.308 win

bkite2186

I'm about to purchase a sako 75ss in .308 win and i would like to know what is the most intelligent buy in factory ammo for game the size of... hmmm... say a deer.
Any info is greatly appreciated and i would also like some info on some good factory match ammo.

bkite,
Unfortunately your rifle makes that decision, we have all got favorites based on range and hunting performance but there is no way to determine how that brand might shoot in your rifle. Bottom line is that most ammo loaded today is very good. One suggestion is Winchester Supreme, seems to shoot very well every time I use it. You might be wise to try several boxes of different brands and shoot them on the range - 165 grain bullets are excellent in the .308 and there are some dandies being loaded by the factories. The hot bullets these days are bonded plastic-tipped boat-tails such as the Swift Scirocco (from Remington), Hornady's Interbond available in their Light Magnum loads and Nosler's Accubond which is being loaded by Winchester and also Federal I believe.
Good luck with your shooting, you have selected one of the nicest rifles available today - I am confident that you will be saticefied with the Sako 75.
You next decision is mounts and optics - I like the Warne mounts made for Sako's over their mounts. If you want to shoot fairly long with that rifle your considerations are a rangefinder reticle or really good turrets (or both). Lots of great choices, spend some money on your scope and you will never regret it.

My input--good old cheap winchester 150 or 165 power points---great bullet--usually very good shooters---AND VERY ECONOMICAL!!
Either will put deer down perfectly.

bkite

What ranges do you intend on shooting. If the ranges are short it will be less critical on how they group. If you are going to stretch out the range or shoot smaller targets then the "best" load is more critical.

If you are shooting deer at <100 yards then Fed power points at the way to go BUT save your brass. Reloading is in your future.

i'd get a set of sako stainless mounts to go on your new toy. their opti-lock mounts are the best!

i have 3 of these rifles and they are all accurate tools.

My personal choice is the 165 grain weight bullet and usually the Ballistic Tip as it isn't really driven fast enough to "blow-up" even whe shots are at near point blank (under 20 yards) ranges. And the overall accuracy and consistancy of this bullet has worked very well for me and the bride's H&K applications! I have had good angular penetration on several large bodied deer at ranges to 250 yards. Penetration can be measured in feet rather than inches, and blood trails do help at times. IMHO that's it!
wink.gif

For factory match ammo try the Black Hills match, or the Federal Gold Medal match, they both use the Sierra 168 gr matchking. My 10FP likes the Black Hills better. For hunting ammo Ian M. mentioned the Winchester Supreme, I agree, it is very good. I have gotten some .5" groups with the 168 gr ballistic silvertip loads, although they print about 1" lower than the Black Hills 168 gr. You will have to experiment and shoot some different offerings to find out what works best in your rifle.

huntin1

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.