Best bear bullet in 6.5mm?

When I was only 3.....

Nope! Never killed anything bigger than a mule deer. That was done with a fmj... 1 shot and dead.
So far, in my life experiences of killing critters, I would say that a Mule Deer buck is way tougher than the 3 black bears I've harvested…just saying……..
"Zombie Bucks"…….I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way

Hey all, deciding on what bullet to hunt with for black bear this year. Wondering if a more frangible bullet (Berger or ELDM) would do better then a better penetrating bullet (hammer) for bears? Curious on your thoughts,
Cheers

Black bears are easy to kill. It is often said that they are no harder to take than a whitetail of similar weight.

IMO - you can never go wrong by using the time-tested & proven, Nosler Partition bullet. Larger diameter bullets can be beneficial when shooting fatty bears but all (non-varmint) bullets will work fine with good shot placement with a 6.5mm.

My Canadian outfitter told me that he had a hunter coming in to hunt black bears with a 22-250. When I told him that the 22-250 seemed to be a rather poor choice he said, "the guy is one of my regulars and takes a bear every year with that rifle". Just some food for thought.

I agree with varmint hunters post, bears are not some mythical creature that are impossible to kill just because they have sharp teeth. Very similar to whitetails in killability....... pretty sure that's not a word. The 22-250 part is especially refreshing. I know a gentleman from Oklahoma who kills hundersd of hogs every year with nothing but the 22-250, uses 55 gr federal bloe box ammo. Hogs are much denser and tougher than bears. In my humble opinion.

I've been around plenty of bears that were very deceased via the Swift and 22/250. All of them via standard 55 Horn's w/c, 60 Horns, the old 55 and 60 Nosler Solid bases and my fav of the group the 63 Sierra.

There are several fellas from my home town that used to make a yearly trip across the border to the north to bucket hunt for bears and relax and get out of town. Most of those fellas were using the Swift and or 22/250.

Never any issues.

I've mentioned this b4 on here but my biggest bruin was a beast that I had called into 178 yards before he decent that blondie the she-bear looked better than my call sounded. So when he turned to follow her I stuck a 63 Sierra in about where his love handle would on his right side. The bullet went mostly end to end and exited where his adams apple would be (if a bruin has one...?). Bear went a very short sprint and pitched over!

Then there was the bruin that a client wounded (I was guiding professionally) that came after me from 15'. One shot under the chin with my 22/250 ended the assault before it got overly exciting....

My point being, killing just isn't near as tough as most people make it out to be.

I filled my freezer this year with a mongo sized cow a bit over 300 yds. Again, with my 22/250 and a 63 Sierra. Bullet went in behind her front and exited low on the far shoulder. The tasty gal went a very short ways and hit the turf.

The big 22's will do the job if you do. And note, that I don't feel the need for a quick twist and heavies or premium bullets in them. The premiums are harder and while they most certainly kill they tend to be a bit slower on the job.

Just my 3 cents, sorry for the run into left field on the thread...:)

2 holes are preferable for bear hunting. Just from the stand point of tracking the bear after it runs. Not all bears are on wide open slopes. And when you shoot a bear that runs through a bunch of muskeg. The more visible blood you can see the better.

Good point, for sure on all big game I prefer two holes to help with a blood trail. We find bruins here everywhere from the sage flats to berry patches that are so thick a man can't stand up in them.

Side note the best blood trail I ever followed from a bear had been shot with a 22/250 and a 60 NSB.

It has been my experience after many years of persuing the bruin that they just don't bleed a lot. But, get the first shot in the right place and you'll be Golden.

130 ttsx out of a 308 with a 16.5" barrel Suppressed. Perfect shot placement. The bear literally went 20 yards and tipped over. Suppressed firearms have also changed the game, I've noticed with all game, deer elk bears. The don't run as far...... am I the only one who thinks this?

Attachments

• 20180520_072024.jpg
    20180520_072024.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 8954.jpeg
    8954.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 66
130 ttsx out of a 308 with a 16.5" barrel Suppressed. Perfect shot placement. The bear literally went 20 yards and tipped over. Suppressed firearms have also changed the game, I've noticed with all game, deer elk bears. The don't run as far...... am I the only one who thinks this?

I've been shooting those 130 TTSX for some time now in my .308Win. They were originally a bit finicky to find a good load for but once I found it, the accuracy and performance was impressive. My rifle will regularly drop 3 shots into < 2" at 400yds, with a muzzle velocity of 3,130 fps.

There are several mentions about bears being easy to kill……this is quite true! Especially over baits, or treed by hounds, where shot placement is easy.

It's even been said that the average bear is no larger or harder to kill than the average Whitetail……true again! However, who in the hell goes out intending to shoot average? 🤔

The cartridge is already "somewhat marginal" for a worst case scenario…..why further compound the "possible" problems using a "less than premium" bullet. Both of these issues should weigh heavily into the equation….if it may be a one time hunt. If the hunter will have or has had many opportunities…..use anything that is thought to be adequate!

As seen in my signature line…. I try to prepare for the unforeseen possibilities! These are JMO's! memtb

There are several mentions about bears being easy to kill……this is quite true! Especially over baits, or treed by hounds, where shot placement is easy.

It's even been said that the average bear is no larger or harder to kill than the average Whitetail……true again! However, who in the hell goes out intending to shoot average? 🤔

The cartridge is already "somewhat marginal" for a worst case scenario…..why further compound the "possible" problems using a "less than premium" bullet. Both of these issues should weigh heavily into the equation….if it may be a one time hunt. If the hunter will have or has had many opportunities…..use anything that is thought to be adequate!

As seen in my signature line…. I try to prepare for the unforeseen possibilities! These are JMO's! memtb

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is how I feel as well. I've shot most of my bears near the bait pile and nothing beats the good ol' 45-70. A good size hole on both sides prevents bears from getting very far if they don't drop to a shoulder shot.

For longer ranges I'd use a 30cal of one flavor or another, but that's just me.

Bear conversations are a ton load of fun, no place on these forums do opinions vary so much and like many topics many people are seriously talking out of their 6...

Side note to consider the average bear taken in my region (Rocky Mtns) is 5' and maybe 150 lbs soaking wet.

I'm not sure Memtb what round you're calling "somewhat marginal" but if it's one of the 6.5's then you seriously need to get off the farm a bit.

You say "use anything that is thought to be adequate". Ok, by who's standards and who says what is and what isn't adequate....?

IME good judgement will help more when it comes to preparing for unforeseen possibilities. Far and away I've seen more issues with recovering animals over **** poor judgement by the shooter than I have by rounds/bullets that might be inadequate.

I'll finish by saying that you like to quote Bob Hagel. I was fortunate to know Bob and spend time with him. There was a lot of things that Bob did very well and some things that he pushed to extremes. I do miss talking with Bob, learned a lot from him. Bob passed darn near 20 years ago, lots of things have changed since then. Would be so cool to cuss and discuss with him some of the neat things that have come along since.

Last thing, why do you think I've done a fair bit of running amuck with a 7 Mashburn Super, a 340 Wby and a 375 Wby:)....RIP--BFH

dogz, please attempt to read a bit more carefully! 😉 the following are some quotes from my previous post!

* It's even been said that the average bear is no larger or harder to kill than the average Whitetail……true again! However, who in the hell goes out intending to shoot average?

I'm disappointed to hear that the average Black Bear in Montana is likely less than 150 pounds. 🫢 Is this the weight of the average bear killed or an average of the entire population using weights from newborn cubs to adult bears? 🤔

* The cartridge is already "somewhat marginal" for a worst case scenario…..why further compound the "possible" problems using a "less than premium" bullet.

PLEASE read carefully……. Quote: The cartridge is already "somewhat marginal" for a worst case scenario The key words here…..worst case scenario!

* Both of these issues should weigh heavily into the equation….if it may be a one time hunt.

* If the hunter will have or has had many opportunities…..use anything that is thought to be adequate!

Perhaps this was not clear …though I thought it was pretty clear!

In the very same sentence that I spoke of the "hunter" having many opportunities and stated post comma, "use anything that is thought to be adequate"…..obviously meaning the "hunter" Simply meaning……the "hunter" can chose anything he/she deems (thinks) adequate to accomplish the task!

Apparently reading comprehension is not a prerequisite in all schools!

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend…..I wish that I had met and had the opportunity to know Bob!

The smaller cartridges are much improved, however, the effectiveness of the larger more powerful cartridges had not diminished over time…..in fact I suspect that they are improved by the same technology that has improved the smaller cartridges/calibers!

I have zero knowledge of your background or life experiences…..nor you mine! memtb

Last edited:

Recent Posts