300 WSM Long Action Build - Input Welcomed

JW74

I am starting to put my ideas together for my next long range rifle build. This will be primarily for steel and paper. I wanted to get people's thoughts and advice as I start to go ahead with my ideas. Currently I have been shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester. Both are great rifles and shoot as well and better than I do. Out here in Colorado I want to take advantage of the altitude and step up into the heavier 200+ grain bullets of the 30 cal family. I have shot the 300 win mag, 338 Lapua and both are great but the 338 Lapua wears me out after a while.

For my build I am planning on going with the 300 WSM built on a long action so that I can shoot the heavier Berger bullets. I have heard a lot of great things about the accuracy of the WSM and wanted to build one for the heck of it. My other two rifles have a B&C tactical stock, and HS Precision stock so for this rifle I am going to step up to a McMillan A-5 as that has always been on the bucket list. I plan to go with a DBM and center feed ACIS mag or something compatible. Not sure on my barrel yet but would like to go 26" with 5R rifling. For a muzzle brake I was thinking of going with the Fat Bastard. What would people recommend for an action? I am going with a Remington 700 style and also which barrel manufacturer would you all recommend? I have also been speaking with BrentC from here on the board and he has had a lot of great info in terms of loads for the 300 WSM. Thanks for any input and advice as it is greatly appreciated!

I'd build a 300 Win Mag instead. The 300 Win Mag has many advantages over the shorter fatter 300 WSM. Shooting heavier longer bullets is one of them.

I just finished a 300 wsm build on a LA. Here are the build part.
Pierce SS long action
Schneider #4 fluted, 27 1/2" length, 1-9 twist, 5P
Manner EH2 with mini chassi
Wyatt's center feed box and Rem.700 bdl bottom metal
Jewell trigger with safety
Throated for the new ELD-X 212 and Berger 215 Hybrids

The feeding is Awsome, no hang ups at all. The rifle shoots like a dream

You will love a 300 wsm built on a long action

Brian

I just finished a 300 wsm build on a LA. Here are the build part.
Pierce SS long action
Schneider #4 fluted, 27 1/2" length, 1-9 twist, 5P
Manner EH2 with mini chassi
Wyatt's center feed box and Rem.700 bdl bottom metal
Jewell trigger with safety
Throated for the new ELD-X 212 and Berger 215 Hybrids

The feeding is Awsome, no hang ups at all. The rifle shoots like a dream

You will love a 300 wsm built on a long action

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the build specs, your rifle sounds awesome! I am relieved to hear that you aren't having any feeding issues with the long action. Do you find that the rounds slide forward at all in the magazine due to recoil? How much longer is the throat on your rifle compared to that of a standard 300 WSM?

Also thank you to the others for their thoughts as well. I should sate that I am not against the 300 win mag at all. Mostly I wanted to try something a little different and after a lot of reading about the accuracy tendencies of the shorter, wider case of the 300 WSM I thought why not! This round seems to be very popular with the long range bench rest crowd these days. I figure if feeding issues aren't a problem in a long action then the 215 and 230 Bergers would be a great combo.

I'd build a 300 Win Mag instead. The 300 Win Mag has many advantages over the shorter fatter 300 WSM. Shooting heavier longer bullets is one of them.

I've also found that to be the case. I just built two 300WSMs (mainly because I already have a 300WSM reamer) and neither will give me the speed with the 208gr A-Max that approaches the 300 WM velicities. They both shine with 150s, 168s and 180s though!

tbrice23 said:
And you won't have to beg for wsm brass.

No sh!t! I'm getting tired of bidding for 300WSM brass on GunBroker.com

Shots 17-20.
Berger 215 Hybrids
H4831sc. 65.5 No pressure at this point
Fed210m
Norma 300wsm brass 1st firing
2840 at the muzzle

First shot hit high at 11 o'clock. Had bore oil in barrel. Then a 3 shot group
Not a bad start

Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 525
Shots 17-20.
Berger 215 Hybrids
H4831sc. 65.5 No pressure at this point
Fed210m
Norma 300wsm brass 1st firing
2840 at the muzzle

First shot hit high at 11 o'clock. Had bore oil in barrel. Then a 3 shot group
Not a bad start

Brian

That's a fine shooting rifle! Also, great velocity with the 215's.

You gotta love that kind of load development. Now you need to see if you can hit the next node without ruining cases.

I built the rifle for Brian. I knew it would shoot like that :cool: :D. It's throated for 215's at 3.2" OAL so it should get some good velocity.

Well done sir! Do you have any advice or recommendations for my build? Things you would recommend or avoid?

I built the rifle for Brian. I knew it would shoot like that :cool: :D. It's throated for 215's at 3.2" OAL so it should get some good velocity.

If they are both throated long the Win mag should only be about 50fps faster but the benchrest guys swear by the 300wsm. So as I see it you'd have better accuracy, about 13% less recoil, and non-belted brass that usually last quite a bit longer with the 300wsm. The down side to the 300wsm is brass availability and cost. You can buy loaded ammo for the brass though and the longer brass life outweighs the cost. The good thing about the 300wm is the additional velocity and brass availability (but it isn't always available either).

I'm going to try both with bore rider throats to see how they compare. I have two different 26" barrels to compare the. I might also do a velocity test by chambering both ends of the same barrel for each caliber. The velocity test barrel will be a cheap non lapped barrel so it doesn't have "choke" lapped into it but it will work for testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.