375 Ruger... to build or buy?

wilkup

I don't want to talk about the caliber I've chosen and whether or not it's a good/best choice for my tasks.

What I would like some help with is deciding whether to build one or purchase a completed firearm.

I just put together a killer 6.5 Sherman and started with a bone stock Howa 1500 in 270 Winchester. This rifle had the barrel swapped to a Bartlein 5R and the action was bedded into a B&C Medalist stock with a fully floated barrel. This build ended costing me right around $1900, but the rifle shoots 1/4'' 5 round groups consistently.

To Build:
Considering my experience with this most recent build, I'm inclined to use another Howa action if I were to build a 375R, but am curious about what other options may be out there; especially if they'll hold their value better and be in the same price point upon completion.

There's two other actions I'm possibly considering: the Tikka T3 and the Fierce Firearms (Controlled Round Feed action based off Sako style).

To Buy:
Now if I were just going to purchase a stock rifle with the option to monkey with it down the road at some point, I'd love to get my hands on the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African! By going this route I would have far less money invested and supposedly, a stock rifle will hold its value better than a custom you'll be lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar ;)

I would love a CRF action, but don't need it with this rifle. I do like the shorter bolt lift of the Sako/Tikka rifles, but again, I don't mind the standard 90 degree either. DBM would be nice but at the very least, I require a hinged floorplate.

I just had this 375 Ruger built.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 324
I've seen good ones both ways.

It depends how you're going to use. If you're expecting the 0.25" accuracy you're getting from your 6.5 Sherman follow the same path.

If you plan on using it as short to medium range big game rifle go factory.

I just recently bought a 375R "Guide Gun" from Ruger. It's got a laminated stock with adjustable length of pull, stainless steel barrel & action, a rugged set of sights, a barrel band for the sling, a removable brake, a weight-matched brake with no holes and a thread protector. All for the price of a factory rifle.

Best of all, it easily shoots the 260 NPT and 270 TSX under 2" at 200 yds. Other than the fact that it hates the 300 NPT; what more could you want from a dangerous game rifle?

I just recently bought a 375R "Guide Gun" from Ruger. It's got a laminated stock with adjustable length of pull, stainless steel barrel & action, a rugged set of sights, a barrel band for the sling, a removable brake, a weight-matched brake with no holes and a thread protector. All for the price of a factory rifle.

Best of all, it easily shoots the 260 NPT and 270 TSX under 2" at 200 yds. Other than the fact that it hates the 300 NPT; what more could you want from a dangerous game rifle?

Interesting... I hadn't thought about this option. At $850 street price, it's got my attention. I don't particularly like the stock but could upgrade to a McM Hunter if I really hated it.
How's the fit and finish on it? I've heard/read the bolt on the Ruger M77 is very smooth out of the box and just gets better with use.
It seems heavy for just a 20" barrel, especially when the 23'' is basically the same weight... reasons for that? Is the laminate stock just really heavy compared to the walnut?
I really like the matte stainless finish, but am on the fence because of the shorter barrel. Right now I am for sure leaning hard towards a Ruger rifle which I may or may not put a custom stock on down the road, rather than putting together another build with match-grade accuracy in mind. <2'' @ 200yd is more than likely good enough to hit anything I'd plan to shoot at with this rifle and I'm sure with a little massaging/tuning between bedding and loads could tighten things up a bit if needed.

Hi Wil......I would give some consideration to the Ruger #1 as well. I built a custom that shot VERY well. If you go that route, I would bed the tang with an aluminum pillar just like a bolt. I did that with mine and made a long socket set up to tighten it good and tight and it shot lights out......Rich

I don't want to talk about the caliber I've chosen and whether or not it's a good/best choice for my tasks.

What I would like some help with is deciding whether to build one or purchase a completed firearm.

I just put together a killer 6.5 Sherman and started with a bone stock Howa 1500 in 270 Winchester. This rifle had the barrel swapped to a Bartlein 5R and the action was bedded into a B&C Medalist stock with a fully floated barrel. This build ended costing me right around $1900, but the rifle shoots 1/4'' 5 round groups consistently.

To Build:
Considering my experience with this most recent build, I'm inclined to use another Howa action if I were to build a 375R, but am curious about what other options may be out there; especially if they'll hold their value better and be in the same price point upon completion.

There's two other actions I'm possibly considering: the Tikka T3 and the Fierce Firearms (Controlled Round Feed action based off Sako style).

To Buy:
Now if I were just going to purchase a stock rifle with the option to monkey with it down the road at some point, I'd love to get my hands on the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African! By going this route I would have far less money invested and supposedly, a stock rifle will hold its value better than a custom you'll be lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar ;)

I would love a CRF action, but don't need it with this rifle. I do like the shorter bolt lift of the Sako/Tikka rifles, but again, I don't mind the standard 90 degree either. DBM would be nice but at the very least, I require a hinged floorplate.
I bought the 77 Hawkeye Stainless .375R just because I came across one so cheap I couldn't resist and have both an Africa trip and an Alaska trip planned for the future.

Shooting factory Hornady ammo it proved to be an MOA or better rig right out of the box.

Could not be happier.

I bought the 77 Hawkeye Stainless .375R just because I came across one so cheap I couldn't resist and have both an Africa trip and an Alaska trip planned for the future.

Shooting factory Hornady ammo it proved to be an MOA or better rig right out of the box.

Could not be happier.

That's excellent to hear!

Buy factory all the way!!

You are not needing guilt edge 1/4 MOA accuracy. You need/want the knockdown and reliability foremost.

In a gun of that caliber, which I would guess you are going to use it on "biiigg" critters with the capability to hurt you if you screw up, I would not go single shot. Nice to shoot and play with, but not serious guns for dangerous game.

I agree with several others, go factory. I like the Stainless Alaskan M77 Hawkeye myself. I won't be buying one because I have a 375 Taylor, which was built several years before the 375 hit the market. I really like the performance from the 21" barrel in this slightly smaller case. Bet you will get adequate velocity from the 20" AK version.

Able ammo has a nice assortment all lined up to view. It is surprising how many are currently out of stock.

375 Ruger Caliber Rifles for Sale - Online Gun Store - Firearms - Able Ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.