300 WSM Long Action Build - Input Welcomed

Fantastic thread !

The timing could not be more perfect, I am also on the long anction 300 WSM kick and have two Tikka T3's I'm going to turn to the dark side ! I made a cutaway case not too long ago and modeled some bullets to determine the optimum seating depth I would use, turns out my independent findings were so **** close to what the comp guys were using for a long throat..... basically very close to the common and popular .280" throat that is used for the 230 Berger Hybrids, I figured to just run with the .280 as data already exists and it has been super accurate.......

Attachments

• 300 WSM - Hornady-1.jpg
    300 WSM - Hornady-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 300 WSM - Berger-1.jpg
    300 WSM - Berger-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 300 WSM - Nosler-1.jpg
    300 WSM - Nosler-1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 645
  • 300 WSM - Chinchaga Swift Sierra-1.jpg
    300 WSM - Chinchaga Swift Sierra-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 300 WSM - Barnes-1.jpg
    300 WSM - Barnes-1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 653
My coal is 3.166 with Norma brass and Berger 215 Hybrids

This is the new 300 WSM on a long action.

Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 367
Looks awesome !
I'm also going with a Manners stock, the EH for the Tikka T3, barrel is a 26" #4 contour Bartlein 5r in 9 twist....... what is your load data so far with the RL 26 ? I've got a bunch of it to burn

I now have the ball rolling on my build! I ordered my stock and barrel. I went with an adjustable A5 from McMillan and for the barrel I went with a Bartlein 26" in M24 contour.

I am considering one of the actions from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Has anyone had any experience with one of their actions, good or bad?

Also, is there a muzzle break that really stands out above all others? I have been looking at the Fat B and have heard good things about the Muscle Brake?

Thanks again for the input!

Joe

Also, is there a muzzle break that really stands out above all others? I have been looking at the Fat B and have heard good things about the Muscle Brake?

Thanks again for the input!

Joe

I meant to say I have been hearing good things about the T3 and T4 Terminator brakes.

Following this because I'm thinking of building a 325 WSM and loading a wee bit longer than SAAMI spec.

About . . .
IMG_0896a_zps1g7tstir.jpg

. . . that long.
The Defiance XM-length action will allow up to 3.2" COAL.

What I learn here might be applied to my build :cool:

Following this because I'm thinking of building a 325 WSM and loading a wee bit longer than SAAMI spec.

About . . .
IMG_0896a_zps1g7tstir.jpg

. . . that long.
The Defiance XM-length action will allow up to 3.2" COAL.

What I learn here might be applied to my build :cool:

mgood, welcome to the thread. Lot's of great input here so far!

Last edited:
The muzzle break I am using on this rifle is one of Idahoctd 4 port break. I really like his breaks. Nate does some Awsome work! My coal is 3.165. This is 30thou off the lands. This is 215 Berger Hybrids

Brian

I just received mine from Moon at Crescent Customs:

300 WSM
Manners Elite MCS-TA
Bartlein 1-10, GAP #6, 25" Fluted
BigHorn Action
Moon Tuned old style Rem Trigger (Really Nice)
Badger Ordnance Brake
APA Bottom
NF ATACR F1

Weight comes in around 11-1/2 pounds.

I just received mine from Moon at Crescent Customs:

300 WSM
Manners Elite MCS-TA
Bartlein 1-10, GAP #6, 25" Fluted
BigHorn Action
Moon Tuned old style Rem Trigger (Really Nice)
Badger Ordnance Brake
APA Bottom
NF ATACR F1

Weight comes in around 11-1/2 pounds.

Let us know how it shoots! Sounds like a great rifle. Would love to see a pic of it if you have one.

Here is mine
Schultz&Larsen classic 97 DL switch barrel system
300wsm in a long action
24 " match barrel
grs decimal sporter stock
just love the wsm

Attachments

• DSC_0305.jpg
    DSC_0305.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 202
Brianc74 can you pm me your load data for rl26 and if it is compressed. What did you find as your max load with that combo?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.