300 WSM Long Action Build - Input Welcomed

Mine runs 2960fps with 69grs of R-26 and 215's in a 26" barrel. OAL is just under 3.2". I have several cases with 6 reloads on them now. I built my hunting partner a 300wm and we shoot the same velocity. He is shooting 77grs of H-1000.

I settled on 65.4 grains of IMR 7228 SSC behind a 230gr Berger Hybrid. Velocity is ~2745fps. Accuracy is 1/4 MOA and have taken this out to 1840 yards!

I have been underwhelmed with the 300 wsm for hunting. In Benchrest its great. Most run the 210 or 215 at 2850-2930 in a 30" barrel. The ones I have done on 24-26" struggle to get much past 2800. I had a 26" Krieger that would not even hit 2800. I do not like to use the temp sensitive double based powders in hunting rifles like rl 17 or 26. Now that 23 is out, it may work well. I consider the wsm to be a great case for hunting but, with the 180-190 class. As far as accuracy goes, you will not be able to extract the same accuracy out of a hunting rifle as you can with a Benchrest rifle. I am saying you will not get your wsm to group better than a win mag in a hunting rifle just because it has more inherent accuracy. If you really want a wsm, build it on a Broughton, they are the fastest.

@Alex Wheeler is dead on in the velocity range of the ~200+ pills. I built one with a sendero weight 28" barrel. It mirrors what Alex said. It can be used for hunting, it can be used for target/steel. It is not a match rifle.

Does anyone use AICS mags? Or is it Wyatt's the only ones that work?

Right now I'm looking at using a Sendero as my base platform and putting a Remage barrel on it (x-caliber, McGowen, or similar). I can get a deal on HS Precision bottom metal but I want to make sure I can find mags that will fit.

My other thought is that a Savage 110 as the base could save me some money.

I'd love to hear experience, particularly with mags.

Does anyone use AICS mags? Or is it Wyatt's the only ones that work?

Right now I'm looking at using a Sendero as my base platform and putting a Remage barrel on it (x-caliber, McGowen, or similar). I can get a deal on HS Precision bottom metal but I want to make sure I can find mags that will fit.

My other thought is that a Savage 110 as the base could save me some money.

I'd love to hear experience, particularly with mags.

The WSM will feed from a standard 300 WM AI magazine. I successfully used one for my long action 7mm WSM, which was also a Savage.

Do they work or do they work well? I'm somewhat planning the build around feeding and need reassurance!

It feeds just as well as any LA cartridge from an AI mag. I had no issues with it in my Savage. I'm now using the same equipment to feed a 7mm/300 on the same action. Not sure if this answers your question or not.

If they are both throated long the Win mag should only be about 50fps faster but the benchrest guys swear by the 300wsm. So as I see it you'd have better accuracy, about 13% less recoil, and non-belted brass that usually last quite a bit longer with the 300wsm. The down side to the 300wsm is brass availability and cost. You can buy loaded ammo for the brass though and the longer brass life outweighs the cost. The good thing about the 300wm is the additional velocity and brass availability (but it isn't always available either).

I'm going to try both with bore rider throats to see how they compare. I have two different 26" barrels to compare the. I might also do a velocity test by chambering both ends of the same barrel for each caliber. The velocity test barrel will be a cheap non lapped barrel so it doesn't have "choke" lapped into it but it will work for
I am starting to put my ideas together for my next long range rifle build. This will be primarily for steel and paper. I wanted to get people's thoughts and advice as I start to go ahead with my ideas. Currently I have been shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester. Both are great rifles and shoot as well and better than I do. Out here in Colorado I want to take advantage of the altitude and step up into the heavier 200+ grain bullets of the 30 cal family. I have shot the 300 win mag, 338 Lapua and both are great but the 338 Lapua wears me out after a while.

For my build I am planning on going with the 300 WSM built on a long action so that I can shoot the heavier Berger bullets. I have heard a lot of great things about the accuracy of the WSM and wanted to build one for the heck of it. My other two rifles have a B&C tactical stock, and HS Precision stock so for this rifle I am going to step up to a McMillan A-5 as that has always been on the bucket list. I plan to go with a DBM and center feed ACIS mag or something compatible. Not sure on my barrel yet but would like to go 26" with 5R rifling. For a muzzle brake I was thinking of going with the Fat Bastard. What would people recommend for an action? I am going with a Remington 700 style and also which barrel manufacturer would you all recommend? I have also been speaking with BrentC from here on the board and he has had a lot of great info in terms of loads for the 300 WSM. Thanks for any input and advice as it is greatly appreciated!
Sounds like a good idea. I have a 300 wsm that Wayne built me at Oregunsmithing that shoots lights out. Also have a 300 win mag I built that shoots lights out! Velocity difference is minor up to 180 grain bullets, then up to the shooter if it matters up to 240 groaners. To me personally it don't matter much if I need velocity at 240grains I'll carry my 338 edge and toss 250 grains at 3100 fps. I'd do what you want and enjoy the fact it is your idea and your project! I personally like the win mag better for no reason at all, but like the action on the wsm better as I used a Montana 99. Someone by the way tell Montana Rifle Co to begin producing at least actions again!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.