge of scapula and found in right ball socket on right ham on a buck at 111 yards. Text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Bullet had to still be going over 3100 fps.

If you mean the VDL's, after long analysis... I finally accepted that they are more target than hunting bullets. Accubonds or Accubond Long Range if you can get them.

I have taken a couple of dozen antelope, mule deer, and whitetail with the VLD's from 50-1000 yards with the Berger Huntng 140 VLD's and 142 JLK's with my 6.5-284. ML is less(3000FPS) than your cartridge but both bullets have performed well with the closer shots where impact velocities are high. Most all kills are total penetration with 1.5" exits and major internal damage regardless of range. I haven't used the heavier bullets.

Last edited:
I am shooting the 140 Berger Target at 3230 fps out of my 6.5 Sherman. No problems with the bullet. I am going to try the 150 matrix next. My gun doesn't like the Matrix 160.

Matrix has a 160 grain bullet but I don't know if it is a very good hunting bullet. the Hornady 160 is a round nose so you can do with that what you want.

I am shooting the 140 Berger Target at 3230 fps out of my 6.5 Sherman. No problems with the bullet. I am going to try the 150 matrix next. My gun doesn't like the Matrix 160.

do you have a 1:8 twist? I think that is what they recommend.

Id like to try them in my 6.5-06 AI.

Brewer. Yes I have a #5 Hart 1 in 8 twist. I just seemed to run into pressure before I could get a lot of speed out of them. Could be that my brass is heavier. My lot is 23 gr heavier than my friends nosler brass. Both nosler mine is just heavier. Ill see what the 150's will do.

I've got a hart too, its max heavy 1:8 as well, so we will see what they do. do you have any left you want to sell me? I kill for about 20 or 30 of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.