Best bear bullet in 6.5mm?

I can recommend the Lapua 6.5 155 grain Mega for deer and bears. This bullet is a modern design for big game like moose using the 6.5x55 Swede so popular over in Europe. I use them in my 260 Remington out to 250-300 yards, but most of my hunting is at half that distance. I would not hesitate to use them on moose or elk if I had an opportunity. I sent some over to Ed Hale who runs the NHrifleman.com blog and he likes them as well. They are currently in stock at Midway. I borrowed Ed's comments from his blog and pasted them in the attached PDF file. [All credit to Ed Hale @ nhrifleman.com]

Attachments

• Lapua 6-5 155gr megapoint.pdf
    728.5 KB · Views: 71
I hunted in Vancouver Island
I chose to use a winchester model 70 in 375 HH mag ..the 2 guides also carried 375s as well..my shot was at 165 yards with the 300 grain Nosler Partition..the bear ran 20 yards and piled up dead.
I'm sure that other calibers work as well..I'm just in love with the 375..

I think you had the bases covered pretty well. Congrats on a nice bear.

The short of the long…was up North towards Eagle in Alaska, stopped off to for a ride on the tundra with the ATV's, hoping to find some Caribou or a moose with my son. We rode about 4 miles in on a small ATV trail and got to a glassing point overlooking this huge bowl. We set the ATV's up so that they could block the unforgiving tundra wind and fired up the Jetboil's. I was making Spaghetti that a local company "Heather's Choice" makes for backpackers (highly recommend them…not too keen on their breakfast meals, but their lunch and dinner stuff is really good) when about a mile away I caught movement down below us. Slid over my tripod with the binos mounted on it and immediately could see it was a good sized interior griz wandering around the tundra eating blueberries. Handed the spaghetti off to my kid (who promptly ate it upon my departure) and set off on foot to try and get up on this bear.

Problem with the whole stalk was that there was literally 2 pine trees on the open tundra somewhat between the bear and myself. They were only maybe 2 feet tall if that, but they served as landmarks for me. One of the best lessons I learned as a guide out west is how to pick landmarks out and how to plan a route to where I wanted to go. Things have a tendency to look one way from a distance and a completely different way when you get up to them. I had the wind in my favor and I know that bears don't have the greatest vision so I slowly walked towards the bear cutting the distance as best I could. It took about an hour or so but I cut that distance significantly, and made it to my second small pine tree. I knew that the bear had to be close. I was stopped glassing but couldn't see the bear at all. I wasn't sure if it had left and didn't want to get closer until I knew where it was. I turned back to look up the hill at my son and he immediately pointed forward and then down at the ground. First thought was oh sh!?, it's close.

I turned back towards where the bear was and I could see a smidge of its back over the horizon really close to me. I took a step to the right which lifted me up maybe six or more inches, which exposed the whole back of it, but not the vitals or the head. I had my EL Range Swarovski's on me and of course I had to range it. 29 yards it came back to me at…I thought maybe I had hit the tundra and not the bear so I did it again…29 yards it said. That was 29 yards of completely open tundra between the bear and I, but he was below a small mound scavenging for blueberries. He suddenly dropped down out of sight and I knew based off of the terrain around him he had to have just laid down. I dropped down and crawled to my right which was uphill, I wanted to get above him before he got back up. I crawled until I could just see the back of his hair again and got into a seated position to try and get a shot when he stood up.

I sat there for probably 20 minutes and at one point he rolled a bit and exposed more of himself to me and I hit him again with the range and this time it said 30 yards. I'm assuming I lost a yard trying to get around and above him. Suddenly he stood up quartering away from me, turned his head and froze. No doubt in my mind he saw me…not sure he knew what I was, but he knew that I wasn't supposed to be near him. I pulled up the gun, was a .338 Win Mag, loaded with 250 grain Swift A-Frames, and aimed to punch it through his off shoulder. Squeezed the trigger and at the shot broke that off shoulder. He lunged towards me and with that off shoulder broken rolled when that leg hit the ground. He stood back up broadside and I punched him through both lungs. He didn't even react to that shot. He turned right towards me and took a limping step in my direction. He was facing me coming towards me when I hit him head on in the chest which ran an A-Frame through him. I'm assuming all the way through him as we didn't find the bullet, but I can't be 100 percent sure. Regardless at that shot he collapsed and passed away. I rolled over on my back, reloaded the gun, and just laid there trying to catch my breath. What an experience that was…and now you know why I was happy I was shooting A-Frames!

On a side note, as we were leaving, after we got the bear all cleaned up, my kid killed a great caribou, maybe 2 hours after I had killed that bear. So probably one of the most memorable trips I've had hunting since moving up here.

Mac

View attachment 460811
View attachment 460812

Two nice trophies! You certainly put the horsepower on that bear. LOL

WOW, I was on the edge of my seat with the popcorn trying not to skip to the end! :)

Thank you for sharing the story! What an awesome experience with your son my friend! Be hard to hang a price tag on that memory!!

Hey all, deciding on what bullet to hunt with for black bear this year. Wondering if a more frangible bullet (Berger or ELDM) would do better then a better penetrating bullet (hammer) for bears? Curious on your thoughts,
Cheers
Only bear I've shot was a 500 lb black bear. 150 yards or so. One shot with a hammer 124 hh out of a 6.5 creed he ran 50 yards n dropped. Pass thru with blood trail, although I didn't follow it bc I could see the bear. Not a lot to go own but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot again with the same setup
IMG_7234.jpeg

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone…this time next week I will be out of Whittier on one of the bays stalking my first bear of the year. And doing some shrimping while we are at it. Guess I will have to share my adventures as I go on them this year on here! If you want earlier updates I'm on Instagram stealthyguidejer. Hoping to get a few bears this spring if all goes as planned!

Jeremy

Must say, this thread has been a blast to read.
I find bears fun to hunt. When I'm hunting them, I have full confidence in my ability to get the job done and, the equipment I'm using.
I hope you have the same.

Take care.

The boys andI have shot 4 bears in Idaho so far this spring. I used my 6.5 CM with 130 ELDm. Shot was 390 yards and the 5'5"ish boar rolled down the hill at the shot. Once we got over to him I found him slowly crawling through the under brush and put a finisher in him. First bullet made it into the vitals but did not exit. I will most likely try that bullet again.

My youngest son shot 2 boars about the size of mine 2 290 and 300 using a 7-08 w/150 ELDx. Both bears dropped at the shots only requiring one each. The first bear we found the jacket between the hid and meat. The second bear we were not able to determine where the bullet ended.

My other son shot a smaller bear @ 200 with a .270 Win & 140 VLD. I was not present but I was told the bear hunched up and he shot again.

Based on the 4 bear we shot this year and the bear shot with the 270 Berger combo last year, I'm switching the 270 over to the 145 ELDx. I really appreciate the way it's been hammering bears.