300 win or 300 wsm?

Tikkamike

I am toying with the idea of getting one or the other. i know they are pretty comparable ballisticly i have played with 300 win and I like them but just wondering if any of you have run into certain things you like or dislike more about one or the other. I am kind of up in the air about which to get. all opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Well that doesn't really answer the question. This is just my all around elk gun I'm not really into over bore like the 300 ultra. I have had 2 of them they aren't what I'm looking for. Thanks though

They are pretty much ballistic twins untill you go above the 190-200 grain class bullets.

The 300WM is a belted magnum and is headspaced as such.

The 300WSM has no belt and is headspaced off of the shoulder.

Given the two choices I would opt for the WSM and stick with the 175 - 190 weight class bullets. I currently own a 300WSM built on a long action. I shoot the 175 Berger VLD and do quite well running a 12 twist 28" barrel.

BTW, mine will shoot and stabilize a 210 just fine.

300 WSM will stay with the Win Mag until you go over 200 grain bullets!

2-3x barrel life of win mag and short action.

Pretty sure a 180 at 2970 fps will work for an elk.

In fact the winchester factory ballistics has the WSM over the Win mag with 180s.

BH

Last edited:
You can headspace the 300WM off the shoulder after the brass has been fired once. Also, I don't believe the WSM will run with the regular WM. Factory loads for the WSM tend to run on the warm side and with my reloaded 180gr. Accubonds in my WM, I get 3150 with no pressure. I did a ton of research on these two rounds before I had my 300WM built and found out that the 300 WSM fits pretty much right in the middle of the 30-06 and the 300WM. The benefits of the short action are over-rated too I think. You only save around 4oz. in weight and a well built long action is just as accurate as a short action. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge WSM fan. I own a 270 WSM and have seriously considered having a 300 WSM and a 7WSM built. After a years worth of research, I decided on the 300WM and I'm waiting on my 7RM to be built.
Now all that being said, I don't think any animal will notice the difference between the WSM and WM. Shoot which ever one turns your crank.

The 300wsm gets my vote, with reloder 17 it will do whatever the 300wm does with bullets up to 200gr using less powder and a shorter barrel!!

I've found less "felt" recoil with the .300 win mag, and ton's of load data available.

i was in the same debate you were and i choose the 300. wsm and i have never regretted it. I have shot the 300. wsm, 300 win mag and even the 300 weatherby mag. My personal preference was the 300. wsm. With less felt recoil, fantastic accuracy and knock down power. With the shorter barrel, shorter action, better barrel life with the same power and velocity as the win mag.. why not just go for the WSM.

My vote is the 300. wsm

Depending on any slight deviations in your criteria I don't think one really has any advantage over the other...so when faced with that situation then I usually go with the one I'm drawn to (like) more.

Depending on any slight deviations in your criteria I don't think one really has any advantage over the other...so when faced with that situation then I usually go with the one I'm drawn to (like) more.

I like Chas's comment alot. I sold my 260 rems that I was using for targets and traning and had a 300 wsm build to go with my 300 win mag. I have the win mag for long shots from stationary positions it is a bit heavy and long to hunt fast brush.

I had the wsm build alot lighter for a general hunting rifle that is capable of being tossed to the shoulder and fired fast if need be but still able to get in the prone and hit the 1000 yard gong.

You can headspace the 300WM off the shoulder after the brass has been fired once. Also, I don't believe the WSM will run with the regular WM. Factory loads for the WSM tend to run on the warm side and with my reloaded 180gr. Accubonds in my WM, I get 3150 with no pressure. I did a ton of research on these two rounds before I had my 300WM built and found out that the 300 WSM fits pretty much right in the middle of the 30-06 and the 300WM. The benefits of the short action are over-rated too I think. You only save around 4oz. in weight and a well built long action is just as accurate as a short action. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge WSM fan. I own a 270 WSM and have seriously considered having a 300 WSM and a 7WSM built. After a years worth of research, I decided on the 300WM and I'm waiting on my 7RM to be built.
Now all that being said, I don't think any animal will notice the difference between the WSM and WM. Shoot which ever one turns your crank.
sierra recommends only neck sizing and also seating off the shoulder of a once fired case for the 300wm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.