338 win mag bear bullet

Weight, weight, weight..... For the 338WM, I always loaded 250's with as stout a load as I could handle. That case can still push that big bullet plenty fast to do the deed. I shot both my alaska brown bears with my 338WM loaded with 250gr Hornady Interlock PSP. Nothing special, but heavy. I was able to crush the first bear at 45yds, 2 of 3 bulelts recovered after they penetrated sideways through both shoulders. The 3rd was a mercy shot in the neck spine at about 15ft. If I were to do it again, I'd swap out to A-frames or partitions and not worry. I'd also have no worries using Hammers or Barnes at a good speed, but still with lots of emphasis on using the heaviest bullets I could handle.

I have retrieved several 225 grain SSTs from my .338 win mag from caribou during processing. After seeing total jacket separation from a rib strike, I don't think I would ever use them as bear bullet. I would definitely recommend something burlier.

I work in the firearms industry and teach long range shooting, so I get to see a lot of shooters, guns, and ammo come down the road.
I think any quality, heavy for caliber, bonded bullet works well on bear, as long as they can shoot it! I'd rather hit vitals with a lighter caliber than in the butt with a 416!
Just a thought, but IT'S ABSOLUTELY your job as a guide service to recommend not only caliber but bullet. Do it in Africa often. You may even stick one box each of a few factory loads on the shelf, specifically for situations like this. May save a clients hunt...or your lives!

Having hunted big game 40+ years and guided 10 of those years here in Southeast Alaska, I would say that you cannot go wrong with a Barnes-X bullet. That would include all versions (TSX, TTSX, flat base, boat tail, etc.) The weight retention is usually 95% or better no matter what you hit. 338 or larger caliber for browns and 210-250 grain bullets, heavier = better.

Additionally, we always told the clients to hit them in the front shoulder first on a broadside shot. That will allow for vitals to be hit while breaking them down, tentatively preventing them to get in the brush. We also told them to be ready for a quick follow up shot - or expect our 460 Weatherby (450-500 gr TSX) to file a "report".

The Barnes-X bullets never fail on any big game.

I feel like, If I was guiding that kind of animal, I'd like to have some pretty stout factory loads for common calibers sitting in base camp. Some 375HH, 338WM, 300WM, maybe a couple 416's. That would cover you pretty well with little invested, and have less worry about dying from a failed bullet. Heck, I'll bet Barnes would make the guide a deal on an assortment for camp, maybe even throw a good guide a sponsorship

Exactly. I wouldn't be comfortable with that bullet on an elk either. This guy was really a good sport, great attitude and really enjoying getting into hunting after retirement. But if you told him that was the wrong bullet I don't think he would even know there was a difference in bullet construction.

I think I'd simply tell him when hunting game like Brown bear go to the ammunition websites and use their site to tailor the ammunition to the type of game being hunted. Of course I am assuming he doesn't reload, since you said he only got into hunting after retirement and doesn't have a clue about bullet construction. Then I might recommend brands of ammo that are likely to have good bullets, Hornady would be last on my list since their dangerous game load for the .338 WM is a 225 grain SST bullet. I've used SST bullets in smaller calibers and have always been disappointed in terminal performance as they seem extremely fragile, but I'll admit to them being a real accurate bullet and easy to find a load for.

Hey Dakotakid,
So I was reading in my Nosler #1 reloading Manuel. And under the 338 win mag and I quote, " if I was
Required to use one caliber for the worlds hunting situations I would chose a 338 win mag loaded behind a 250 grn partition. " just my two cents. That's good enough for me. 338 is more than capable for big bears.

Darrin

So I won't comment on hunting brown bears and bullets in 338 win mag but as an avid 338 win mag shooter who loads 200gr SST over H4895 for great results on cervids I would dispute the "no good for elk" comment . A 200gr SST easily pushed at 2850 to 2900 fps is a very accurate combo that has great expansion . I can't see an elk going anywhere far hit in the vitals with that combo.

Per other posters and as a reloader my question on a brown bear hunt would be to ask the guide and work up a load from there .Have had great accuracy success with 225 and 250 and have anchored several deer with both with shoulder shots

If memory serves, in American Hunting Rifles II, Boddington surveys brown bear guides and finds that some of them feel that even a 338 is too light. Somewhere in there he makes it clear that the 375H&H is considered "the" brown bear caliber by most of the guides. I'm heading up there this year and that's what I'll be carrying. Regarding bullet selection, A-Frame, Partition or TSX, especially at those distances.

I'm a little late on this one, and have only shot a black bear with a .454 Casul, but the SHIRAS Moose in pic to the right was taken a 274 Yards with a Barnes TXS 270 grain, in my .375 Ruger. Dropped it in the pond it was standing in. Slight quartering away. I found the slug just under the hide on the far side, it went through the far shoulder. It thrashed a bit but by the time I ran 274 yards it was dead. At that range still about 3000 lbs. of thump. Heck of a gun!!!

On another note, having taken one of these bears apart, It had shoulder bones that were approximately as heavy as a full grown cow. I mean, just the forearm of the 8ft sow that I shot was one of the most heavily muscled and boned limbs I've ever come across. The shoulder bone and socket by the blade were exceptionally heavy. I have no doubt that if you hit that poorly with a bullet not designed for it, you may break the socket but that's all the farther that bullet is going to make it. In the life and death of dangerous game hunting, why use an SST that might be "good enough" when the premium bonded or mono ammo is only a few bucks more?

I got some SSTs in a trade. I didn't want them. All I do is use them on paper.

IMO, they are not big game bullets and are iffy for medium game.

The SST would be the last bullet I would choose and probably would decline a hunt if that is all I had.

Agr
On another note, having taken one of these bears apart, It had shoulder bones that were approximately as heavy as a full grown cow. I mean, just the forearm of the 8ft sow that I shot was one of the most heavily muscled and boned limbs I've ever come across. The shoulder bone and socket by the blade were exceptionally heavy. I have no doubt that if you hit that poorly with a bullet not designed for it, you may break the socket but that's all the farther that bullet is going to make it. In the life and death of dangerous game hunting, why use an SST that might be "good enough" when the premium bonded or mono ammo is only a few bucks more?

Agreed and I'd you reload it would be pennies more and you get the fun of load development

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.