308 win still worth having

Like post #150, I just bought a new to me 308 today, have to wait till the police sort out my paperwork to bring it home though. Browning blr 81 lightweight, part of an estate sale at the LGS, ticket tabs show it started off at £700, £600, £450, £350 and I got it for £275.
The old boy that bought it new shot less than 200 rounds through it, the shop owner fired a box and it looks good, can't wait to get my paws on it.
It has a *** scope on it and I've got to get one with an illuminated reticle and low magnification, I'm having a hunt in croatia for driven boar so I'll have to buy a spare mag for it, there's a 10 round metal on that's a few euros more than the standard browning one so I'll get that.

I shot High Power Silhouette for years with a 308, never had a target not fall when it was hit. Even it a couple in the leg that went down.

Along comes the 7/08, with all the hype, I barreled one up. Had 3 rams at two different matches at 500 meters just quiver when hit. Yup, pulled the barrel and put the proven 308 barrel back on and never looked back. I've hated the 7/08 ever since. Not saying its bad, just hard to improve on the 308. JMHO

I love playing with new cartridges and wildcats, have a few. These new cartridges and wildcats are tricky and challenging, the 308 is one of the easiest rounds to make shoot. It takes allot match the performance of a 308. My safe will always have at least one 308 in it.

This buck was taken in Montana with a XP-100 chambered in 308. Think I was shooting Hornady 165s, not sure now.
The buck was taken on my last hunt with my father 😢 Dad is on my right, his hunting partner and my old Scout Master, Paul Bass, on my left.
Mr. Bass is the one that pinned my Eagle Scout Medal on me in 1967. Miss those old men, they were a cut above! Like everyone that has lost a father, I would give anything to have one more hunt with him.

Think I'm going to start a thread about hunting with our fathers, should be some great stories.
I shot High Power Silhouette for years with a 308, never had a target not fall when it was hit. Even it a couple in the leg that went down.

Along comes the 7/08, with all the hype, I barreled one up. Had 3 rams at two different matches at 500 meters just quiver when hit. Yup, pulled the barrel and put the proven 308 barrel back on and never looked back. I've hated the 7/08 ever since. Not saying its bad, just hard to improve on the 308. JMHO

I love playing with new cartridges and wildcats, have a few. These new cartridges and wildcats are tricky and challenging, the 308 is one of the easiest rounds to make shoot. It takes allot match the performance of a 308. My safe will always have at least one 308 in it.

This buck was taken in Montana with a XP-100 chambered in 308. Think I was shooting Hornady 165s, not sure now.
The buck was taken on my last hunt with my father 😢 Dad is on my right, his hunting partner and my old Scout Master, Paul Bass, on my left.
Mr. Bass is the one that pinned my Eagle Scout Medal on me in 1967. Miss those old men, they were a cut above! Like everyone that has lost a father, I would give anything to have one more hunt with him.

Think I'm going to start a thread about hunting with our fathers, should be some great stories.
Wait....a minute.... they weren't wearing head to toe camo!!! Where are the ghillie suits! How did they ever kill an animal without camo! :) Great story! Great photos! thanks for Sharing!

Last edited:
Here is my take. I have a 26 inch Howa that I was having a hard time with getting to shoot he way I wanted. I later on a just a fun thought loaded some 212 ELDX to see what it would do. Right away first thoughts, heavy to much bullet in small case should be really slow. At 41 grains of accurate, RP brass sized and annealed, all load prep, cci br2, I got 2470fps and sub MOA groups that held sun MOA past 600 yards. Running the numbers and shooting down to 1600fps it's a very effective deer load at much distance when shooting/hunting at 5000ft elevation. Now where I currently live at 2700ft elevation for prescribed 1600fps I get 850 yards for max range 1205 ft/lbs of energy. Still effective for a long range shot for me.

Although I am a .270 guy for whitetail deer, a short, barreled rifle, say 20 to 22 inches, with a really good action, and a crisp trigger, chambered in 308 would make Super White Tail Deer and black bear rifle. At modest ranges, with the right bullets, and good optics, would be deadly in the hands of a shooter who took the time to practice with it. At the range, I have seen IMPRESSIVE 100-yard groups, when the shooter was using Federal Premium Ammo, with a 165 Grn Bullet. My Savage 110 Factory Medium / Heavy barrel in 308 also groups pretty good with Berger 115 grn .target bullets. 308 ,A Nice all around sporting cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 26
Hello all like the title says is the 308 win still worth having for long range hunting I my self do not hear anyone using one any more.i have two as of right now one with 20 inch barrel and one with 24 inch barrel.ive been kicking the idea a round of rebarreling one to 6.5x47 but just can't seem to talk my self into it yet.but anyways with all the calibers out now adays and all the different bullets with high bc and all there's not alot of talk about 308 anymore.but for some reason I just keep on loving that old caliber for some reason I guess mostly to it being the first caliber I reloaded for and the first rifle I ever bought new was chamber in it as well and I've hunted and taken alot of deer with it as well..if any of yall are still a firm believer in the 308 and still hunt long range with it.what are some of yalls rifle set ups and what is your longest shots harvesting an animal? And maybe what your load was...I'm really thanking about building a semi custom out of my remington 700 with a 22 or 26 inch barrel but I'm not sure what the optimal barrel length is on 308 for bullets from 152s to 185s so any info on that would be appreciated as well.thanks in advance
No, the 308 is not worth having as a long range rifle. Neck it down to a 260 Rem., then you will have a long range rifle worth keeping.

No, the 308 is not worth having as a long range rifle. Neck it down to a 260 Rem., then you will have a long range rifle worth keeping.
Except when you use the right bullet, like a Badlands 150 BD2. The effective range with the right projectile takes it out to 800 yards with plenty of velocity and energy for hunting. I think that holds it right there with a 260 Remington but I don't own a 260 Remmy. My father took a Coues buck at 691 yards with his 308 and I think that makes it worth having.

Last edited: