Any reason to thread a 6.5 PRC?

Darryle

I am not really interested in a suppressor for this rifle, no one will shoot this rife besides me and I am considering a plain 26" barrel with a recessed crown. I already wear custom hearing aids, so hearing isn't a concern for me, I have already destroyed the majority of it.

Besides resale value, any reason to consider threading the barrel?

I know a blended thread protector will solve my dilemma, but I haven't had one yet that did not shoot loose.

Barrel is a #3 Bartlein and in order to get a 5/8-24 thread, shouldn't it be at least a .700"/.725" diameter finished for a proper shoulder?

Mine came threaded with a brake, and I'd like to run a suppressor on it in the future.Its a all around deer /varmit, rig rifle.Mines 22'', but that's me, I don't want to always have to get my plugs in.Trying save what I have. I won't even shoot if I can't get my plugs in with my 338NM.Mine will be odd bear, deer,wolf ,etc

I thread everything. The less recoil the better. Especially running sound gear. No reason not to. I look at recoil like getting punched in the face. It bothers sum people much less than others but never met anyone who likes it or doesn't mind it. Plus you ah e the option for a protected cover if you choose. I have all my protectors made to the barrel so most blend perfect and never come lose and I just hand tighten them.

IMO, thread it. It gives you options down the road. I will not even consider buying or building a rig that isn't threaded. If your thread protector wants to work loose a couple drops of vibratite takes care of that issue.

I am not really interested in a suppressor for this rifle, no one will shoot this rife besides me and I am considering a plain 26" barrel with a recessed crown. I already wear custom hearing aids, so hearing isn't a concern for me, I have already destroyed the majority of it.

Besides resale value, any reason to consider threading the barrel?

I know a blended thread protector will solve my dilemma, but I haven't had one yet that did not shoot loose.

Barrel is a #3 Bartlein and in order to get a 5/8-24 thread, shouldn't it be at least a .700"/.725" diameter finished for a proper shoulder?
This boils down to personal preferences and intended purpose. Unless it is a collector item, the resale value should not suffer by threading the muzzle.

The only reason I could give you for threading it is for options, I myself like the option to add a brake or suppressor if I so choose in the future. I have always ended up kicking myself in the butt when I did not add an option at the time of purchasing something.

If you dont plan on using a suppressor, keep it 26".
A Bart #3 is about .725 at 19"-20", depending on shank length, so you'd have to chop it a lot to thread it 5/8x24.

Well, when I bought this barrel, my goal was a 20" or 22" barrel for weight shavings. I didn't want it any longer than I needed to burn every grain of Vihtavuori powder. It arrived and then I figured out I wasn't going to save that much by going short. So now I am thinking I will just crown and go.

When I asked about the contour of the #3 and #3b, I wasn't really thinking about threading it. I was more concerned with weight and twist.

I wish manufacturers would post approximate weights at every finished length from at least the 20" mark.

I know I am done with carbon wrapped, you don't save weight, but you do save having to deal with a finicky barrel.

Well, when I bought this barrel, my goal was a 20" or 22" barrel for weight shavings. I didn't want it any longer than I needed to burn every grain of Vihtavuori powder. It arrived and then I figured out I wasn't going to save that much by going short. So now I am thinking I will just crown and go.

When I asked about the contour of the #3 and #3b, I wasn't really thinking about threading it. I was more concerned with weight and twist.

I wish manufacturers would post approximate weights at every finished length from at least the 20" mark.

I know I am done with carbon wrapped, you don't save weight, but you do save having to deal with a finicky barrel.
If you compare the same profile CF vs steel, you absolutely will save weight with a CF. How was the CF finicky? I have a few CF and haven't had an issue with them, actually mine have been easier to do load development.

I would thread it.if you have an issue with the thread protector getting loose add a drop of green loctite to the threads