300 WSM on a long action

Was it a Winchester factory short action or a long action? I'm curious about the long actions.
If you used a short action with a controlled round feed you might have to remove the bolt to unload unfired rounds with heavy for caliber bullets seated out for maximum performance. They would single load okay but likely not fit in your magazine making your rifle a single shot. No problem like that with the long action.

I have a Win Mod 70 EW - 'short' action (actually allows a little over 3.1" in the mag box)

No problems feeding, but mine is from 2009.

I do remember hearing of problems with some of the first WSM's.

I have only seen one that did not feed reliably myself - it just required a little tuning (opening up) of the feed lips.

My research suggests this problem was limited to early 2000's production actions.
I haven't heard that. I have an introductory year (2001) Win 300 WSM that has showed zero feed problems with 180 gr boolits. My question is motivated because I plan to build one on long action for 200 gr + and would like to build a light mountain rifle. CRF adds weight and cost to the action/bolt but I would do it if it eliminates potential for feed jams.

I guess I need to find out worse case total OAL for a stretchered to the max 300 wsm load? As long as it's under 3.2 then the XM action from defiance would work. If not then LA it is.

I haven't heard that. I have an introductory year (2001) Win 300 WSM that has showed zero feed problems with 180 gr boolits. My question is motivated because I plan to build one on long action for 200 gr + and would like to build a light mountain rifle. CRF adds weight and cost to the action/bolt but I would do it if it eliminates potential for feed jams.

As I understand it, the main benefit of CRF is in the case one 'short strokes' the bolt, sending a fired piece of brass back toward the chamber.

There are pros and cons to the mechanical ejector as well. I have babied the bolt and failed to eject a case before. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

On the other hand, a skilled operator knows the strengths and weaknesses of their platform...

There are dozens of threads on the CRF debate. I kno for many of us, it is beating a dead horse, so your best bet may be using the search feature.

I did the same thing you are talking about (300wsm on a long action) on a Tikka. I like the way it feeds (center feed magazine) better than the CRF, personally, but I never intend on shooting inverted or anything like that.

As I understand it, the main benefit of CRF is in the case one 'short strokes' the bolt, sending a fired piece of brass back toward the chamber.

There are pros and cons to the mechanical ejector as well. I have babied the bolt and failed to eject a case before. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

On the other hand, a skilled operator knows the strengths and weaknesses of their platform...

There are dozens of threads on the CRF debate. I kno for many of us, it is beating a dead horse, so your best bet may be using the search feature.

I did the same thing you are talking about (300wsm on a long action) on a Tikka. I like the way it feeds (center feed magazine) better than the CRF, personally, but I never intend on shooting inverted or anything like that.
Thanks for replying. Very helpful feedback. I'm primarily looking at Defiance, Stiller, and Tikka actions. Really like the integral scope mounts on Defiance. Really like all of their reputations and the Tikka price point. Curious if the Tikka action will require any truing / squaring for bolt face???

Thanks for replying. Very helpful feedback. I'm primarily looking at Defiance, Stiller, and Tikka actions. Really like the integral scope mounts on Defiance. Really like all of their reputations and the Tikka price point. Curious if the Tikka action will require any truing / squaring for bolt face???
I would scratch two out of three mentioned, but with the Defiance action you know you are getting a quality product and you can be assured it's true. The other custom mentioned is a good product, but not nearly at the level as the Defiance. The Tikka if I am going to build a custom, I would go through the steps to make sure it is true….more money spent so why not just purchase a Defiance as mentioned. You know if you dont you will be doubting yourself later.

Glad I could help. Tikka actions are really well done. Most gunsmiths agree they do not need truing, and some barrel makers are so confident in the consistency they offer prefit barrels.

For me, I've been making the switch to hollow points, so I like the idea of detachable magazines. They keep ammo well protected from pocket lint and deformation/loss of concentricity. The Tikka mags are light weight and they are easy to handle in the cold. Haha, yes I am running the factory bottom 'plastic'.

On top, there are some good rails available for Tikka. The actions come with a hole in the top of the receiver, and some manufacturers take advantage of this to pin their rings/rails. NEAR is among the best, made of stainless steel, and the pin and rail are machined out of one piece. Ultimate strength and precision, but they are heavy at just over 5oz. I have a couple of Area 419 rails which are made out of 7075 (not to be confused with 6061) aluminum. They are strong and light at about 2.4oz. They come with a stainless steel pin for the receiver.

Cost no object, I would love to try a Defiance Anti, but I'm having trouble feeding the stable I currently have! In fact I have even considered putting my made in USA BACO Extreme Weather up for sale... Say it ain't so!

Last edited:
I
guess I'm a cheap as and look for the biggest bang for my buck. I've done prefits on 2 Savage,tikka, and a Remington. If I'm going to purchase a rife just to remove a barrel why not buy just a custom action like Mack Bros at $575 cost of a rifle or a Bighorn $900 both will except prefit and are Remington clones with Sako/ M16 extractors.I'm leaning on the Mack Bros myself.

I 2nd what hand skills stated. My smith actually stated that same thing about tikka, and browning for that matter. For me it came down to impact precision or defiance(and you cant go wrong with either!). I decided on defiance as there tolerances are insane, there customer service is 2nd to none, and the custom options available to you are unlimited. Also if you are unhappy for ANY reason, they will give you a complete refund.

Here in Canada, a lightly used stainless Tikka T3 (complete), a Wildcat stock and an IBI Barrel cost less than what a Defiance action would run me new. That's action only, to which I would need to add; trigger, bottom metal, stock, and barrel. I want an AnTi bad, but not *that* bad!

I keep telling myself I'll do a full custom once I find the perfect cartridge... Fortunately I'm just 25yrs into the hobby, with any luck I'll have another 25 (hopefully more), to go... No need to rush things!

I would scratch two out of three mentioned, but with the Defiance action you know you are getting a quality product and you can be assured it's true. The other custom mentioned is a good product, but not nearly at the level as the Defiance. The Tikka if I am going to build a custom, I would go through the steps to make sure it is true….more money spent so why not just purchase a Defiance as mentioned. You know if you dont you will be doubting yourself later.
Yea. I was in Richard King's machine shop a week ago and he told me if I bought a Defiance, or one of a handful of other precision actions, there is no truing to be done. He said any smith/machinist that said he would "true" one of those is full of s#%t and I should run.

Only problem i have with a tikka is there recoil lug, I personally like the tapered part of the face machined off for a recoil lug like PTG has to match the action profile.

Ya, they used to be aluminum too, IIRC. Aftermarket Stainless (and Ti) lugs are available, and probably a good upgrade for any cartridge shooting bullets over 100 grains or so.

I think you need ultra mag feed lips. 300 wm & 7mm RM feed lips are narrower. The WSM is a little wider than an ultra magnum. Your best bet for good reliable feeding is to use an ultra mag action along with a Wyatt's center feed magazine box (CFE).
That's if you plan on using regular bottom metal.