338 win mag bear bullet

dakotakidd

Last year I got the opportunity to help guide in the Bristol Bay area of Alaska for brown bear. It was a great experience and it's about all I think about now. Headed back in August 19. Our first client we had was shooting a 338 win mag and I thought nothing of it. Well after poor performance on a brown bear at 100+/- yards, tracking it into an alder patch and having to finish her with a 375 Ruger mag. Skip ahead a couple days to bear number two. Shot at about the same distance, bear takes off into the alders never to be seen again, ending the hunt for the client, costing him a trophy fee and really upsetting me. I don't like to leave a wounded animal in the field. It got me thinking is 338wm enough gun? It wasn't till the next day we flew out of camp I saw his bullet selection, 200 grain sst....I'm guessing here is our problem. Caliber is discussed with the client but never bullet selection. No, as a helper/assistant and now apprentice working towards my guide license its not my place to suggest what bullet to use. With the clients we have, alot of them have little hunting experience, they go buy a fancy gun in a large caliber and the first box of bullets they see and go for it.

So going forth in preparation for the bear hunts we are now wanting to suggest bullets for the clients to use for a given caliber. 338 and 375 are by far the most used. I was thinking Nosler partition? but after that I don't really know. Thought about Barnes, but will they expand at close range? Would like some more input on 338 win mag, 375 hh and 375 Ruger. Factory ammo, I doubt any of these guys reload.

Hope you made it through my long/short story and don't bash on me......I'm far from a writer!

I reload all my ammo.

But in Factory loads I'd be looking for shells containing 1) Swift A-Frame, 2) Trophy Bonded (Speer), 3) Nosler Partition, and 4) Nosler Accubond - in that preferential order. Those are the ones I believe are loaded in Factory ammo, that I can think of at the moment.

Behind those 4 bullets, I'd consider a Barnes TTSX or TSX. The Barnes will penetrate deeper, but likely with less immediate shock effect. Still a good bullet, all in all, in those larger calibers.

Pretty good list above, can't squawk about the order. I would stay heavier as possible.

I will say in the heavier bullets the WinMag shows it's limitations.

I've been told the A frames are tough. Might have to load some in my 338

Is there a chance they really screwed up the shot and didn't put it in a place for the bullet to do its job? 100 yards seems pretty close tho - it would have to be a pretty bad flinch. Your comment about little hunting experience and big recoiling magnums made me ask the question.

Any tough bonded or solid barnes type bullet would give you some good penetration.

I reload all my ammo.

But in Factory loads I'd be looking for shells containing 1) Swift A-Frame, 2) Trophy Bonded (Speer), 3) Nosler Partition, and 4) Nosler Accubond - in that preferential order. Those are the ones I believe are loaded in Factory ammo, that I can think of at the moment.

Behind those 4 bullets, I'd consider a Barnes TTSX or TSX. The Barnes will penetrate deeper, but likely with less immediate shock effect. Still a good bullet, all in all, in those larger calibers.

X2

They guy had just started hunting within a few years. Had been to Africa, some guided predator hunts and maybe a deer or antelope. He was a decent shot from what I could tell. Hard to say on the first bear, to me it looked like it was a good shot. Follow the leg up and go about 1/3 up his body. Should be heart. I kinda thing the sst hit bone and deflected.

The 210 partitions in the 338 winny is my dad's favorite bullet. It shoots fairly flat has enough weight to do damage. I like the hot core and the grand slams from speer. They shoot well and hit hard. I don't shoot the 338 winny much. I had bought it hunt bears over hounds. Now it's just begging to be a 300wsm or prc.
I would think that the 213 HH and 225 sledge hammer would be a great bullet for the 338 win mag

They guy had just started hunting within a few years. Had been to Africa, some guided predator hunts and maybe a deer or antelope. He was a decent shot from what I could tell. Hard to say on the first bear, to me it looked like it was a good shot. Follow the leg up and go about 1/3 up his body. Should be heart. I kinda thing the sst hit bone and deflected.

Interesting - or hit bone and blew up never making it to the vitals. Those SSTs aren't big bear tough thats for sure.

I have never been brown bear hunting, but want to go in the near future. i am interested in hearing what those with experience recommend...

Is 338 the min caliber you guys allow your clients to hunt with?

Depends on the hunter or if he's hunted with us before. Honestly if we knew he was capable a 30-06 would be fine. All of our shots are 100yds +/- a few. I shot my first with a 300 win mag and a 200eldx. About 110yds, one in the vitals and one more for good measure and he didn't make it far. But we do like to see a 338 or 375.

On heavy game a 200 gr bullet really is a 30 cal bullet IMO, in a 338 you put a lot of frontal area with less bullet length to drive it deep then add in it was an SST and I'd say hitting bone would be a good way to have an issue. I know on elk if a guy showed up with that loaded I'd try to talk him into my rifle and if I couldn't I'd make him swear on all he holds dear he'll stay of the shoulder!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.