338 RUM or 33 Nosler

cb4128

Anyone have input on either of these calibers for a Nilgai/Elk Gun?

Would want to stick to 210-250gr bullets max if I went this route. 225gr accubonds, 210gr barnes, 250gr berger elite hunters, etc.

I have a 300 RUM and really enjoy, so don't have any problem going that route - but wondering if the 33 nosler would be easier to top load in a bdl setup or which one would be a better fit.

Thanks!

The 33 nosler with the 250 elite hunters would a be a large game hammer for sure. It's what im planning for my next build. I really like the nosler cartridges. I run my 28 and 26 with a center feed mag box and have never had any issues with feeding.

I do not have a 338 RUM or Nosler.
FWIW, Depending on the rifle, you could open up the mag well for a Wyatt's on the RUM. I did this and load the 245s in it.
Not sure what velocity a 250 out of a 338 RUM gets, but my 245 Berger load in my 300 RUm runs out of steam between 1025 and 1050 yards with a slow start of 2832 FPS. I am sure others can move it faster, but my barrel is slow....

Unless this is more about getting a new one;)

Last edited:
so, I have a full custom 338 rum, with 3.85 mag box. I run 250gr berger OTM tactical from a 28" 9.3 twist at about 3050fps with RL26. Running the numbers, it's a hard combo to beat and straight flattens what ever it hits. Shot a cow elk at 400yds in Nov, flipped over backwards and didn't twitch after hitting the ground. The bullet is seated a bit into the case, but the case has sufficient capacity with the more modern powders to give you awesome performance. My rifle also loads from the top into a staggered feed BDL setup and I have no trouble with loaded or unloaded, even with the full length pic rail blocking the top most part of the port. 338 RUM, It'll do anything you need it to.

33 nosler with 225-265 is a gamer hammer that's fits standard action ect..
Performance is really
Close not gonna lose either way.
338 edge gets a bit more performance but you limited a few less
Brass options factory ammo.
If your
Gonna Reload all ammo you will be happy with all
Of them no doubt.
I've always been a nosler
Fan.
338-378
33 nosler
340 wby in that order

I do not have a 338 RUM or Nosler.
FWIW, Depending on the rifle, you could open up the mag well for a Wyatt's on the RUM. I did this and load the 245s in it.
Not sure what velocity a 250 out of a 338 RUM gets, but my 245 Berger load in my 300 RUm runs out of steam between 1025 and 1050 yards with a slow start of 2832 FPS. I am sure others can move it faster, but my barrel is slow....

Unless this is more about getting a new one;)
you need a new barrel!! ;)