Build or buy factory

my brother and I have 140$ timney, son in law has the elite. neither the 300$ 36x scope or the trigger are the limiting factor with this rifle, the factory barrel is. I have shilen, jewel and timney triggers.

roninflag, I never even thought of the going with the 700 LR because I do like the stock. The plan is to build this over the next year. This would allow me to play with the 700 LR as is and slowly change out the barrel as I go. It would allow me to really put the money into a good barrel/brake/fluting later, but still shot it until then.

I was looking at a used Savage 111 for $350 as the starting point. Then add the B&C m40 stock. for $272. Total $672

or I could buy the Brand new 700 LR for $639 and be at the same point. The only difference is the cost is the trigger replacement. Probably go with the Timney Calvin Elite for an additional 200.

In the long run after Barrel change out to drive down the MOA, I will probably be happier.

Thanks

Try, the 700 LR like it is, and break it in properly, and you might be surprised at how well it will shoot with handloads.

I did the same thing you are currently contemplating over. I bought a 700 LR in .300 WM for around $640. I shot and shot it but could not get consistent groups under 3/4" at 100 yards and I was looking for sub 1/2 MOA. I bought a Bartlein barrel for $340 and I am currently in the process of rebarreling it. My Uncle use to be a professional smith so he is doing it for me and I am fortunate to have his help. I called a handful of shops and all of them were around $200-250 for the barrel install. Add it all up and you are just over $1000 for a 700 action with a B&C stock, top of the line barrel, and a barrel installed by an experienced gunsmith. If I were you, follow what I did because in the end it will be a tack driver.

Do not believe the bogus that you NEED a custom action. All of the rifles I have and the guys I shoot with are built on 700s and Savages. Only one of them has a Stiller and his rifle does not shoot any better than anyone else. The customs are smoother and are true from the factory, but in my opinion the average long range hunter or shooter is not going to tell much of a difference. You will be happy with a semi custom.

OK I just order my rifle. I found a Savage Model 111 action with a .532 bolt face and the savage accustock. I upgraded the accutrigger spring to get to the 1-3 lb range(same one in the varmit series rifles). I also bought a Shilen barrell in 26 in match grade Heavy Sporter with a recessed crown 9"twist in 7mm rem mag. I upgrade the lug nut also. All for $876.

Once I get all the parts and get it built I will post results and pics.

OK I just order my rifle. I found a Savage Model 111 action with a .532 bolt face and the savage accustock. I upgraded the accutrigger spring to get to the 1-3 lb range(same one in the varmit series rifles). I also bought a Shilen barrell in 26 in match grade Heavy Sporter with a recessed crown 9"twist in 7mm rem mag. I upgrade the lug nut also. All for $876.

Once I get all the parts and get it built I will post results and pics.
Should have done a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist for the 175-195gr pills

Should have done a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist for the 175-195gr pills

9 should do fine for the 175-180 class and many shoot the 195 from it as well. I agree I would have went for the 8 as well but the 9 SHOULD handle under the 195 easily and may run the 195s.

9 should do fine for the 175-180 class and many shoot the 195 from it as well. I agree I would have went for the 8 as well but the 9 SHOULD handle under the 195 easily and may run the 195s.

Maybe at higher altitudes, but the 9 won't work with much over a 168gr in a 7mm at 1200'. At least it didn't in my cousins rifle.

It does on Bergers SG calculator. It's usually pretty close but there's no replacement for actually shooting it. As always with everything related to guns, some will, some won't.

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

Yeah I run all my numbers through their calculator and according to them we should have had a 1.5 SG or higher and it would not shoot 180 Bergers or 175 ELD-X bullets at all.

Yeah I run all my numbers through their calculator and according to them we should have had a 1.5 SG or higher and it would not shoot 180 Bergers or 175 ELD-X bullets at all.
That could also be it just didn't like them. I have run some stuff that shouldn't work that did and vice versa for darn sure. That's why I like to have a big selection of bullets from different manufacturers before I build. Learned my lesson building 270 Ultras, 22-06 and 6WSMs that didn't like the 1 bullet they were meant to shoot.

Maybe at higher altitudes, but the 9 won't work with much over a 168gr in a 7mm at 1200'. At least it didn't in my cousins rifle.

It does on Bergers SG calculator. It's usually pretty close but there's no replacement for actually shooting it. As always with everything related to guns, some will, some won't.

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

That could also be it just didn't like them. I have run some stuff that shouldn't work that did and vice versa for darn sure.

Agreed! My buddy shoots a factory HSM ammo loaded with 180 Berger VLD out of his WBTY Accumark in 7MM Rem Mag with 1:9.5" twist without any problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.