Are clamp-on muzzle breaks worth having?

The above account shows that when we modify our firearms things can go wrong. I am so glad that nothing worse happened.

I have used the QUE BOSS style non-threaded installation muzzle brake and the Volquartsen clamp on for 22LR.

I considered others.

The QUE has never budged and never caused a problem. It fixed what it was intended to fix. 223 and 300WSM.

My Volquartsen never budged but one of my shooting buddies did. I found it down range. He had altered it from the manufacturers specifications. Once restored to "as designed and intended" he had no additional problems and it performed as intended.

Things that go wrong can be traced to the design, installation or maintenance.

Many of you know these things but I assume not all so...

• Clamping force and resistance to being dislodged under the force of the braking action.
  • Alignment to the barrel/concentricity.
  • Projectile clearance.

If any one of these is goes wrong you have the potential for a dangerous situation.

Other than just flat being blown off the barrel because of weak clamping, everything else is a clearance issue.

Clearance of the projectile affects the effectiveness of the brake. The tighter the better the brake will work, however chances in concentricity become more critical.

Alignment to the barrel can be from the manufacturing process not matching the barrel profile properly, poor barrel concentricity, installation problems such as debris under the clamp, poor concentricity in the manufacturing process or many other challenges. If combined with a tighter than ... clearance, problems could arise.

Another issue with clamp on brakes is of course stability during transport. bumping and bouncing at the end of a long fulcrum (the rest of the gun) puts a great deal of lateral force on the brake. If dislodged in this way, really bad things could happen.

I am sure that lots of clamp on and similar non-thread brakes are out there, I also believe that many problems are not reported. The ones without problems never get any comments.

IMHO The concept is not inherently bad. Execution is always the challenge both for the designer/manufacturer and the user.

I no longer have any interest in using clamp ons but YMMV

I see some manufacturers offer clamp- on muzzle breaks. Seems like it would be easy to blow them off or scratch a barrel. Am I right or wrong? Seems those are more expensive than thread-ons but the nice part would be I could take it off for hunting since I don't hunt with hearing protection regularly. Anyone have any experiences and/or advice?

My advise to anyone thinking of purchasing a Bolt on Muzzle Brake is to stay away I'm lucky to by here to tell my story to you. I just recently purchased a Bolt on muzzle Brake from a leading seller _ _ _ _ machine I was told by not to use there name but let me tell my story. I purchased the bolt on muzzle brake for my marlin Bolt action stainless 270 and mounted the bolt on muzzle brake two days later I went to me local gun range to try out the new bolt on muzzle brake as some as I pulled the gun out the reaction from people was not good one guy told his shooting partner to get all there guns back that's a bolt on and there a piece of **** get back he said its going to blow off. I'm thinking to myself what have I purchased its not get good reviews here. I told the guy shoot next to me on the other side to get back. thinking what could happen I've seen people on YouTube using them so I set up for my first shoot and held on and fired off the first round the shoot was way high and to the right the guy to the left said dam did you see the blast out of that its a good thing we moved are guns I set up for the next shoot a pulled off the second round off it kick hard and I here "there it goes" I told you it would blow off it landed about 18 yards out. It scratched the end of my barrel pretty good the range master came over to see what all the excitement was all about. I'm so lucky the gun barrel didn't blow up in my face or blow up and kill one of the other shooter. i say Stay away from Bolt on Muzzle Brakes its not worth you life!!!

I see some manufacturers offer clamp- on muzzle breaks. Seems like it would be easy to blow them off or scratch a barrel. Am I right or wrong? Seems those are more expensive than thread-ons but the nice part would be I could take it off for hunting since I don't hunt with hearing protection regularly. Anyone have any experiences and/or advice?
My advise to anyone thinking of purchasing a Bolt on Muzzle Brake is to stay away I'm lucky to by here to tell my story to you. I just recently purchased a Bolt on muzzle Brake from a leading seller _ _ _ _ machine I was told by not to use there name but let me tell my story. I purchased the bolt on muzzle brake for my marlin Bolt action stainless 270 and mounted the bolt on muzzle brake two days later I went to me local gun range to try out the new bolt on muzzle brake as some as I pulled the gun out the reaction from people was not good one guy told his shooting partner to get all there guns back that's a bolt on and there a piece of **** get back he said its going to blow off. I'm thinking to myself what have I purchased its not get good reviews here. I told the guy shoot next to me on the other side to get back. thinking what could happen I've seen people on YouTube using them so I set up for my first shoot and held on and fired off the first round the shoot was way high and to the right the guy to the left said dam did you see the blast out of that its a good thing we moved are guns I set up for the next shoot a pulled off the second round off it kick hard and I here "there it goes" I told you it would blow off it landed about 18 yards out. It scratched the end of my barrel pretty good the range master came over to see what all the excitement was all about. I'm so lucky the gun barrel didn't blow up in my face or blow up and kill one of the other shooter. i say Stay away from Bolt on Muzzle Brakes its not worth you life!!!

lightbulbMy advise to anyone thinking of purchasing a Bolt on Muzzle Brake is to stay away I'm lucky to by here to tell my story to you. I just recently purchased a Bolt on muzzle Brake from a leading seller _ _ _ _ machine I was told by not to use there name but let me tell my story. I purchased the bolt on muzzle brake for my marlin Bolt action stainless 270 and mounted the bolt on muzzle brake two days later I went to me local gun range to try out the new bolt on muzzle brake as some as I pulled the gun out the reaction from people was not good one guy told his shooting partner to get all there guns back that's a bolt on and there a piece of **** get back he said its going to blow off. I'm thinking to myself what have I purchased its not get good reviews here. I told the guy shoot next to me on the other side to get back. thinking what could happen I've seen people on YouTube using them so I set up for my first shoot and held on and fired off the first round the shoot was way high and to the right the guy to the left said dam did you see the blast out of that its a good thing we moved are guns I set up for the next shoot a pulled off the second round off it kick hard and I here "there it goes" I told you it would blow off it landed about 18 yards out. It scratched the end of my barrel pretty good the range master came over to see what all the excitement was all about. I'm so lucky the gun barrel didn't blow up in my face or blow up and kill one of the other shooter. i say Stay away from Bolt on Muzzle Brakes its not worth you life!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.