Best bear bullet in 6.5mm?

As I said in my above post, people are very passionate about what they think is best when it comes to hunting and shooting! This proves it. I really like reading and contributing to these threads, thank you to LRHF for providing a wonderful platform where semi like minded people can air out their thoughts and ask intelligent questions!

I don't think that it much matters which bullet you choose, just put it where it counts and you will have a dead bear. Just be a bit more selective in what shots you take if you decide to go the Berger route. I've killed a ton of bears with both types and I don't recall ever thinking to myself "boy I'm glad I had ________________ bullet!" Except for last year on a Griz at 90 feet…I was really glad (based on the poor angles I had to shoot at) that I was shooting A-Frames. Good luck!

Mac

Reemty J - i'm with you i want to hear the mackgee grizzly story with a-frames too! :)

The a-frame walks me into my discussion of loving swift bullets, shooting higher velocity calibers like the weatherby's I do the scirocco's hold up very well, the a-frames are a no brainer and i've loaded them in some of my ruger 1's for 270/300 wby's & 7stw. Anyway I see all the points made, berger is sure hard to beat on accuracy and stopping power just messy if you wanna eat it. Never bear hunted, but all this talk has me thinking i might, especially the grizzly - just waiting for the story! :)

Frangible bullets like Berger and ELD-M are designed differently. "My" preference is a bullet with a massive energy dump on impact. They do not necessarily need a pass-through to be effective.

It boils down to your preference and intended purpose. The beauty of it all is you have plenty of choices. Regardless of the claims, there is no such thing as a magic bullet, and it is fail-safe. That is just plain BS.

View attachment 448418

Murphy does not discriminate. Pick a bullet and have a wonderful and safe hunt.

And I will just bet....There's no such thing as....UNICORNS....OR SANTA CLAUS! GEEEEEZ FENIX...what are my grandchildren going to think if someone goes around spreading rumors like this....."No such thing as a magic bullet"!

My go to bear cartridge here in wyoming is the 338-06. I shoot 210 tsx at around 2750 fps and it's good on the biggest black bears from any angle. Countless clients have used it to harvest bears with me. But I'm sure you were asking about 6.5 caliber bullets so here goes. In the 6.5 Grendel my daughter shoots 125 partitions, I've loaded 125 partitions and 120 ttsx in the creed and the 260 rem. I've also played with the 6.5x55 and 140 tsx, but my all time favorite 6.5 is the 6.5x284 with a 140 vld hunting bullet and a full house load of RL22! My oldest son would disagree with me and loves his custom 264 win and a 142 long range accubond...... there really is no wrong answer, just preference I guess. So many people are extremely passionate about their opinions on bullets and rifles, I believe everyone should use what works for them...... hope this helps!
I hunted in Vancouver Island
I chose to use a winchester model 70 in 375 HH mag ..the 2 guides also carried 375s as well..my shot was at 165 yards with the 300 grain Nosler Partition..the bear ran 20 yards and piled up dead.
I'm sure that other calibers work as well..I'm just in love with the 375..

Attachments

• IMG_2964(1).jpg
    IMG_2964(1).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 52
I hunted in Vancouver Island
I chose to use a winchester model 70 in 375 HH mag ..the 2 guides also carried 375s as well..my shot was at 165 yards with the 300 grain Nosler Partition..the bear ran 20 yards and piled up dead.
I'm sure that other calibers work as well..I'm just in love with the 375..

Nice bear 👍 and good cartridge choice! 😉 memtb

The short of the long…was up North towards Eagle in Alaska, stopped off to for a ride on the tundra with the ATV's, hoping to find some Caribou or a moose with my son. We rode about 4 miles in on a small ATV trail and got to a glassing point overlooking this huge bowl. We set the ATV's up so that they could block the unforgiving tundra wind and fired up the Jetboil's. I was making Spaghetti that a local company "Heather's Choice" makes for backpackers (highly recommend them…not too keen on their breakfast meals, but their lunch and dinner stuff is really good) when about a mile away I caught movement down below us. Slid over my tripod with the binos mounted on it and immediately could see it was a good sized interior griz wandering around the tundra eating blueberries. Handed the spaghetti off to my kid (who promptly ate it upon my departure) and set off on foot to try and get up on this bear.

Problem with the whole stalk was that there was literally 2 pine trees on the open tundra somewhat between the bear and myself. They were only maybe 2 feet tall if that, but they served as landmarks for me. One of the best lessons I learned as a guide out west is how to pick landmarks out and how to plan a route to where I wanted to go. Things have a tendency to look one way from a distance and a completely different way when you get up to them. I had the wind in my favor and I know that bears don't have the greatest vision so I slowly walked towards the bear cutting the distance as best I could. It took about an hour or so but I cut that distance significantly, and made it to my second small pine tree. I knew that the bear had to be close. I was stopped glassing but couldn't see the bear at all. I wasn't sure if it had left and didn't want to get closer until I knew where it was. I turned back to look up the hill at my son and he immediately pointed forward and then down at the ground. First thought was oh sh!?, it's close.

I turned back towards where the bear was and I could see a smidge of its back over the horizon really close to me. I took a step to the right which lifted me up maybe six or more inches, which exposed the whole back of it, but not the vitals or the head. I had my EL Range Swarovski's on me and of course I had to range it. 29 yards it came back to me at…I thought maybe I had hit the tundra and not the bear so I did it again…29 yards it said. That was 29 yards of completely open tundra between the bear and I, but he was below a small mound scavenging for blueberries. He suddenly dropped down out of sight and I knew based off of the terrain around him he had to have just laid down. I dropped down and crawled to my right which was uphill, I wanted to get above him before he got back up. I crawled until I could just see the back of his hair again and got into a seated position to try and get a shot when he stood up.

I sat there for probably 20 minutes and at one point he rolled a bit and exposed more of himself to me and I hit him again with the range and this time it said 30 yards. I'm assuming I lost a yard trying to get around and above him. Suddenly he stood up quartering away from me, turned his head and froze. No doubt in my mind he saw me…not sure he knew what I was, but he knew that I wasn't supposed to be near him. I pulled up the gun, was a .338 Win Mag, loaded with 250 grain Swift A-Frames, and aimed to punch it through his off shoulder. Squeezed the trigger and at the shot broke that off shoulder. He lunged towards me and with that off shoulder broken rolled when that leg hit the ground. He stood back up broadside and I punched him through both lungs. He didn't even react to that shot. He turned right towards me and took a limping step in my direction. He was facing me coming towards me when I hit him head on in the chest which ran an A-Frame through him. I'm assuming all the way through him as we didn't find the bullet, but I can't be 100 percent sure. Regardless at that shot he collapsed and passed away. I rolled over on my back, reloaded the gun, and just laid there trying to catch my breath. What an experience that was…and now you know why I was happy I was shooting A-Frames!

On a side note, as we were leaving, after we got the bear all cleaned up, my kid killed a great caribou, maybe 2 hours after I had killed that bear. So probably one of the most memorable trips I've had hunting since moving up here.

Mac

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg