6.5 Rem Mag bullet choice

Blacktail

Just picked up a custom 6.5 rem mag built by Randt Selby. Gun is build on a remington ti action and has a 23" barrel. Weighs in at less than 6 pounds. I have no experience loading this caliber my loading exp limited to .270 and 7 mm stw. Was hoping to shoot 130's out of it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Gun will be for packing in after blacktails ranges from 100 to 500 yards

There are a lot of great choices. But, it may depend on what your rifle likes. Some are picky. Others not so much.

The 140's will have a better BC.

What twist?

140g Berger
140g AMAX
120g TTSX

I've heard the 142 SMK is a great hunting round, but haven't tried it for anything other than superior accuracy on paper.

-- richard

sorry for the delayed response I talked to the guy i bought it from indicated a 1 in 10.

1:10 is extrememly slow for 6.5mm and you may have difficulty shooting heavier/longer bullets.

I recommend you measure it yourself.

Put a reasonably tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod with a swivel handle.

Start the patch through the breech.

Use masking tape and a sharpie to make index marks on the rod/handle such that you can run the rod in far enough so that it makes exactly one 360 degree rotation. then, measure how far the rod travelled. That distance is your twist rate i.e. 1 full turn in x inches.

Repeat several times to make sure you got a good reading.

-- richard

Just got an email from Mr Selby who indicated he built it on a 23" Shilen with a 1:9.

I don't shoot that cartridge. So, perhaps someone can provide some specific recommendations?

Based on the twist and your objectives, I'd try one of these...
123g Hornady AMAX
130g Nosler AB

-- richard

lilja suggests 140 gr bullets for a 9 twist barrel.

Berger suggests 8 twist for it's 140 hunting bullets ideally.

I would try 140 gr SMK's and if I could not get them performing I would drop to 123 or 130 gr SMK's.

lilja suggests 140 gr bullets for a 9 twist barrel.

Berger suggests 8 twist for it's 140 hunting bullets ideally.

I would try 140 gr SMK's and if I could not get them performing I would drop to 123 or 130 gr SMK's.

Weight is just part of the equation. Length is as much or more of a factor. Hence, Berger with the long VLDs recommends 1:8. ...same would apply to SMK in my opinion.

Get the specifications of the desired bullets and run the numbers on JBM.

There's no sense screwing around with marginal stability. ...unless you just feel lucky.

-- richard

Best most accurate I have got so far is with the Hornady
123 Amax 510 BC and the 140 Amax 520 BC
the 123 Amax went 3 shots one little hole.

if you're only shooting to 500 yards, i'd go with the 120 ttsx. more speed and less recoil for shooting accurately in the field with a light gun. they'll kill like a 140 gr bullet and the longer pills rob some case capacity also.

if you're only shooting to 500 yards, i'd go with the 120 ttsx. more speed and less recoil for shooting accurately in the field with a light gun. they'll kill like a 140 gr bullet and the longer pills rob some case capacity also.

+1 on what Dave said.
For those distances use the Barnes.

I've done very well with the 130g Scirocco. If your gun likes them they are a very reliable hunting bullet with a pretty good bc.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts