300 WSM Long Action Build - Input Welcomed

Well, got out today. Did some testing with Berger 215 Hybrids and RL26.
Real good velocity ith accuracy. I think I found what my rifle likes for this combo. Velocity is 3000fps at the muzzle. And she is shooting 1/4moa out to 700 yards today.

Brian

I love the Manners stock. The adjustable check rest is super nice. My next stock would be the EH-1 lightweight stock. My next rifle will definitely have a weight limit. But without a doubt, I will buy another Manners.

Compares to maybe a .270 pushing a 130gn in my 8lb rifle. My 14 year old grandson loves it.

I was a little disappointed in the Manners chassis. The hole spacing was too close together on the action screws to get them in. I had to open up the rear screw hole. It wasn't the action as a Remington had the same problem and hole spacing was the same between the Pierce and Remington. For the extra 150.00 I would of expect the chassis to be dead on. I think I would save the money for a good bedding job.

A .270 with 130's is only 60% of the bullet weight and the BC is, at best, in the .400's versus almost .700 (.691) for the 300sm. At short range the trajectory might be similar but at long range there is no comparison.

IdahoCTD put his 4port muzzlebreak on for me Saturday. This thing had some real recoil befor the break. With the break installed. I would say over 60% recoil reduction. It took the rifle from a mean beast to a little puppy dog. I love your work sir. My hats of to you.

Brian

My buddy gets ~2930 with the Berger 230 out of his WSM with RL-33, they are seated long so he has to single feed in his SA. It got me thinking I want to build a WSM.

Real good velocity ith accuracy. I think I found what my rifle likes for this combo. Velocity is 3000fps at the muzzle. And she is shooting 1/4moa out to 700 yards today.

Brian

Brian,
Would you mind sharing the oal of your load with the 215 bergers. Also is your rifle a single shot with this load or can you put them in the mag. thank you

The round I measured that Brian gave me to measure when I installed his brake was 3.158" OAL He said it was .007" off the rifling. It's on a long action so he has plenty of mag length

Brian

Brian, that's awesome! Any pressure signs at that velocity?

A .270 with 130's is only 60% of the bullet weight and the BC is, at best, in the .400's versus almost .700 (.691) for the 300sm. At short range the trajectory might be similar but at long range there is no comparison.

IdahoCTD, I think CJ may have been referring to what the felt recoil of his rifle was like not the actual ballistics as I had asked him how the recoil was on his build.

Getting pressure signs when I get the velocity past 3100fps.
The rifle is a joy to shoot with Nate's break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Forgive me if I sound stupid. If the build is for long range plate whacking and paper punching, why are you thinking a repeater.
My 300 WSM is on a single shot 40x action all 40xs are on short actions, it was originally a 7mag,which is too long to eject.first40x I owned I asked why, the answer I got was they are made to shoot not to unload.
I shoot a lot of single shot rifles. All of my repeaters varmint and PD guns all have single shot followers in them. Because I seat out farther than mag. length.
Just my opinion.

300wsm= Krieger barrel 28in.
Holland brake
Chambered by Holland
Rem. Varmint contour.
Have 2 chronograph haven't been out of the box in 7years
If it shoots well and hits low a couple of more clicks on the scope

The round I measured that Brian gave me to measure when I installed his brake was 3.158" OAL He said it was .007" off the rifling. It's on a long action so he has plenty of mag length

Idaho,
Thanks for answering my question. Was asking because I recently purchased a 300 wsm that had the load development done for the 215 berger and the oal they gave me was 2.875 with 65 grains of h4831. Sure seems like that bullet is seated way down in there. This is my first experience with the berger bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts