308 win still worth having

Had my 700 bill hicks blued varmit rebarreled yes it's stayed 308, had the smith install custom Chanylann barrel heavier then bull , might be a mtu ss/1/10twist 28 bbl, had him trick it, wow probably never out shot it😳but dats ok ,tried some 125 speer tnt bought them lightly molyed, w-w case max load 748 it croned 3450& it would have won a bench rest match ,oh well I can crow here ,my 150 Sierra bts,out shot, factory 168s federal premiums in my friends new then 40X Remington bench rifle and his bbl was green ,not the color lol, not broken in lol , lately it's feed 155 palma MKs 2960 ish and less then half my pinky nail, and I've not drinking any need mor Kool-aid , ops did I say dat lol .

No, the 308 is not worth having as a long range rifle. Neck it down to a 260 Rem., then you will have a long range rifle worth keeping.
But, to tell you the truth, I have three 308's on the bun rack right now. And I can always get ammo for them,no problem. But they are not really a long range rifle, like some others I could name.

I think I'll watch that 22 ARC for awhile. That might be what I need.
.22 ARC, yep, interesting...But, have you gotten up to speed on the 6mm MAX? If not... give it a look I think you'd like it. I think it's what the .22 Valkerie should have been 6mm Valkyrie. Just thinking out loud, Cheers

For me I was pushing mine I think too hard so I was struggling to find loads but with my last approach with that 212 it's like a full grain under max charge so I think those previous loads need to be tweaked down a bit and they should probably start to shine. I admit I was chasing the velocity thing but yes I will never get rid of my 308 either.

.22 ARC, yep, interesting...But, have you gotten up to speed on the 6mm MAX? If not... give it a look I think you'd like it. I think it's what the .22 Valkerie should have been 6mm Valkyrie. Just thinking out loud, Cheers
I took a look at the 6mm Max and it looks interesting. but I'm already set up for 243 win, I just need a new barrel. I really need to just install a 1-7" twist 5.56 barrel I have sitting on the shelf. Test out some new ideas for seating 75 gr ELDM out of my 5.56 AR

I took a look at the 6mm Max and it looks interesting. but I'm already set up for 243 win, I just need a new barrel. I really need to just install a 1-7" twist 5.56 barrel I have sitting on the shelf. Test out some new ideas for seating 75 gr ELDM out of my 5.56 AR
I understand your dilemma, the 75gr ELDM sounds like a do-able bullet, I'm really big on the 77gr MK in my 1-7 twist, CAR with that said, I going to keep an eye on the 6mm MAX... being a 6mm fan from way back. Good luck... with the 75gr let me know how it works out. Cheers.

No offense ment just wondering what people thought about it with all new calibers out there. I'll always have one and that's my go to caliber for almost all my hunting
If u decided to build a 6.5×47 from one of them the lapua will surprise you. Any of quality powders. 37gr 41gr it shoots same 1/4" or less groups . Lower w/ lighter loads & a higher with hotter loads. Tac driver. No load work up. Berger bullets or sierra & it eats all very accurately. Everything I put in mine does 1 /4" or less. Had a rem 700 in 243 & had a 6.5mm silent barrel 1in 8. A HS percision stock timney trigger , all 14+ yrs ago. Gets their little faster than 308 w/ less wind drift. Don't get me wrong I love all 3 of my 308's & won't part with them. 3 different type of rifles so couldn't pick looser to get ride of.

Recent Posts