300 WSM on a long action

That's another nifty feature of the Tikka T3 family.

30-06
300WSM
300Win Mag

...all load from the same detachable magazine (provided the bolt stop is in the right place)

In other words they offer one magazine for long action (L)

One magazine for short action (M)

And one for .223rem. / .204 Ruger (S)

No fussing about with Magnum or Standard versions - so long as the length works, one size fits all. I remember being quite surprised when I learned that.

You might have to redefine your overall COAL goal by using a long action. As @Hand Skills noted, the .300 WSM takes on new life at >3.1." "I" personally would save the RUM action for a project where you can take full advantage of its benefits. "I" would go with 7MM RM/300 WM LA, but that's just me. Below is one of my .300 WSM's load (215 Berger with a COAL of 2.97") on a PMag 7MM RM/.300 WM LA that easily accommodates 3.5" COAL.

View attachment 266297

Just my 2-pence for your consideration.

Ed
Food for thought. So there has been a lot of discussion and opinion on feeding ability of 300 RUM vs 300 WM / 264 WM / 7 RM actions. Yesterday, based on FEENIX experience and others, I bought a 2001 Model 70 Classic (CRF) in 300 WM to scavenge the action for a blueprinted 300 WSM build. When I loaded my current short action 300 WSM cartridges in the magazine, it fed without fail or hesitation. The bolt demonstrated immediate engagement and control of the rounds to shoulder bump at the Win Mag chamber. I did this a few times. And, there is at least 0.3" of cartridge length still available in the Winchester factory magazine. Looks like a Win-win to me!

Looking for some guidance please. I'm building a 270WSM and plan on using a Long Action Kelbly Atlas Lite. I want you use a M5 style bottom metal and have a question about which mag. I currently run a 6.5PRC in a long action using the 300RUM 3.715 Accurate Mag. Will this mag also fundamentally function the same with the WSM? Thanks in advance for the reply's.

image.jpg

Looking for some guidance please. I'm building a 270WSM and plan on using a Long Action Kelbly Atlas Lite. I want you use a M5 style bottom metal and have a question about which mag. I currently run a 6.5PRC in a long action using the 300RUM 3.715 Accurate Mag. Will this mag also fundamentally function the same with the WSM? Thanks in advance for the reply's.

View attachment 527984
Yep, Let Her Eat

So I appreciate the help. Any advice you can throw towards this thread would be appreciated. Looking for guidance on cutting my chamber for the 270WSM.