338 RUM or 33 Nosler

Yes Sir, but hard to let it go with only 300+ on it. Shoots good. I am actually over velocity from what Berger fave me with it (all be it, they are cooonseeervatiiive).
How long of barrel? I'm running them around 3k 30" tube but I believe this is the low node. I'm sure I can find another one higher up but accuracy is great so who cares.

Anyone have input on either of these calibers for a Nilgai/Elk Gun?

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
Unless you are dying for another build, stick with the .338 RUM. With the bullets you have on the list, it is an easy 1KY+ elk rifle, even with a BDL setup.

The 33 Nosler will fit in a standard action better but the 338 RUM will be better in every other way. If you need some 33 Nosler brass I have some laying around lol

8EE8F002-30D8-44D0-906D-9C7E964D95AC.jpeg

Maybe you've had too much RUM this evening?? ;)

(hasn't the Edge been around for like 2 decades?
If I keep telling this bartender gal to surprise me with shots, I'm bound to get some rum eventually.

I'm partial to the Remington UMs because my first one was a 338. When I got ready to retire that barrel, I tested velocities to numbers that most wouldn't believe. It's capable of more than folks realize.

I'll add. I talked to some guy that claimed to be "an engineer for Remington " back in those days. He assured me that a model 700 action was god for 200k psi. And I feel confident that we tested them to close to that. However, I wouldn't be comfortable doing that with the newer actions.

I ran a 338 Edge on a Rem 700 utilising a Wyatt's 4" box…have just done the same to a Rem 700 SPS running a 300 RUM, just before I lost all my guns last month.
Anyway, building many of these, I think the standard action mag length of 3.7" is just a little too tight. I ran a 3.850" length box first, this is enough for up to 250g Berger Elites, but if you plan on running even the 285g you will need the 4" box.
If you stick with the 338 RUM, just run with it as is….or get yourself a 3.85" box for extra wiggle room.

Cheers.

My factory barreled 338 RUM outrun both my Lapuas by 75 fps... that's not much and it's due in part to a fast barrel and a wyatts 4.1 mag well. If you don't want to go lapua, I would go rum or edge-simply because I don't see the 300 rum case ever dying. Not sure if the same can be said about the nosler case.

All are good though.

Recent Posts