300 win mag vs 308 win

creedmoorshooter21

I am doing some research on my first long range rifle and these are my 2 top of the list calibers because they have readily available ammo (most of the time on the 308) and readily available reloading supplies. My main concern is how the round performs past 1000 yards. I have done research and looked around and from what i can tell they are both great calibers out to 1000 but i haven't found very much about shots past the 1000 yard mark. The longest shot i will take will be maybe a mile because i found a range with a 1 mile target in my area and most of my shooting will be between 700 and 1200 yards. Can someone point me in the right direction of another thread or offer up some advice on which caliber to pick?

The distance you are reaching for you wouldbe best suited going with the 300WM. You will need the speed, and heavy heavy high BC. I love my .308 and the Palma guys can reach out, but it is shedding speed and accuracy at those distances. The 300 is a great round!gun)

At the longer distances when you have to deal with wind issues, the heavier bullets and velocity of the 300wm will shine. Yes, the 300 has more recoil (get a good brake) cost a little more to feed but it will be worth it.

Thank you to both of you guys. The info given has basically made up my kind. I was thinking about getting a muzzle brake for my gun no matter what so that's no problem. Any suggestion on a brake?

I won the lottery today or finally found an 8-lb jug of H1000. I will get out and try it this weekend hopefully.
I have just been buying 1 pound containers. Here in central Ohio H1000 generally stays in stock but only in 1 pound cans. It boggles the mine that a slow burning powder for use in magnum cartridges using 80-100 grains of powder at a shot. gun)

I can't seem to find any of the powders that I need right now.... It's getting stupid how many people are panic buying all this crap that they'll never use.

I can't seem to find any of the powders that I need right now.... It's getting stupid how many people are panic buying all this crap that they'll never use.
We can just hope for all the WTS adds later on. I dont understand the run on 22 ammo. Truth be told though I worry what will happen if the ban doesn't pass and the dems decide to just tax the **** out of ammo and powder. We shall see the next couple years will be lean ones for us shooters.

I worry they will tax the **** out of it weather or not they pass the ban or the registration scam. When someone tells you to watch the right hand: Take a big step backwards and focus on the center of mass so your peripheral vision can detect what is coming and from where.
That big right hand is the least of the concerns.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.