338 RUM or 33 Nosler

Aka dish soap

And I refuse to waste beer in a batter.
Club soda works great too! Doesn't impart any flavour obviously, lighter coloured batter, but the point of beer batter is the crispiness that comes from the carbonation bubbles creating thousands of tiny voids within the batter as it cooks…so technically anything carbonated can work (though I don't foresee good things with Mountain Dew Monster Energy) 😁

I have a .338 WM, .300 RUM and a ,338 RUM. Love them all, but definitely not practical on a prairie dog shoot. Only draw back with the RUM's is cartridge length and recoil in the .338. It is a light weight rifle and I made and installed a muzzle brake on it. I am going to take a mill to them and install a Wyatt's box and rectify that magazine box situation. I want to build another .338 and am considering the .338 Edge. I have a few hundred rounds of virgin .300 RUM brass. I've only shot one elk with my .300 RUM. I had a small window in thick timber to shoot. I shot it in the spine right behind the shoulder with a 180 grain Partition. It took out a section of vertebrae that you could stick your fist in. I wish that I could have recovered the bullet. I haven't had a chance to use the .338. New Mexico hasn't seen fit to let me draw an elk tag in well over a decade.

Never understood why the 8mm Mag was never loaded to its potential. Maybe bullet performance limitations. 8mm bullet choices are limited and hard to find.

I'll add. I talked to some guy that claimed to be "an engineer for Remington " back in those days. He assured me that a model 700 action was god for 200k psi. And I feel confident that we tested them to close to that. However, I wouldn't be comfortable doing that with the newer actions.
That's cool the only action I know to have been tested to 200k psi and survive was a mark v
That they actually showed the test result for
I'm sure some of the big bore actions are as well also at a much higher weight

Never understood why the 8mm Mag was never loaded to its potential. Maybe bullet performance limitations. 8mm bullet choices are limited and hard to find.
Yepper, BigGreen sabotaged their own creation by loading it with fragile thin jackets that were never intended for thin skinned close range impacts...load the Big8 with a Nosler Partition or Barnes X-bullet and you ready to take on the world...great cartridge never heard of by those under 50 years old..

I'm partial to nosler and think they have the best pound for pound case designs
But since you have a 300 rum already
338 edge may seem pretty economically sound and seems to outperform the nosler by up to 200 fps

Anyone have input on either of these calibers for a Nilgai/Elk Gun?

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
I usw a 338 RUM custom built. I run 225 nisler accubonds shot moose out to 700 yards and dropped them wherw they stood. Sqme with elk and deer. Running 3150 with vihtavouri 560 and cci 250 primers. 338 RUM will do the job.

Well here is my Amswer !!
Easy to load for and components are available!
300 gr berger @ 2884 ft.per.sec
250 gr berger @ 3000 ft.per.sec
More testing to come !
Deadly on Critters !

Rum Man

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-123524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-123524_Gallery.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 88

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
.338x300prc :cool: Check out 33 Newton Buffalo Arms New York

Thanks!
I've been hunting elk with the 300 wby mag for quite a few years and loved it. When I started seeing the specs for loading the 30 nosler I thought I would give it a try. I mean flatter and faster than the Weatherby with less powder. I love how it shoots! I'm shooting the 210gr berger Vld hunters and like them alot. I've kill 2 bull elk with it and they both dropped in their tracks. I've been thinking of going to the elite hunters for the higher bc. I think the 30 nosler might be easier to get brass for still since it's been around a little longer than the 33 but I haven't looked. Good luck!

I see a few comments about brass availability favoring the 338 UM vs Edge. I would totally disagree; Edge is a necked up 300 RUM, and there is no shortage of brass for that.

I might go 33N for my next 33 rebarrel - I have two 28Ns and both are unbelievably accurate. Then again, seems like everything that descends from the 404 Jeffrey is accurate (RUMs, Noslers, Edge).