Any reason to do a long action build?

jpfrog

So, in cleaning up my office today, I realized I have a couple of very nice walnut stocks for Rem700 actions. One is a short action ADL from the early 1970's that I plan to use on a .243win build when my oldest son gets a little older. The other is a factory new, never had an action installed BDL stock with a beautiful satin finish for a long action. My thought was to install a stainless action/barrel in this and use as a hunting rifle. I live in Texas, and do almost all of my hunting here, and have no plans to be anywhere near snow anytime soon while hunting- though I'd love to, we just don't have it here and I seldom get the time off or $$ to take a trip where it would be an issue.

Not counting plinkers, I already have a 6.5x47, .308win, .270win, .300win mag. The .270 is my deer rifle (sporter contour, walnut stock) that I've had worked on over the years and shoots sub .5 moa with Core-Lokt (yeah, I didn't believe it either until I looked at the groups), which is why I haven't worked up a load for it because I have so much of the factory ammo sitting around and don't see the need until it runs out. The others are currently used mostly as range toys (synthetic stocks and sendero contours) and all shoot .25 to .5 moa with handloads. I ONLY use bullets in my handloads that I can also take hunting- otherwise I'd be chasing .1 moa or better groups with match bullets.

So, what do do with this beautiful long action walnut BDL stock? Again, all my rifles shoot hunting bullets first- no competitions for now. Also, I have a fondness for Lapua brass. I'm out of luck with the .300win mag, but the 6.5 and the .308 both use it. The .270 I don't load for yet but there isn't Lapua available for that (and I have about 10 years worth of 1x fired brass laying around already). The rifle that I build, if I build, will take preference to something that Lapua makes brass for unless someone can sell me on another brass manufacturer. I know Lapua makes 30-06 brass, but am wondering if that be too similar to my .270, .308, and .300?

Thoughts?

Get some RWS brass for your 270. It is as tough as lapua and you can get It from Huntington dies. I use it in all my long action Sherman cartridges now.....rich

I'd forget the lapua brass and make an American 7mm. Something like 280AI. Or maybe don't forget the lapua brass and go 6.5-284.

I considered both of those, actually- the 6.5-284 intrigues me as another 6.5 round. The 280AI, believe it or not, is what got me interested in long-ish range just shy of a decade ago- I was reading an article in some magazine about building "the ultimate long range" rig...I forget the magazine, but it got me curious and I eventually ended up with a 300win mag. Been thinking about that 280ai a lot though, just not sure if it is going to be a significant difference over my 270win?

I should add, this build will likely be a sporter, or heavy sporter contour.

Get some RWS brass for your 270. It is as tough as lapua and you can get It from Huntington dies. I use it in all my long action Sherman cartridges now.....rich

I've heard great things about RWS brass, but I've also heard of its expense and difficulty in locating it. I have a few hundred 1x fired Remington and Federal cases, so I'm likely to at least give those a try...once my factory Core-Lokt supply runs out (I have about 120 left, so maybe another season or two if I hit the range a little harder with this rifle instead of the others).

Neck that 280ai down to 6.5 and you've got a gun to have fun with. There was a guy at my local gun range that had one and it was driving tacks.

I was referring to the long action Sherman earlier by comparing it to the A.I. The ss, or Sherman Shortmag, is the wsm sized case. The difference is the ss is shorter, has a 40 degree shoulder and less body taper. The ss will keep up with the wsm unless the wizzem is throated and single feed. .....rich

I don't know what the nosler does but the Sherman runs them well around 2930. It will max around 3000. The nosler is no doubt faster, but the ss does it with 58 grains of powder vs a cup full with the nosler.....rich

I don't know what the nosler does but the Sherman runs them well around 2930. It will max around 3000. The nosler is no doubt faster, but the ss does it with 58 grains of powder vs a cup full with the nosler.....rich[/QUOTe
oops! I got off tangent and was talking ss. I never shot them when I had my 7 Sherman because I don't hink they were out yet but the no doubt would reach 3000 if maxed out. The Sheman and the SS are pretty much a wash velocity wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.