300 WSM on a long action

If you don't get any replies call some of the smith's that build them. A friend of mine bought a used ga precision long action 700 rem in 300 wsm. It wouldn't feed so I got a Wyatt # 13 magazine for it and it did feed.i don't know what the rifle was originally clambered for. Good luck.

The 300WSM takes on a new life loaded to ~3.150"

Saw on another thread that ADG has 300 WSM coming - apparently there is a waiting list.

Screenshot_2019-06-26-15-44-11.png

Photo credit to Swamplord

Edited to add a link;

Last edited:
I'm building a 7 SAUM on a long RUM (Def anti) running freebore set to put a 180 berger at 3.15 as well.

Looked at various options from wyatts to a mid length action but the long seemed the easiest and most reliable option. The mid would work great but it becomes almost proprietary with bottom metal and stocks. I'm already using a proprietary stock which is short and long only. I like it better than the idea of a mid length action.

Sorry for hijacking this thread or violating any forum rules. I'm also going to be building a 300 wsm & have read that putting it on a LA is the way to go. My question is what are the pros vs cons doing it on a LA vs SA? I reload so I want flexibility with OAL & stretching into the lands. One question I do have is going to a LA definitely give me more magazine length? Or is that accomplished with the bottom metal/set-up I go with or both? Thanks.

Sorry for hijacking this thread or violating any forum rules. I'm also going to be building a 300 wsm & have read that putting it on a LA is the way to go. My question is what are the pros vs cons doing it on a LA vs SA? I reload so I want flexibility with OAL & stretching into the lands. One question I do have is going to a LA definitely give me more magazine length? Or is that accomplished with the bottom metal/set-up I go with or both? Thanks.

I think this is a good question, and I don't see it discussed much.

If a guy is ok with foregoing the magazine and 'single loading', he can load to whatever OACL he wants in a short action. The MAIN benifet of a long action is being able to load the chamber from the magazine, and eject loaded rounds. With a short action and long OACLs, sometimes the bolt needs to be removed to get a round out of the chamber because it is too long to pass through the ejection port.

Magazine length is interesting. Manufacturers do different things when it comes to magazine length, and with aftermarket 'bottom metal' options, sometimes it's possible to extend the magazine length some.

here is a thread worth looking at;

Not all chambers are equal, either. See

I'm planning on building a 300 WSM on a long action.
Will a Ultra mag donor action work with the larger feed rails? ( I have a spare action/bolt)
Or do I need a 7mm mag/300 mag long action
Thanks
You might have to redefine your overall COAL goal by using a long action. As @Hand Skills noted, the .300 WSM takes on new life at >3.1." "I" personally would save the RUM action for a project where you can take full advantage of its benefits. "I" would go with 7MM RM/300 WM LA, but that's just me. Below is one of my .300 WSM's load (215 Berger with a COAL of 2.97") on a PMag 7MM RM/.300 WM LA that easily accommodates 3.5" COAL.

.300 WSM in .300 WM PMag.jpg

Just my 2-pence for your consideration.

Ed