Buy or Build?

There are greatcustom rifles in classified here with no wait and low round count. There was just recent a Gap 300 if I remeber. May very nice rifles at a discount to build yourself,300's very popular now

I can appreciate the value of the guns in the classifieds but I am wanting to stay in the $1,000 range. I have found a browning abolt long range hunter I think I may buy. I have shot two different ones in 300 win mag and they both shoot well.

Well I ordered the Browning Abolt Long Range Hunter in 300 Win mag. I hope it will arrive by the end of next week. Thanks for the advice from everyone. I have been looking for the Browning for a few months and had lost hope. I thought about building a savage but when I came across the gun I have been looking for I could not resist. Now I must decide what scope to put on it.

AP218

Good choice, I found a stainless stalker just last Saturday at bass pro marked down, so I jumped on it :Dgun):D

So, AP218, are you sure you made the best decision?
There comes a time when, after looking at what's available on the open market in production rifles, a certain level of frustration sets in. One has the action you want but the stock isn't quite what you'd like or you can't find the barrel/action marriage you've been dreaming of. Prior to my own wait of nearly a year before I could put a round down range, I spent about six months making my final decision on the final design. It evolved like this:

Caliber .284 Winchester
Chamber Reamer: Built to custom personal specs.
Barrel: Krieger 5-R
Action: Remington 700 LA
Stock: McMillan A5 with selectively positioned sling swivel points
Bottom Metal: Remington 700 LA with enclosed magazine and floor plate
Trigger: Remington X-Mark Pro (I know, it's heresy. But you'd be surprised how well it shoots with a properly trained trigger finger :D )
Sights: Zeiss Conquest 6.5 - 20 x 50
Mount and Rings Burris Signature Zee Rings on 20 MOA Picatinny Rail Mount
Action and rail mount bedded
Gunsmith: Highly respected local artist with many years of rifle building experience.

Point here is that it takes time to make your decisions for building your own "custom" rifle.
Having an engineer in the family to work out the reamer details helps too, of course.
At the range this morning this rifle produced a -.5 MOA group showing three holes for five shots fired at 100 yards.
I suspect it cost a bit more than something similar I might have purchased off the shelf, but it's sure worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.