338win mag brown bear

lunchbox0311

I am thinking about buying a .338 win mag for a brown bear hunt and was wanting to see what you all thought about which brand of gun might be better?

Thanks

Lots of guys seem to love the Tikkas in 338 Win. (695 & T3) But, they're getting hard to find.

You wont feel a thing when you are shooting the bear LOL.

As far as at the range shooting it I would:D:D:D

I have one on my 338 and it definitely tames the beast, i shoot 250gr. Game Kings and no brake can be kinda a pain in the shoulder.

Stainless Ruger M77mkII.
275 gr Kodiak Bonded Core @ 2660 pushed by IMR 4831 and a 215 primer.
That load pushes the 338 into the 375 performance catagory on brown bear
It's not bad at all on the shoulder but you want 4" of eye relief on your scope. A 1.5-.75 to 6x lighted reticule scope is ideal.

Just about perfect!!! Put a great scope of medium power on it and spend lots of range time getting used to it and you'll be able to take on any old brownie without question! Don't forget use great bullets..don't skimp in that department, your life depends on it!

what would you consider a great scope? The only ones I really use right now are Nikon and a couple bushnell scopes. All under $200

A good old Leupold 2-7 Heavy Duplex is a good scope for coastal brown bear. . If you want a high dollar scope the NightForce is aparantly a Tough scope. And they have lighted reticule.
No doubt opinions vary . A great big bear taken at 100 or more yards is a trophy big game animal.
But a brown bear that squares 8' or bigger and is shot at bow hunting range, 50' or less is a world class dangerous game trophy. I put a 1.5-6x40 E Dot Burris Sign. Select on my last 416 Rem custom CZ550. That rifle, scope combo was IMO the perfect brown bear rifle. Just put the little red dot in line with where I wanted the bullet to go and it went there. . With the 338 you have to pick your shots a bit better but it still works good.

Here in Alaska the Winchester model 70 with CRF and the FN Mauser are popular.

The new Ruger also.

I use a Rem 700 but had a sako extractor and dual ejectors installed.

For costal hunts short range scopes Leupold 1.5x5 and the Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. Makes a great combo for big bear

For the big costal brown bear I would start at 375 Ruger or HH and go up.......with the best 416 Rem.

My top picks would be the 416 Ruger Alaskan then the 375 Ruger Alaskan.. both Nikon and Bushnell have some very good lower power scopes. Lighted reticules are very nice and can make or break a hunt
The most important thing is that you are best friends with your rifle. And can rapidly and repeatedly hit what you need to from fast field positions. Off hand is one of the most important. But using a rest is good for some shots .

You want at least 4" of eye relief also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.