338 RUM or 33 Nosler

I personally hunt with the 338 RUM with the 210 Swift Scirocco at 3,340fps. I also have a full line of 338 RUM ammo available on my website at www.northamericanammunition.com
210 swift. 250 berger, 250 hornady, 250 accubond, 300 berger.

Working on 300 accubond and 225 ttsx loads.

I have 2 left had Mark V's, 1 in 378, the other in 416. All weatherby's kick ***! With the 378, Bang! Flop! never shot anything with the big 416. Shot a good size black bear with my 458 Lott, DRT! 38" of penetration, barnes x, 3/4" wide expansion

resurrecting this thread, as I have all the parts but my action - mostly because I can't decide which caliber to go with.

Going with a rem varmint steel barrel, 1-9.3 twist.

I have an unknown munitions bottom metal and mag setup that'll allow me to get 3.950" COAL - but don't know if I should go 338 RUM or 338 Norma at this point. I am going to shoot some 300gr berger elites, and probably the 260gr hammer hunter bullets as well.

This rifle will also cross over for some 2,000 yards and in shooting.

Between the 2, any input if I want to run the rounds through the mag?

Rum, and we have have brass......
...that makes the choice very very simple then...you could also look at tge EDGE if you have rum brass...better to shoot than worry about a 100fps..

Anyone have input on either of these calibers for a Nilgai/Elk Gun?

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!
Okay so I like to be different , 375 Ruger necked down to .338 , I hand load anyway so ammo is not a problem . The bolt face is the same as any Win mag , the shell is standard 30.06 length and it performs like a 340 Wby . When chambered in magnum length actions the bullets can be left way forward leaving a lot of room for more powder . I use 340 Wby loading data ! The 285 ELDs are working nicely on paper and I'll change up the bullets when I go into the field . I run a 34" barrel .

Ok so throw out the brass issue cause I've found brass for all 3 - RUM, Edge and Norma…

338 RUM 2851 fps and 338 Edge 3079 fps. Both with 300gr bullets. Brass readily available. Lots of bullets. Shooting 225-250gr bullets. 338 Rum would be the one I choose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
What kind of COAL would you be at the lands with the Edge? I don't want to single feed - and don't have a problem with improving a case either. Can fire form while I'm getting used to the rig

What kind of COAL would you be at the lands with the Edge? I don't want to single feed - and don't have a problem with improving a case either. Can fire form while I'm getting used to the rig
Those are just of the lands at 3.70. Photo of it in a 4 inch box mag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
resurrecting this thread, as I have all the parts but my action - mostly because I can't decide which caliber to go with.

Going with a rem varmint steel barrel, 1-9.3 twist.

I have an unknown munitions bottom metal and mag setup that'll allow me to get 3.950" COAL - but don't know if I should go 338 RUM or 338 Norma at this point. I am going to shoot some 300gr berger elites, and probably the 260gr hammer hunter bullets as well.

This rifle will also cross over for some 2,000 yards and in shooting.

Between the 2, any input if I want to run the rounds through the mag?
if u desire that much range have you thought about the 33 xc?