308 Win loads

Tank56

About 8 months ago i got a Remington 700 VS in 308 Win. I've been shooting regular remington express core lokt 150gr factory loads and i wanted to see if i can get a little more accuracy out of it. I wanted to try Sierra matchking 168gr i was wondering what type of powder i should try and how many grains i should use. Its a stock 700 VS with a 26" barrel with 12" twist rate. Also what other 168gr match bullets shoot well? Types of powder and amount primers brass ect. i should use. Thank you for any help.

[ 09-21-2004: Message edited by: Tank56 ]

Thank you very much for the info. Now that i know that 168's won't shoot well i'll try the 155's. thanks again

Tank, I'd give the 168's a try with 42.3 or so of IMR 4064 if you have any. This is around the Sierra accuracy load and in my VSSF it's totaly awesome. I load to 2.815 COL, and Lapua brass and Fed 210Ms. Varget and the 155's also shoots well for me in this rifle, 45 grains and the same approximate length. 16X Leupold Mark 4 and a Jewel trigger make it happen.

TANK
I also shoot a Remington VS in .308.Unfortunately i have never got any of the 168 match bullets to perform to my expectations.I am sure this is because i have yet to find the correct recipe as the 1:12 rifle twist is well suited to this bullet weight.
If it helps, my rifle loves the following.
LAPUA CASE.
LAPUA 155 SCENAR SILVER JACKET BULLET.
46.0 GRAINS-VIT,N-150.
FED 210M PRIMER.
I seat the bullet 5 thou` off the rifling.
This round is too long for my magazine so is strictly a single feed job.
If i do my bit this will consistently shoot 5 shot sub half inch groups.
I have yet to try it,but am reliably informed that the Lapua match bullets perform superbly on game.
Hope this helps.
BRIT.

TALLY HO.

tank 56

ditch the 168's and go for 175 smk's or 190smk's. your 1 in 12 will stabilise them no worries.

175's are what i'd go for. higher b.c's etc. etc.

derek

the 1-12 twist will stablize the 168 or the 175 typically it stablizes the 168 a tad better... there are 2 very good bullets that I have killed deer with from in the 168 family..

the nosler J4 Competition bullets in 168 gr. and the sierra 168 SMK.

I currently have an 11 twist barrel that shoots groups with the 175 SMK that would make any rifleman cry tears of joy!

try VARGET I have had several 308's and they all shot varget and the 168's into tiny groups! I have found that 40 - 45 grs works well.. but load light and ease your way up!
Use the Fed 210M or the WLR primer. I have had better results with the WLR primer.

Varget has worked very well for me. If you look at the VarGet bottle, they recommend 46 grains with a Fed 210M primer and a Sierra 168 gr BTHP.

This exact load shoots in the .2's out of my Rock barrel

45 Grains of Varget with the 168 gr Barnes X Triple shock BTHP shoots in the .3's

44 grains with the 165 gr Barnes X bullets shoots in the .4's and .5's.

Great powder for .308's IMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.