308 win still worth having

Love it!
How many sub $1000 factory rifles can do this?
Don't know. This one is built by Jarrett Rifles.
IMG_9240.jpeg

I've never regretted keeping a rifle! I have regretted selling them…. 😁
Never sold a rifle. Sold two handguns I regret selling. My biggest regrets are not buying certain fire arms around 1986, before their importation stopped. $600 for H&K 91, $290 for Yougoslavian AK with 7 mags in original package.

Last edited:
Never sold a rifle. Sold two handguns I regret selling. My biggest regrets are not buying certain fire arms around 1986, before their importation stopped. $600 for H&K 91, $290 for Yougoslavian AK with 7 mags in original package.
I hear ya. When I was a college kid the SVT-40 could be had here in Canada for CHEAP compared to the USA. I don't remember exactly why they were so expensive down there but it had something to do with different import laws concerning former com-bloc guns and ammo.

Same with dirt cheap 7.62x54R surplus ammo

I don't know why but that rifle always seemed very cool to me, interesting piece of history, and pretty dang impressive capability. Some have called it "the Russian Garand".

Shoulda when I coulda!

I've owned lots of rifles over the years but I keep coming back to the 308, it's old and boring but does just about everything well. Accurate, easy to shoot, feed reliably, powerful enough, ammo available and affordable (almost anywhere in the world where ammo is sold) and can use 7.62x51 if the world goes sideways. Plus, it excels with short barrels and suppressers, the primary reason I build one last year.

I bought a New Weatherby with grade A wood in .308 last year. its like my lighter recoil 30-06. I have a couple of them, a 300WSM a 6.5 PRC. But everybody should have a .308
The 20" barrel 308 is as close to a perfect hunting rifle as you can get. Easy to reload with high quality components and to get 3000+ fps with a 150 gr bullet. Amazing what that gun can do in a really portable compact package.

I shot High Power Silhouette for years with a 308, never had a target not fall when it was hit. Even it a couple in the leg that went down.

Along comes the 7/08, with all the hype, I barreled one up. Had 3 rams at two different matches at 500 meters just quiver when hit. Yup, pulled the barrel and put the proven 308 barrel back on and never looked back. I've hated the 7/08 ever since. Not saying its bad, just hard to improve on the 308. JMHO

I love playing with new cartridges and wildcats, have a few. These new cartridges and wildcats are tricky and challenging, the 308 is one of the easiest rounds to make shoot. It takes allot match the performance of a 308. My safe will always have at least one 308 in it.

This buck was taken in Montana with a XP-100 chambered in 308. Think I was shooting Hornady 165s, not sure now.
The buck was taken on my last hunt with my father 😢 Dad is on my right, his hunting partner and my old Scout Master, Paul Bass, on my left.
Mr. Bass is the one that pinned my Eagle Scout Medal on me in 1967. Miss those old men, they were a cut above! Like everyone that has lost a father, I would give anything to have one more hunt with him.

Think I'm going to start a thread about hunting with our fathers, should be some great stories.

Attachments

• Montana94.jpg
    Montana94.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3deer.JPG
    3deer.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm pretty well supplied for a 308 Win after owning one for thirty some odd years. It's a tool and widely available. However I've been eyeballing a 7-08 for awhile and have been having fun with my 260 AI.

I just started reloading and found the right round for my 700 308. After dialing it in I had my CDS on my Leupold scope cut, I tested it out to 550 yards on steel. The thing was dead on from 200 to 550. I will never part ways with this 308. Taking it on a mule deer hunt next week and we will see how it does.

Recent Posts