338 RUM or 33 Nosler

Anyone have input on either of these calibers for a Nilgai/Elk Gun?

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
I've shot 338 RUM and .340 Wby, and I currently run a .338 Edge. The answer to your question is whichever one you can find brass for the easiest. ADG has brass for all but the .340, and it can usually be found. Of course, Nosler has much more expensive brass than ADG.

Word of caution: if you are building this on a standard 700 magnum action, you're going to run into magazine length issues with a .340 Wby and a .338 Edge. I don't think there would be any real advantage to any of them over the other as far as top loading IF your action port is of correct length. The Wby and Edge will require extra long actions AND magazine parts, even with moderate length-for-caliber bullets (ask me how I know... I built the Edge on a 700 Magnum action and it's a single load proposition unless I use 210 gr bullets or lighter and jump them a half mile to the lands - set up for Hornady 285gr Match). Personally, I would build the 338 RUM for your desired purpose. There isn't that much performance difference in it and the Edge, but considerably more than the 33 Nosler (which inexplicably has the lowest powder capacity of the Nosler magnum cartridges). You can buy 338 RUM brass cheaper than 33 Nosler brass unless you find the .33 in ADG. You'll have an easier time getting an action and bottom metal to accomodate the 338 RUM vs the 340 or Edge. The 338 RUM shoots a solid MOA out of factory BDL rifles, which is saying something. It will have more recoil than your .300, even though slightly less powder. Be prepared.

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
Just my 2-cents that costs 6-cents to make :D

I had a 338 RUM, and it shot about 1-inch groups with 210-gr. Nosler Partitions, and at about 3,200-FPS. - I had a brake put on it, and it worked, BUT, after firing 10-rds. at the range with ear-protection, I had fatigue-like concussion! :D - I sold it. - I like my Dad's regular .338 Winchester Magnum. It shoots the same bullet to 2,950-FPS, which is good enough for me - without the excessive blast and noise! And it uses way less gunpowder. Plus no brake needed.

I have taken five big game animals in my life, and all were within 300-yards. - I live in Wyoming. Rifles: 30-06 with 150 and 165-gr. Partitions, 7mm Remington Magnum and 150-gr. Partitions, and the .338 RUM.

So, the BIG Question is: At what range do you want to shoot your animal?

1649268849860.png

:D LOOKY

Last edited:
Just my 2-cents that costs 6-cents to make :D

I had a 338 RUM, and it shot about 1-inch groups with 210-gr. Nosler Partitions, and at about 3,200-FPS. - I had a brake put on it, and it worked, BUT, after firing 10-rds. at the range with ear-protection, I had fatigue-like concussion! :D - I sold it. - I like my Dad's regular .338 Winchester Magnum. It shoots the same bullet to 2,950-FPS, which is good enough for me - without the excessive blast and noise! And it uses way less gunpowder. Plus no brake needed.

I have taken five big game animals in my life, and all were within 300-yards. - I live in Wyoming. Rifles: 30-06 with 150 and 165-gr. Partitions, 7mm Remington Magnum and 150-gr. Partitions, and the .338 RUM.

So, the BIG Question is: At what range do you want to shoot your animal?

View attachment 356173
Lefty:

I am a huge .338 WM fan; I have shot more stuff with that caliber than any other, everything from an African lion in Tanzania, two leopards, a croc, 4 moose (last one was a .375 HH but should have used my WM), a brown bear, grizz, 9 bull elk and a pile of other critters.

You are right: what range? The .338 WM works great to 400, maybe 500 (I use a Boone and Crocket reticle in mine so 500 is a bit dicey). I did kill a six by elk at 638 but not ideal.

Thanks!
Personally I'd go 33 Nosler, It will leave room in the magazine to adjust seating depth with those long heavy bullets.

Go with a 338 Allen Xpress sends 300gr at 3050 fps or at sea level 2972 fps.

Thanks!
Both of them will do the job I have 2 of each one of those I keep one loaded with 300 gr. And 250gr. I'm 348 and my 300 rum I shoot the 210 and the other one the 180 gr. For moose and long range I like my 338 l W you want go wrong with ether one pick your recoil

33 nosler with 225-265 is a gamer hammer that's fits standard action ect..
Performance is really
Close not gonna lose either way.
338 edge gets a bit more performance but you limited a few less
Brass options factory ammo.
If your
Gonna Reload all ammo you will be happy with all
Of them no doubt.
I've always been a nosler
Fan.
338-378
33 nosler
340 wby in that order
338 378 for me

I would do a 30-378 Weatherby personally. I have traveled all over the world and thats always been my go to gun Sako TRGS 995 it will drive nails and the PH's in Africa love it cause what ever you shoot is laying right their. If I was younger and starting over I would do a 30 Nosler or a 33 Nosler.

Thanks!
Well at the time I rebarreled my rifle I went with the 338 win mag, hind sight being what it is might have gone 33 Nosler, but with the win mag the 225 grain accubond and 250 grain accubonds work well I have a 265 grain load been playing with but not dialed in yet. For elk have to lean towards the 225 grain.

Truth be known, although I have a .300 and .330 RUM, my .338 WM served me well before I got them. I haven't tried any "new" powders, but my old tried and true load of 70 grains of IMR 4350 pushing a Hornady 225 grain spire point was an excellent performer.

I can't speak to the RUM or 33 Nosler you're asking about as I've never shot either and don't know anyone who owns one of them. But I can speak to the .338 Nosler Partitions since I've owned a 340 Weatherby for about 30 years. Here in Wyoming, I've shot a good number of animals including elk, moose, deer, antelope, bear and even a couple of buffalo, etc. with that gun. Mostly I've used 210 grain partitions and it is a wonderful bullet for elk (and everything else). You won't go wrong with any of the partitions. My gun doesn't particularly like accubonds. IMO the .338 caliber rifle is the perfect gun for elk and moose.