Black Bear bullet options

Ernie

SPONSOR
I have a likely opportunity to go after black bear in the near future.
Never hunted black bear before.
I already know that Partitions and the 6.5 140 AB's and the 7mm 160 AB's will work on black bear.
Will be using one of my center-grip XP-100 specialty pistols and a revolver.

Here is my question is do these work on black bear?
7mm 175 grain ELD-X at 2900 fps or the Nosler LR Accubond at the same speed.

142 6.5 LR Accubond from 2700-3050ish fps. Three different 6.5's
The 7mm load with the 175 ELD-X took four elk last year and a muley buck, all under 250 yards

Has anyone killed several bears with the 175 ELD-X or LR AB's in 6.5 and or 7mm with satisfying results?

I've taken 2 black bears with a 6.5 cm. One with a 140 A-max 2680fps and one with a 140 eld-m 2773 fps. Both did an excellent job. Black bear aren't as tough as people make them out to be. You dont need a cannon to kill them. The 175 eld-x will more than suffice. Dont over think it.
Roger that.
Thanks!

I agree, shot placement is most critical. They'll run but typically don't go more than 50yds with a shot to the vitals. Plenty of bear taken with 6.5 creedmoor and 143 eldx, 200 eldx and a 300wm as well. I would run them with confidence.

For what it's worth 19 year old daughter of one of my hunting buddies killed a smallish black bear with a 243 last year. No BS. Happened near Ohiopyle Pa. after shooting the bear he ran towards her. She threw the gun at him and ran. He died nearby. Keep forgetting to ask her what bullet she shot but I have a feeling she won't know. Wish there was video. So I think your good with any quality bullet your thinking about.

I've seen a couple bear killed with various ELDx bullets and they work well. I know one guy who's taken 4 bear with 123 SSTs from a 6.5 Grendel out to 400 yards with excellent results. I've used Accubonds for my bear bullet and always been happy with the results.

Where would you be hunting? Here in WA an average bear is in the 150-200# range. I just think of bear like a good sized deer that doesn't leave a blood trail. They're pretty easy to kill.

I shot a black bear with a 129ablr last year. Quartered to and went straight through the shoulder and out in front of rear quarter. Bear went straight down

Well, the last one I shot back in the Stone Age (1997) was with a .30-06 and a 165 grain factory Winchester Failsafe round. It was a nice 180 lb Bruin. I done kilt him dead with that Failsafe.

I have a likely opportunity to go after black bear in the near future.
Never hunted black bear before.
I already know that Partitions and the 6.5 140 AB's and the 7mm 160 AB's will work on black bear.
Will be using one of my center-grip XP-100 specialty pistols and a revolver.

Here is my question is do these work on black bear?
7mm 175 grain ELD-X at 2900 fps or the Nosler LR Accubond at the same speed.

142 6.5 LR Accubond from 2700-3050ish fps. Three different 6.5's
The 7mm load with the 175 ELD-X took four elk last year and a muley buck, all under 250 yards

Has anyone killed several bears with the 175 ELD-X or LR AB's in 6.5 and or 7mm with satisfying results?
Man, we have killed them with eldx, eldm, bergers, sst, nosler ballistic tips etc...they are crazy easy to kill and don't require a real tough bullet. Think big coyote not small grizzly. We take them with 243's and 6mm creedmoors regularly. I am sure whatever you choose will be fine.

I've shot a fair number of bears over the years. IMO they are no harder to kill than a whitetail of similar weight. Any appropriate cartridge and bullet combo that works for deer will work for black bears.
I tend to use .458 bullets (45-70) to create holes that are less likely to clog with fat from winter-time bears but it probably isn't necessary.

I shoot the 168 ABLR's in my 7 mag at 2850 and they are bad to the bone!

While testing last season I took a big doe at 230 yards and a monster hog at 100 yards. Deliberately shot them through both shoulders to see performance.

The doe had a 2" wound channel & internal devastation. The hog (300# live weight) went through 4" of fat, both shoulders and broke her back with a 1" wound channel.

I'm pretty sure it would take a bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.