Mountain rifle - build or buy?

I bought a used Weatherby Mark V ultralight 6 lug model for 1200 bucks. It weighs 5 lb 14 oz without the scope. I installed a 22 oz scope and Talley Rings rifle comes in 1 oz sling that I made loaded at 7 lb 4 oz.

I bought a used Weatherby Mark V ultralight 6 lug model for 1200 bucks. It weighs 5 lb 14 oz without the scope. I installed a 22 oz scope and Talley Rings rifle comes in 1 oz sling that I made loaded at 7 lb 4 oz.

I always forget how light those Weatherby's really are!

I would just get a tikka. I've never seen the appeal for spending thousands on a super light rifle. Light rifles are just not as easy to shoot long range, especially in big magnums. But maybe that's just me. You could also upgrade the tikka later if you wanted to customize. I don't have any custom builds with anything lighter than a 3b/5 contour. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I gotta weigh my Tikka T3 338 WM! For the power, it is nutsy light. The Limbsaver 10011 recoil pad is a must for magnum T3s.

The Barrett Fieldcraft, Browning X-bolt Pro LR, and various Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon LR models (staring with 2018 models) come standard from the factory with faster twist (1:8 in your 7mmRM). All are light.

63440FB9-204B-4456-936C-8C5B9D114D7A.jpeg 18B88AD9-4D3D-4278-915D-C9315CCBC7D2.jpegD653D09D-F135-4098-A5FE-10CA1DECA2EB.jpeg
Cooper firearms ,timber line ,or the backcountry are a nice light accurate choice for $2500-3000 hard to build a nice! custom for that
I second the Cooper! My Backcountry 6.5x284 with Vortex HD LH 3-15x42 weighs 6 lbs, 15 oz and shoots Real Good(3 shot groups at 100 yds)....Killed 182 4/8" South Texas Whitetail with it 2 days ago!

Last edited:
I have a Christensen arms Ridgeline and a Fierce CT Edge, for my light rifles. If I do another lightweight rig, I'd probably go to Lex Webernick at RiflesInc in Pleasanton Tx. For a Strata.
Which do you like better, the Ridgeline or the Fierce? Is the Fierce worth the extra cost?

John,
There is only 2 things I wish were different on the Fierce. One I can fix, one I have to live with.
I bought it in 300 Win Mag and wanted a 26" barrel, but all Cabelas had in stock was the 24". I didn't want to wait, so that's on me to live with.
The radial brake it comes with is very effective, but I will be changing it to a Slayer Titanium.

I love the Sako 85 clone action on the Fierce way better. It feeds and cycles so much better than the Remington 700 clone on the Christensen, it has me spoiled.

Accuracy so far is about the same in my rifles.
For me it is worth the extra money, but maybe not for someone else.

Interestingly, a buddy got a Fierce in 300wm and it came with the rail not locktighted. They forgot to do that. Not excuseable on a stick that expensive. Shoots so so at 250 (where we sight in at, not 100. 100 is for children and handguns.

Kimber hunter is around 5.5 lbs and less than most. The 6.5 lbs mark is about $800 to 1k and the 5.5 and under mark is $1600+ If your looking to drop a few pounds on the gun you have, change the stock to an ultralight. Change rings to Talley LW. Anything more and you'll probably want to get a new gun or start from scratch.

There are a lot of "factory" mountain rifles now that are relatively inexpensive.
Upgrading your current rifle could be fun and rewarding.

If there is a downside to the Barrett Fieldcraft rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 7mm-08, I'm unaware of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.