308 Win

etisll40

Has anyone used some of the new higher BC 308 bullets, Berger, Lapua, 155 grains?

Also, has anyone used any of the new Lapua brass that used a small primer? I've read you can get more powder in? Possibly a better set up than Large primer?

If using a small primer on a Rem Action, does the firing pin need to be changed?

Thanks

The Palma Match Brass with the small rifle primer works ok in the high desert heat, and with easy to ignite powder charges. In colder weather, and when you greatly exceed about 35gr of powder (especially if it is ball), you can run into ignition problems. I tried some for a friend, and the regular lapua brass with LR primers gave me better ES, and were easier to dial in.

Can't directly say for the new 155's, but some folks on a couple other forums have posted recently with some nice groups clear out to 600 yards for the new Lapua bullets.

Gary

Gary, thank you, I have just started reading about the small primers and new higher bc 308 bullets in 155 grain and wanted people to chime out. The 308 is a real working man's caliber that has great hunting appeal and still lots of competition. Easy to shoot a lot of too. Barrels last pretty well... Any time they improve something about it or offer new things to try is great. I'm glad to see the bullet companies working on stuff. Maybe the powder companies will have some new powders available in the future.

Be safe.

Both the lapua scenars and SMK 155s that you speak of along with small primer yet large flash hole lapua brass is really designed for long barreled 13 twist palma class with powders like benchmark, H4895, and H335. Not really ideal for plincking or hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.