Long action build??

joebut1985

I currently have a McMillan a5 for a long action that I can not get rid of so I have decided to build something for it. I was wondering what your guys thoughts where on running a 6.5x55 in a long action or any 6.5 for that matter? I want to keep the caliper in the 6.5 group and keep my powder charges to less than 50 grains, so no magnums, wildcats or larger calipers. Guns only being built to plink around with and to shoot long distance 1k or less. I was thinking the 6.5x55 would probably be the best candidate for this, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

Not much in the way of decent factory ammo for the swede so i assume that you reload. If you do it is a nice little cartridge that should be easy on barrels and the shooter. Another candidate my be the 6.5x284. It would be right there around 50 grains of powder. As would the 6.5x06. It should match the 6.5x284 performance wise and is as easy to make as can be. Just resize and trim, as I do anyway with new brass. Hope this helps.

I currently have a McMillan a5 for a long action that I can not get rid of so I have decided to build something for it. I was wondering what your guys thoughts where on running a 6.5x55 in a long action or any 6.5 for that matter? I want to keep the caliper in the 6.5 group and keep my powder charges to less than 50 grains, so no magnums, wildcats or larger calipers. Guns only being built to plink around with and to shoot long distance 1k or less. I was thinking the 6.5x55 would probably be the best candidate for this, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

Excellent choice of chambering! There's something very nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede; it has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong esp. in the EU.

I started both my boys hunting at age 10 with a 6.5x55 Swede Carl Gustav 1894 carbine (18" barrel) and it's quite the shooter.

Good luck on your build.

I chose a long action for my 6.5 build because if I wanted a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 I could.
I ended up going with a 6.5 Creedmoor, I have no issues with Cartridge OAL.
The 6.5x55 would be a great cartridge for a long action, it's what ever floats your boat.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts