.300 WSM on Sako Long Action - Options?

arrowbuck

New to long range shooting and trying to learn a lot and get geared up to get in the game....... I already have a rifle chambered in .300 WSM but.......

Just found out my Sako 75 Finnlite in .300 WSM purchased back in 2004 is built on a long action (V action)...!! Apparently Sako built a few rifles like that in '03 before they got fully stocked up on SM actions. So that leaves me with a few questions:

1) Does long action give me any additional .300 WSM reload options (specifically longer bullets with higher BC) given that I have a factory magazine/set-up or would i have to shoot 'em one at a time?

2) Any other factory caliber options for the long action set-up (without changing barrels) to improve accuracy out to 1000 yards? ..... and if not.....

3) Do I have any good options for building a long range, highly accurate rifle using my existing Sako V action and if so what calibers, barrels (manufacturers and specs) would you recommend? Been thinking about 6.5 family but open to any suggestions.....

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.....!!

I have a Sako AV action that I rebarreled to a 7WSM. the reamer had a very long throat so I can really seat the bullet's out there and have ample mag space.
I was hoping to use the Berger 180gr VLD but the 1-9" twist Shilen barrel did not like them, the 168 VLD's had too short of a bearing surface but the 160gr Accubond works great.
If I had the project to do over again it would have a faster twist barrel.

Thanks for your reply Uncle B..... I'm not a reloader yet, but its probably something I'll get in to this year because it looks like fun and also opens up a whole new world of options for performance. My Sako factory barrel is a 1:11 twist which doesn't sound too promising for shooting amped up reloads accurately out to long distances (600-1000yds).

Would the Finnlight Sako V action make a good platform for a long range rebuild (I want a rig I can carry, not a bench gun)? Anyone out there ever build anything off of a Sako V action in the 6.5 family? I'm looking at 6.5 x 284 pretty hard right now based on ballistics.

Talked to JB at Accuflite in PA today. They specialize in custom builds on Sako Action. He said the V Action (magnum long action) wouldn't work for the 6.5 x 284. Guess I'll just keep my Sako 75 rifle in .300 WSM as there is no reason or justification to spend the money to turn it into a .300 WSM. At least, I've got a good excuse now to just go ahead and buy a another gun...... :)

Talked to JB at Accuflite in PA today. They specialize in custom builds on Sako Action. He said the V Action (magnum long action) wouldn't work for the 6.5 x 284. Guess I'll just keep my Sako 75 rifle in .300 WSM as there is no reason or justification to spend the money to turn it into a .300 WSM. At least, I've got a good excuse now to just go ahead and buy a another gun...... :)

if its a true long action a new mcmillan stock and a check of your magazine inside length and you might be able to do the new 7MMLRM from Gunwerks! You need to check your inside magazine overall lenght and you will know the possibilities, I had a sako 75 on a standard bolt face and turned it from a 25-06 to a 280AI. Sakos are great yet you should first get into reloading and then worry about the rest. Reloading is the key that opens the door to a number of cartriges. If you handloaded then I would say make a 270 wsm or even better a 270 RSUAM. use the new berger 170VLDs that are coming out this month and you are in business.

I haven't ever heard of the 7mmLRM...... sounds interesting...!! How does it compare to 7mm WSM ballistically? Does it have better 1000 yrd drop and wind drift numbers? What about for hunting application and 600 yrd terminal energy? (Thinking about elk). Not sure if I'd take the plunge for a re-barrel on a new wildcat cartridge if there was a more mainstream alternative unless the wildcat offered a significant advantage.....

Not sure about by inside magazine length, I'll try to measure but I believe it is a larger magazine appropriate for long magnum action. Does Sako have specs on that? Anyone know if V Action would be an appropriate build platform for 7mm Magnum family? I would want to shoot 180 berger vlds eventually......

I haven't ever heard of the 7mmLRM...... sounds interesting...!! How does it compare to 7mm WSM ballistically? Does it have better 1000 yrd drop and wind drift numbers? What about for hunting application and 600 yrd terminal energy? (Thinking about elk). Not sure if I'd take the plunge for a re-barrel on a new wildcat cartridge if there was a more mainstream alternative unless the wildcat offered a significant advantage.....

Not sure about by inside magazine length, I'll try to measure but I believe it is a larger magazine appropriate for long magnum action. Does Sako have specs on that? Anyone know if V Action would be an appropriate build platform for 7mm Magnum family? I would want to shoot 180 berger vlds eventually......

7LRM is made by gunwerks. They are doing the gunsmithing on my pierce action, benchmark barrel, and tactical muscle break right now. I think they are very reasonable. The 7LRM is a proproetary cartrige and is based on a necked down (with different dimensions) 375 Ruger. They have headstamped brass from hornady and hornady comp dies. This will send a 180gr berger to 3100-3150fps where a 7wsm to the same pressures all else equal will do 2850-2950. This is an easy 200fps gain in a standard magnum reciever (300 win mag length) and will work with the normal 3.6" COAL needed to feed out of most magnum magazines.

When berger comes out with there 195 hybrid hunting bullet this will send it to 2950 and will have between 1500-1600 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards.

If your magazine is a magnum and not a wsm then all you have to do is do a simple rebarrel. you can get barrel blanks from bugholes.com in a few days from $330 and the chamber, crown and thread is $250 from gunwerks. Brass is ~$1.25 a piece (half of what dakota brass is) and isnt much different from other quality brass prices. You can stick with your 300 wsm just fine but it has to have the twist to shoot the 190-210 class bergers to really be viable. if it cant stablize these then I would just rebarrel it.

I rebarreled my sako 75 from a 25-06 to a 280AI with a benchmark barrel and it shot lights out. I sold it to MTNRUNNER and he can attest to the excellent accuracy claims. The choice is yours but its hard to turn down. You can also purchase loaded ammo from gunwerks if you dont want to reload.

MidnightMalloy,

Thanks so much for the info...... It appears that 7mmLRM offers significant performance advantage over 7mm WSM. I will definitely take a hard look at it. Any idea on "barrel life expectancy"? :) The more I've read about 7mm options the more sold I am on it as a dual purpose long range accuracy/ hunting set-up.

arrowbuck,
If you have not done much reloading DO NOT get a wildcat, best advise I can give you is tinker with loading with the rifle you have, Sako makes a better than average factory barrel. By the time the factory barrel is toast you will have a much better idea of what you really want than you do now.

arrowbuck,
If you have not done much reloading DO NOT get a wildcat, best advise I can give you is tinker with loading with the rifle you have, Sako makes a better than average factory barrel. By the time the factory barrel is toast you will have a much better idea of what you really want than you do now.

the 7lrm is just like loading for anything else that's a normal factory cartridge. there is no fireforming or necking down or up. just get the brass, dies and put it together like anything else. I do agree that if you are new not to do a true wildcat that includes fireforming or extensive brass prep. that is not the case with the 7LRM

You could go with a 7STW and get the same numbers as the Gunwerks cartridge and it has a history, brass cheaper and plenty of over the counter ammo.

That's hands down what I'd do. Talk with a gunsmith about whether shooting the 180 bergers is the ticket or the 191-02 grain ones coming out. They are supposed to have a really high bc. However, I've heard they need a faster twist rate. Much depends on what range you are going to harvest at. But the 7stw does have plenty of loaded ammunition out there to buy and a whole culture of followers and hunting experience available here and other places. Obviously, I like the caliber, sorry to ramble.

The 7stw can shoot many bullet types, so Bergers aren't the only game out there.

Ask a gunsnith though. Mag length on your Sako? Is it 3.8? I guess that's a big question.

I would by the very best reloading equipment that I could afford and start developing those skills first. You mentioned elk and a 1000 yards in the same sentence so it's time to slow down and give this some thought. I believe your 300wsm. is a very capable and efficient choice so you might think of keeping with it. Bed the rifle, make sure the trigger is crisp, use a good scope that you have proven to be repeatable. These 3 things with some quality hand loads may just be all you need to reach your goals. If that doesn't quite get you where you want to be a quality barrel squared up to your action will work wonders for you. This is where you have to decide if you want to put that much into your current rifle or sell it and build off a Rem 700 or even a full custom, all depends on how much you got to burn. Take your time and ask lots of questions, your in the right place.

As soon as I'm done paying for all my reloading stuff I'll be building a 300wsm on a long action with an extended mag. box so I can shoot the 210's-230's.

I chose 300wsm over the big 7's like the 7stw because I like the much better barrel life. I plan on shooting this gun a lot. If that's not a big deal to you the 7stw is impressive. The 7wsm is another great choice. Hell there all good, it's hard to narrow it down. Best of luck!!!

I like that 300wsm cartridge too. It's looks like a real keeper and may find it's place in history like the 30-06 and 308. I've got a 7wsm besides my 7stw and by 7wsm action can handle the 300wsm, so I plan to get another barrel in 300 and have a switch barrel set up. I like the 7 caliber a lot, but the 30 has a vast selection of bullets, heavier too, extending killing power. There are some who are going 7-300wsm and the most I can figure out is that the neck is better on the 300wsm cases than the 7wsm. A shooter in Europe set the record over there (1000 yd-br) with the 7-300wsm. He liked the case of the 300 wsm better than the 7wsm, but chose a 7mm bullet at the time. This was 2007 I believe, his article and write up is on 6mmbr. His name is Vince ____, I forget his last name.

Interesting article he wrote about the 7-300wsm.

I wouldn't sell a 300wsm capable gun as it's a keeper caliber unless it can't be made accurate. Sako's are pretty good designs too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.