to build or buy

My first and only build to date is on a savage model 12. The rifle is a really good shooter. In just the rifle including my tools I think I have 1300 in it. With the scope and bases/rings I'm in it for 2400. However, if I were to do it all over again I wouldnt do a savage. There's alot left to be desired with savage. If your looking for DIY kinda project I'd suggest going with a remage. You can buy trued Remington actions for a good price. Lots of success stories with the remage. Not to mention the aftermarket accessories for the Remington 700 is phenomenal.

Everyone keeps saying that the savage action leaves alot left to be desired. In what way? Are you not getting good accuracy, feeding issues, bolt problems, or what? I am about 75% sure that I'm going to end up with the fierce rifle but still looking at a remington build. But what exactly is the problem with the savage action

Everyone keeps saying that the savage action leaves alot left to be desired. In what way? Are you not getting good accuracy, feeding issues, bolt problems, or what? I am about 75% sure that I'm going to end up with the fierce rifle but still looking at a remington build. But what exactly is the problem with the savage action
Feeding problems
Aftermarket support
Two different shank sizes are my biggest complaint.
And I love my savages.

Trigger, cocking force on bolt lift, cock on close, etc. Not the end of the world but i value all these things in a hunting rifle. All things you can live without if you choose. Tikka is best bang for buck imo.

I am doing a Savage small shank with a NNS Savage Factory SS Varmint action, Boyds stock. Using a Barloc so I won't have to take off scope for barrel changes. I have a 260Rem, 6.5x47 and on order a 25 Creedmoor. Probably end up settling in on one barrel as I have got too many rifles to shoot as it is. The Savage used prefits sell well as the average guy can do the Savage deal without needing a gunsmith.

i have been toying with the idea of building a new rifle. i was thinking of starting with a savage 110 action, shilien barrel either heavy sporter or varmint and a bell and carlson stock. total price would be some where around 1100 before gun smithing. i have also just found fierce firearms. and for the money and with them giving a .5 moa guarantee it seems hard to pass up. and at 2k it seems like a great price
Spend the money and buy a Bighorn action. Then you can save money and install the barrel yourself with a set of go and no/go gauges. That way you can pick out the exact stock and barrel that you want and you can buy pre chambered barrels and rebarrel yourself at anytime.

The biggest problem is that the Savage doesn't have the "swank" of a custom or perhaps even gunsmith massaged 700 action.
The Savage action can be reliable and exceptionally accurate. With a minimum of tools and skill, the owner can screw on a custom barrel without the hassle, time, and cost of a gunsmith....perhaps the greatest appeal. If there is a potential weak spot it's the ejector/extractor. Both can be effectively addressed for less then $20 in parts and 5-10 minutes in time. I have not experienced feeding issues with the various magazine formats, and have shot a few thousand rounds through a a couple of Savage actions with "no" failures and consistent performance. Of course the Savage(much like the Remington) action lacks the smoothness, finish work, and "bragging rights" of my customs......but, they will win matches, and make the long shots on game...just like a custom action. IMO.

Two of my competition rifles in 6.5x47 and a 6.5x284 Hunting rifle
-Savage SA/ Criterion barrel
-Surgeon action/Krieger barrel
-Savage LA/Criterion barrel
F33A776F-BEC2-47DD-9514-A1DFF7BE1793.jpeg 57B57935-62ED-404F-A97E-78FD229692DF.jpeg DE569B3E-2119-4C21-A95A-C2B006E7853A.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.