Any reason not to get a Bighorn Origin LA?

R_Swanson

Hey guys - I am not ignorant to most of the options out there, so I am not coming to this blind - but I havent kept up on what custom action everyone is loving these days (other than knowing the PRS/Snipershide guys all love Impacts).

Price sort of matters. I actually kind of wanted an M995 because I have a TRG42 with both the .534 and .590 bolts, so buying one with a .473 would round out the package and be pretty cool... but by the time I buy the gun, buy the Near mfg rail, buy the Proof barrel, send it all to LRI and have him mount the rail and barrel, etc (not to mention how much of a PITA it is to get stocks for TRG/M995's, another thing I'd rather not deal with) it just makes way more sense to get a Rem LA footprint custom action, as I'll save some money and its way easier to get and swap stocks.

Plan is to build a 300 PRC. I like the idea of CRF and swappable bolt faces. Also like the price and that there's so many prefit options for Bighorns. This will be my first custom action. For long range/precision guns I own Tikka's and Sako's currently.

Just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything if I go with the Origin.

I did a build with the origin last year and have no regrets. Mine is a sa chambered in 308 I feel like it is a great action for the price and also having the option to swap bolt heads as you mentioned is a plus. I got two deer with it last year one in wy and one here in pa the accuracy has been great with 130 grain Barnes ttsx. I will say it isn't as smooth as my single shot defiance deviant polished action on my custom bench gun but that is also a whole different setup. I have been trying to talk myself out of another origin for awhile just because I know I don't really need another custom setup at the moment lol. But I think you would really enjoy it I know I do for the price.

I did a build with the origin last year and have no regrets. Mine is a sa chambered in 308 I feel like it is a great action for the price and also having the option to swap bolt heads as you mentioned is a plus. I got two deer with it last year one in wy and one here in pa the accuracy has been great with 130 grain Barnes ttsx. I will say it isn't as smooth as my single shot defiance deviant polished action on my custom bench gun but that is also a whole different setup. I have been trying to talk myself out of another origin for awhile just because I know I don't really need another custom setup at the moment lol. But I think you would really enjoy it I know I do for the price.
Thanks. I know they have a great reputation. Guess I just wanted to make sure there wasnt a different option I should consider right now or I'd be missing out. Seems like there are so many good options right now for actions!

I've got a few of them as well as a tl3. It's a great option for it's price and I really like the fact it's easy to change bolt faces. There's quite a few barrel manufacturers offering shouldered prefits for the orgin as well which bodes well to the tolerances Zermatt Machine has on the orgin line.

Ya I completely agree there is a ton of great options. Another thing that I came to like is the quick take apart bolt if you ever need it. It sort of reminds me of a Winchester just twist the shroud and it comes apart (firing pin assembly and bolt body) if it ever needed cleaned in a bind. Remington takedown isn't bad just not as quick and easy for a wipe down especially if needed in field.

They are great to deal with as well. One I ordered w a mag bolt face came with a standard. One quick email and they shipped it to me and had it the next day. Great bunch of guys running that outfit.

I just had a 28 Sherman Magnum built on an Origin LA. I liked that I could choose anything from 6.5 Sherman through 30 Sherman Magnum on the same action.

Also it is a CRF action, but capable of easy single loading, feeds well from AICS mags. Very smooth. Nice DLC finish.

The only reason for me to choose something else is extreme lightweight, better looks like deep fluted bolt, one piece scope rail….etc.

Build the Origin.
You won't ever wish for anything better, and they're features are top notch, at any price.
Do it!

I have the sa tl3 and been around a few la and sa origins. I can't imagine a single regret. Great actions, flexible setup, and easy to work on bolt assembly. Absolutely love mine. If I was looking for another custom, that's exactly what I'd do without any hesitation

Last edited:
Hey guys - I am not ignorant to most of the options out there, so I am not coming to this blind - but I havent kept up on what custom action everyone is loving these days (other than knowing the PRS/Snipershide guys all love Impacts).

Price sort of matters. I actually kind of wanted an M995 because I have a TRG42 with both the .534 and .590 bolts, so buying one with a .473 would round out the package and be pretty cool... but by the time I buy the gun, buy the Near mfg rail, buy the Proof barrel, send it all to LRI and have him mount the rail and barrel, etc (not to mention how much of a PITA it is to get stocks for TRG/M995's, another thing I'd rather not deal with) it just makes way more sense to get a Rem LA footprint custom action, as I'll save some money and its way easier to get and swap stocks.

Plan is to build a 300 PRC. I like the idea of CRF and swappable bolt faces. Also like the price and that there's so many prefit options for Bighorns. This will be my first custom action. For long range/precision guns I own Tikka's and Sako's currently.

Just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything if I go with the Origin.
I have done over 15 long range hunting rifles with the bighorn origin for buds up here and they all love the actions and all are fitted with the proof carbonfiber barrels shoulder fit and six now have gotten other proof carbonefiber barrels and now have switch barrels best way to go

Finally purchasing a TL3 was one of the better firearm purchases I have made in my shooting career (I held off for way too long buying cheaper actions only to sell them when it wasn't what I really wanted). I think the TL3 is a worthwhile upgrade over the origin to get the fixed recoil lug, but the origin is a great action as well and I doubt you would notice much of a difference if you aren't doing frequent barrel changes.

Curious what others are doing to get the Origin to work with the 300 PRC. I think you have to use a DBM with the Origin and can't use a Wyatt's.

I have an SR3 and it doesn't have the Wyatts cut. I have it with a HS Precision DBM and not sure I can do a 300 PRC and load long. It can only go to 3.7" internal, realistically 3.690" for realiable feeding.

Last edited:
Curious what others are doing to get the Origin to work with the 300 PRC. I think you have to use a DBM with the Origin and can't use a Wyatt's.

I have an SR3 and it doesn't have the Wyatts cut. I have it with a HS Precision DBM and not sure I can do a 300 PRC and load long. It can only go to 3.7" internal, realistically 3.690" for realiable feeding.
Just a guess, machine out the cut for a Wyatt's or a cip 338 mag. I machined out a savage long action for a 300 prc build. Easy to do.