338-RUM or 375-RUM

W4MWK

Hello To All,
I'm hoping to get a Caribou and or Elk hunt under my belt before I get much older I'm 59 now! I'm also Disabled.
I have the choice of 2 different caliber's 338-RUM or a 375-RUM, I'm asking for opinion's on these 2 caliber Rifle's, Max Range I'll try a shot is about 600 yards, I'm shooting my 50-BMG at 800 yardsgun), I'm going to purchase one of these Rifles, Just need some some thought's.
Thanks,
Happy Hunting,
Mike

The 375RUM will rock you a good one. I think the 338RUM is a nice round. Either way - Ouch!!

W4MWK,

For simply elk, the 375 would be much more gun then needed but would work well. The 338 RUM on the other hand is right at home elk hunting. Its a bit much on smaller game but for longer range shooting its right at home as well.

The problem with the 375 is that its bullet selection is not the best for longer range shooting. Even the 300 gr Accubonds or Sierra boat tails are not very good as far as BC goes. They drift quite a bit and drop pretty fast and with the best BC bullets, you have alot of recoil. Not a real issue if you use a muzzle brake but if not, a real concern.

If you compare a 250 gr 338 Accubond with a 260 gr 375 Accubond, the 338 has a much better BC and better sectional density so it will fly flatter, drift less and penetrate deeper all things the same.

You could use the 350 gr SMK in the 375 RUM but recoil will be dramatically more then even standard 300 gr 375 RUM loads.

With the 338, you have a vastly superior selection of bullets for all around use and in the end, its just a much better long range option and for all big game its much more flexible then the big 375.

I would personally recommend the 338. For 600 yard shooting, even the 225 gr Accubond would be a great choice and on game performance at that range would be hard to beat.

Hey Guys,
Yea the 375 recoil was a concern, I do intend to have a Muzzle Break installed, (Although I'm 6'2" tall and weigh in at 285 lbs, The 375 is still alot of recoil,) I'm not sure yet which muzzle break to go with, I'd like to look at the Kirby Allen design's, I can't seem to find a Web Site. Mr. Allen, Do you have any info available? I sent you a regular email asking for the info.
Back to the issue at hand! I think I may go with the Model 700-XCR in 338 RUM, It seems that everyone has far more positive opinions.
Thanks to everyone so far for the thoughts.
The $500.00 offer is a good deal, Can you post some pictures?
Thanks,
Mike

Hey Guys,
Yea the 375 recoil was a concern, I do intend to have a Muzzle Break installed, (Although I'm 6'2" tall and weigh in at 285 lbs, The 375 is still alot of recoil,) I'm not sure yet which muzzle break to go with, I'd like to look at the Kirby Allen design's, I can't seem to find a Web Site. Mr. Allen, Do you have any info available? I sent you a regular email asking for the info.
Back to the issue at hand! I think I may go with the Model 700-XCR in 338 RUM, It seems that everyone has far more positive opinions.
Thanks to everyone so far for the thoughts.
The $500.00 offer is a good deal, Can you post some pictures?
Thanks,
Mike

Kirby does not have a website at this time but plenty of threads on his muzzle brakes ... here's one for starters ...

Testing APS PainKiller muzzle brake -

Good luck!

Ed

W4MWK,

For simply elk, the 375 would be much more gun then needed but would work well. The 338 RUM on the other hand is right at home elk hunting. Its a bit much on smaller game but for longer range shooting its right at home as well.

The problem with the 375 is that its bullet selection is not the best for longer range shooting. Even the 300 gr Accubonds or Sierra boat tails are not very good as far as BC goes. They drift quite a bit and drop pretty fast and with the best BC bullets, you have alot of recoil. Not a real issue if you use a muzzle brake but if not, a real concern.

If you compare a 250 gr 338 Accubond with a 260 gr 375 Accubond, the 338 has a much better BC and better sectional density so it will fly flatter, drift less and penetrate deeper all things the same.

You could use the 350 gr SMK in the 375 RUM but recoil will be dramatically more then even standard 300 gr 375 RUM loads.

With the 338, you have a vastly superior selection of bullets for all around use and in the end, its just a much better long range option and for all big game its much more flexible then the big 375.

I would personally recommend the 338. For 600 yard shooting, even the 225 gr Accubond would be a great choice and on game performance at that range would be hard to beat.

What Kirby said! If 600 yds will be your maximum range shot, then shoot the 225 Nosler Accubond and enjoy less recoil than the 250 gr Accubond. Goodgrouper has use the 225 Accubond out past 1000 yds with excellent results. Kirby knows what he's talking about, and I couldn't have said it better.

Hi,
Does anyone have Load Data for the Nosler Accubond 225gr or the 250gr, in 338 RUM? It may be the same as for the 338 Federal which is the only one listed on Nosler's site!
Thanks,
Mike

Load 94 grains of 7828 with the 338 ultramag and 225 AB. It gets about 3220 fps in a 26" barrel and is very accurate. This would be the best choice for what you are hunting and your 600 yard max range. You do not need the recoil of the 375. This load is a death ray on elk out to 600 yards and beyond. You can go hotter but this load is all you need and will give you several loads with your brass. 98 grains of reloader 25 will do the same.

My choice would be the 338RUM, as i have never been mad enough at an Elk, or Caribou to shoot them with the 375RUM but then again i shoot whitetail with a 338Lapua some times,

Yea, I know what you mean, I use a 308 for whitetail but have used a 300 win mag, I just purchased a Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine 7.62X54R and I'm haveing a ball with it, May try it on Whitetail this season! You never know it may work out just fine.
I have allready decide on the 338 RUM, I think the 375 would be a little over kill for the Elk and my shoulder.
Thanks for your thoughtsm
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.